PDA

View Full Version : where abouts can i find nvidia display drivers for windows XP?

goKi
04-19-2002, 05:46 AM
i downloaded the drivers from windows update, but they degraded the performance of programs running with direct3d.

im looking for drivers for a nvidia tnt2 model 64, can anyone help... the ones im using right now are almost 2 years old.

War Lord
04-19-2002, 07:59 AM
I have a Geforce 2 MX and run XP. I used the ones from Windows Update as those are certiifed to work with XP, and I don't trust third party drivers. I've had no problems with them in running games after I fixed the refresh rate problem. If you end up having that problem, you can use this to set all refresh rates to optimal settings.

http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/nvreffix/

XP by default, while older Windows Os's did, does not automatically take care of this, which can cause some slow down in games sometimes.

That program only works with computers that have a Nvidia card and are running XP.

If you're intent on using different drivers, Nvidia's site has the latest, usually non-certified drivers.

goKi
04-19-2002, 08:07 AM
thanks, i deleted the old ms.com ones, so ill have to download them again, but i dont think ill bother just yet, the ones i had previously are working fine... and the ones i downloaded cause a performance decrease of over 100%.. (eg. frame rates using direct3d in unreal tournament dropped from avg. 50fps to 19fps.)
and i dont think nvidia.com have the tnt2 drivers anymore, unless someone can locate them for me, i had a look, with no luck.

War Lord
04-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Sounds like a refresh problem actually, is it just slow, or does it slow down every couple seconds or so? The refresh rate thing might not be a bad thing to try.
Otherwise...
Just use the windows update.
Tools > Windows Update
It will do it all automatically.

goKi
04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
i rolled back to the drivers i installed previously, and it works fine, so i think i will leave it at that for the next few days.

vegeta1215
04-19-2002, 03:47 PM
I think the drivers on nVidia's site are awesome.

You say you weren't sure if they had TNT2 drivers? Well, ask yourself this: If they have TNT2 drivers for Linux (which I downloaded), don't you think they'd have'm for Windows?

Long ago I tried using MS's Windows Update drivers for my sound card, and they were totally messed up. From then on (till I got rid of Windows) I used the hardware manufacturer's drivers.

mikeron
04-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
I think the drivers on nVidia's site are awesome.

You say you weren't sure if they had TNT2 drivers? Well, ask yourself this: If they have TNT2 drivers for Linux (which I downloaded), don't you think they'd have'm for Windows?
Yeah, SuSe 8.0 comes out in three days, and I already managed to get the GeForce2 drivers a few days ago; the nVidia site is quite extensive.

vegeta1215
04-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by mikeron
Yeah, SuSe 8.0 comes out in three days, and I already managed to get the GeForce2 drivers a few days ago; the nVidia site is quite extensive.

Damn, SuSe 8.0 is coming out already? I thought they just put 7.3 out not too long ago?

I can't wait till the next Mandrake distro with KDE 3.0 in it. I heard KDE 3.0 is way faster and better than 2.2 :D

mikeron
04-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215

Damn, SuSe 8.0 is coming out already? I thought they just put 7.3 out not too long ago?

I can't wait till the next Mandrake distro with KDE 3.0 in it. I heard KDE 3.0 is way faster and better than 2.2 :D You said it. I was just going to d/l KDE 3 from CNET, but I figured I'd go all the way and get all the new apps from the Pro version of SuSe on a clean new install and all the tech support too. :blah: