PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda VCD

The Silent Assassin
04-20-2002, 05:37 PM
Well, I got it.

Funny story...as I opened it, I noticed the cover artwork was not as crisp as the online image. Well, that aside, it still looked good. I open it up, and 5 CDs are in there...with tissues seperating them and protecting them. Well, I guess it couldn't hold all five.

I pop it into my DVD player. It won't run them. I expected this, and go to my PC. Windows Media Player didn't default run it...my WinDVD showed the menu...but wouldn't play.

So I am getting kind of annoyed and nervous here. I finally open it with real player. I open "track 1" and this shitty quality Ringer episode runs.

I am pissed. Just as I am about to flame this guy on eBay with a formal complaint, I have to take a shit. I take a shit, calm down, and decide maybe it was the player...maybe real couldn't handle the format.

So...I ask my friend how to run the thing properly. He said to open the .vcd files. DAMN, was I glad I asked him.

Though I have to manually open each movie, they are GOOD. One had audio trouble for 2 minutes of it (episode), and another had so-so video quality (too bright).

The others were just like watching the show on TV, and they are crisp in High Res/full screen mode.

Anyway...the video is BETTER than what is on the net for free (that website I provided with the Real Video files) and they are on nice VCDs with a case. So, I guess it was a decent buy.

Mak-X
04-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Did you buy them off of eBay or from a website that is making them?
Are the TV captures or ripped from home video releases?

Do you have any screen shots? I'd like to compare it to the CDs I have.

What episodes did it come with? Just the 13 Zelda cartoons?

How much did it cost?

How big is the file size for each episode?

The Silent Assassin
04-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Did you buy them off of eBay or from a website that is making them?
Are the TV captures or ripped from home video releases?

Do you have any screen shots? I'd like to compare it to the CDs I have.

What episodes did it come with? Just the 13 Zelda cartoons?

How much did it cost?

How big is the file size for each episode?

1. They are DivX files, ripped from actual Home Video Releases of
Captain N, and Zelda from the US and Europe.

2. They are equivalent to my SMBSS DVD. The only exception is the "white knight" episode.

3. All 13 Zelda Epsidoes and all the Captain N Videos Link was in.

4. 35 Dollars flat.

5. Not sure.

Mak-X
04-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Cool. Where can I buy it? The CDs I have were taped from TV broadcast, though they were still good compared to anything else there was. You can't top takening them from a official release though. I got mine at http://zeldatoons.captainn.net It was $15 for the computer only versions and I think $25 for the VCD version now. They're still good in comparision to what you normally find, unless there's someone out there who is selling them like Zeldatoons. Mine are just burned CD-RWs.

You got 4 episodes of Captain N right?

The Silent Assassin
04-20-2002, 09:32 PM
I got them off eBay.

MottZilla
04-21-2002, 12:29 AM
I love VCDs. I have lots of anime burnt on VCDs. I don't remember the Zelda cartoon, but I don't know if it's worth tracking down or anything either. The only thing I think I remember is Mario and Captain N.

The Silent Assassin
04-21-2002, 02:12 AM
I think you can get them cheaper than what I paid, but I am not sure of the quality of other auction sellers.

vegeta1215
04-21-2002, 03:12 AM
That guy sells them all the time on ebay and has his own site for them: http://www.microserve.net/~alb/

I emailed him to ask a bunch of questions. (cause I don't wanna waste my money if I don't have to)

I found out that it should work for my DVD player at home, and I'll be able to play them on Linux if I want. Also, the CDs are home burnt, not pressed and professionally made (despite the nice looking inserts from the web page), but, the guy hopes to have them pressed in the future.

When I first read your post above TSA, it really sounded like you got ripped off, but if you say they're nice quality, that's enough for me. I just hope if and when I get a set, that they DO work on my DVD player like they're supposed to. I'd like to see the menus and stuff the guy made.

K-Teclis
04-21-2002, 06:08 AM
Well.. I like Zelda Animes...
Is eBay cheap prices for them?

Mak-X
04-21-2002, 12:46 PM
http://zeldatoons.captainn.net

That's ^ where I got mine. The guy is selling them off of his website and not eBay. He can be trusted because I sent a envelope with $15 cash in it to the address he gave, and I got the CDs a month or two later. Getting the Zelda cartoons was worth it. I watched about 3 episodes each day in the summer.

About the VCD CD-Rom set:
The set is 6 VCD's which include:
- All 13 Legend of Zelda cartoons,
- All 4 Captain N's featuring Link and Zelda, and
- All the 'live' Mario and Luigi Shows that were on before and after the Zelda episodes

Price:
If you live in the US or Canada, the 6 VCD set is US$25.
Any other country, the 6 VCD set is US$30.

Shipping:
Shipping is included in the price of the set!

I'm sure their are other versions of much higher quality, but these were way better than anything on the internet that I could find for free. All of the movies I have on my CDs are about 100MB each. The CDs are just burned CD-Rs, and the quality of the episodes are good TV broadcast, and not ripped from the official home video releases. Its good enough to watch them full screen on your computer (which I did on my 17" monitor).

Prfect Greg has also purchased them.