PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Game Creation?

Mak-X
04-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Is anyone here into Game Creation?

-What is everyone's experience with creating games?
It could be anything from making your own game from scratch to a rpg with a rpg maker or Zelda Classic quest. Things like graphics, sound, and level design count too.

-What have you worked on so far?

-What did you find difficult about it?

-What would you like to do next?

Is anyone thinking about pursuing a career in the video game industry?

Sirklawd
04-24-2002, 06:15 PM
make videogames? yes please

ive only done very little

worked on zquest, for zelda classic

pretty much mastered Worldcraft - the level editor/creator for Hlaflife/ Quake and most of their mods.

and i have experience in a bunch of 3d software, lightwave, 3d studio max, Cinema 4d, Bryce

what i really want to do is learn C++, but unfortunately, there is only 24 hours in a day

The Savior
04-24-2002, 06:32 PM
I made a q-basic etch-a-sketch during my free time in computer class, does that count?

Dart Zaidyer
04-24-2002, 06:41 PM
It could be anything from making your own game from scratch to a rpg with a rpg maker or Zelda Classic quest. Things like graphics, sound, and level design count too.

I worked with Graal for the longest time, then quit and moved on.

Numerous little projects such as fangames and teeny remakes, though I lost all of it a while back. Right now I'm working on Damasca: The Conflicted Kingdoms, which is going to be an MMORPG.

Generally, the lack of tools or people to work with are the biggest snags you can hit when making your own game.
Here's a tip: Never hire strangers if you're going for a team. Only trust people you know, because you know them and they're more likely to be a friend and help.

Hah, that's a tough one! I've never really finished anything I started, aside from Damasca, and a few other things here and there. I suppose I'd like to make an innovative game based on my own universe of characters, once I figure out how.

Is anyone thinking about pursuing a career in the video game industry?
It depends on how well Damasca turns out, but maybe, just maybe, as long as I had my own company.

Brasel
04-24-2002, 06:42 PM
I've made 2 complete Zelda Quests, 3 incomplete RPGs on the RPG maker for PS, and one incomplete RPG on RPG Maker 2000.

The hardest thing in making games is finding motivation to keep going after you've seen the competition.

AlexMax
04-24-2002, 09:26 PM
I have made countless unfinished games in MZX.

What is MZX?

www.digitalmzx.net

And other than that....erm......

King Link
04-24-2002, 09:57 PM
I enjoy creating some games, but I think I have much to learn before I can actually create a game that is worth the while and fun to play. I may consider creating games as a career, but for now, I'd like to be a Medieval Anthropologist.:D

Still, games are fun and fun to make.

slothman
04-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by King Link
I may consider creating games as a career, but for now, I'd like to be a Medieval Anthropologist.:D You too. That actually sound fun. Mmmm. Medieval Anthropologistness [drools].

-Is anyone here into Game Creation?
yes
I've made a tetris clone and am working on Z2E right now.
Fixing hard-to-find bugs.
I haven't thought about it since Z2E and it's add-ons will take a long time.
-Is anyone thinking about pursuing a career in the video game industry?
I wouldn't mind, but since I don't have much official experience or degrees most lickly no one would hire me.

Jigglysaint
04-24-2002, 10:55 PM
One of the most importent words in my vocabulary: Level editor.

I have made a level 1 hack of Link's Awakining DX, and several rom hacks of other games. I like to play with Zquest(but I still have to get more quests out). Basically anything where I can edit the levels.

Dracula
04-24-2002, 11:32 PM
-Trying to make Zelda Quests, failing making a Castlevania remake, and making a very good game with ZZT

-Castlevania remake, Castlevania: Trail of Blood, and Happy Belmont

-Figuring out how Zquest worked when I first tried it

-actually succeeding

Rijuhn
04-25-2002, 02:55 AM
It's been my dream to make games for a living, and I kinda know what I want to do when I get to college. I'll most likely stay with computer graphics, and web design, and simple programming until I get a break (it may be that I get sent to E3 or somewhere for the gaming website that I'll work for.) I don't know how realistic my view is, but I hate being realistic, because it's to hard to predict it.

Mak-X
04-25-2002, 06:25 PM
(opps, guess they are the same!)

I made a couple of maps for Starcraft. At one time I was planning a series of maps based on Castlevania, that you would play one after the other like stages. The maps would be much smaller than the huge rpg maps of 256x256 that caused games to lag.

I worked on a rpg in OHRRPGCE (http://www.hamsterrepublic.com) but spent most of my time making a huge forest map, and learning how to script the intro and never got any farther.

When I played Graal Online, I created some screens for a world I was creating based on Zelda 3. You can see some here
http://www.geocities.com/gamemastermak/makgraal.html

I got involved in Open Zelda and finally joined AGN. I made a small map area in a early version of OZ when you had to write in a text file to connect the screens. Then I made a small quest that I didn't finish where I learned some more of the scripting stuff. I made one area where you bomb a wall and it causing the screen to warp you to another screen with the wall removed, so its like you took out the mountain.

The last thing I did was work on a quest that was more thought out. I took a lot of time making the screen's landscape really good looking with all the Zelda 3 tiles. I planned on paper the small overworld design, placing a forest, a dungeon, and a town where you would learn about the trouble in the land. I was planning to make it episodic, where you could continue your quest as new version came out with more areas.

I took all the programming classes in my High School. QBasic, Pascal, and C++.
I searched for QBasic, because I just wanted to start learning how to program so I could make games. I came accross Dark Basic, a game programming language, and was estatic. It wasn't good for 2-D games and I found Blitz Basic (http://www.blitzbasic.com) which was way better than DB and for 2-D games.

In Dark Basic I copied a Pong clone to learn the code, and worked on a Tetris clone and got as far as random blocks, making them stack, and rotating them before I quit.

I came across some Secret of Mana tiles that were used in another project, RPG Creator, and fooled around trying to get the Randi animation to work and some map tiles.
When I moved to Blitz Basic I eventually made a simple rpg scrolling engine using the Secret of Mana tiles. I found out how to make and load maps, create walls and doors to warp to other maps. The source code can be found here
http://www.geocities.com/gamemastermak/rpgproject.htm

After that I got some Zelda 2 tiles and messed around creating a simple map editor and Zelda 2 scrolling overworld engine.

The last thing I worked was a game idea I had that was simlar to the rpg engine I was working on. I drew some tiles out on paper, scanned them and colored some, but my tile skills aren't good. I didn't get past making a simple map editor.

The most difficult part is finishing a project. If it isn't planned out, I run into a wall and don't have anything else to work on. Also, motivation to keep going.

A action/adventure game with proper game design planning beforehand.

- Is anyone thinking about pursuing a career in the video game industry?

Yes. I can see myself doing nothing else but something related in the video game industry if I don't end up designing games. A review in a video game magazine and working at or running a video game store are other alternatives.

Cloral
04-25-2002, 08:22 PM
I've been working on a clone of Puzzle Bobble with my friends, and it actually works! I also wrote a clone of Chip's Challenge with loads of new features like jumping and 3d maps. Plus, my friend bought the licence to a 3d game engine which we are going to use for our next game (which will be an original one for a change).

MasterSwordUltima
04-25-2002, 08:23 PM
I can easily make the greatest game of all time, over and over again. Tic-Tac-Toe is very hard to play...with yourself, but it gets fun! I can make only one basic design with it though, #...

slothman
04-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Cloral
I've been working on a clone of Puzzle Bobble with my friends, and it actually works! I also wrote a clone of Chip's Challenge with loads of new features like jumping and 3d maps.

Do you still have the game or code for your chip's clone? And is your other game related to "bubble bobble"?

Grasshopper
04-25-2002, 10:23 PM
I'd love to make games from scratch, but right I don't know much of any language to do so. Although I have played around with level editors and stuff like that. Mostly map editors for FPS games.

Cloral
04-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Here's a screenshot of the Chips remake, in which you play as Melinda (and yes, I'm not the greatest artist in the world, I know that):
http://cloral.homestead.com/files/Chips1.JPG
This is the last fully working version of it, which is before I added in the 3rd dimention. I have another version I have been working on off and on. At the last juncture, I decided to add in customizable enemies, such that you could set up their behavior, attacks, and other such things. However, in doing that I found that I had to change the way items work, and then the way the player is handled, and... it just turned out to be a really major update. And I haven't worked on it for a while, really since I started on GPA (the Puzzle Bobble clone). The whole point of GPA was to give it network capabilities, so that you could battle your friends over the internet. We thought it would be a really fun idea, and probably will be once we finish. Then I may ask them for some help in finishing off the Chips sequel. In the version pictured above, I actually reproduced all 149 levels from the original - which wasn't all that hard really, I just found a site online that had every level mapped out.

edit:
3000 posts!

Mak-X
04-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by slothman
And is your other game related to "bubble bobble"?

If Cloral is talking about the same Puzzle Bobble I think he is...

Puzzle Bobble is a puzzle game made by the same company that did Bubble Bobble, and used the characters from the game in it (those lizard guys). The game is called "Bust-A-Move" in the U.S. I think you shoot colored bubbles to the top of the screen where you try to get them to contact with bubbles of the same color and they disappear.

mrz84
04-26-2002, 12:40 PM
um lets see.... several anime/other game based zquest(mega man, tenchi muyo oav1, etc....), uh a starcraft ripe-off(hasnt gotten past the planning stages due to lack of programming skill or programmer assistant at this time) that has more than 3 races, uh.... i think thats about it. oh! and an rpg or two for rpg maker(the psx version) :kawaii: