PDA

View Full Version : Hyrule Historian

J.J. Maxx
04-19-2002, 02:05 AM
I was thinking this today... We have limited info on what Hyrule and it's culture were like but I wonder what it was like... the whole picture. Beyond old men in caves giving away swords and bombs. Ya know??

What about the people, the technology, religion and weather? We know they can make swords so they must have smelting and metallurgy and stuff. Blacksmiths and other workers. The have glass bottles so that must also have glass blowers. Which also means the have to get the glass from somewhere.

There's alot you can learn about this culture and people just by thinking about what they would need.

We know most of the culture is societal or else they wouldn't leave the entrances to their caves open. Also Z2 villages seemed pretty close-knit. We know they are generous people.

What else can we assume about the life, love and land of Hyrule? I'm sure TSA and others know more on the subject but ya gotta wonder some things..

Where did Link go to bathroom on his quests? He prolly just went in the woods. Perhaps behind that bush near level 7? Who knows.

Now I know alot of you are going to say it's only a game and the people aren't real and of course I know that but it's interesting to have a discussion on what the culture may have been like.

:thumbsup:

The Silent Assassin
04-19-2002, 02:12 AM
A Link to the Past Official Player's Guide has lots of tibits about Hylian Life Styles.

If you'd like, I can tell you everything you need to know that has been revealed, and them some personal theories.

J.J. Maxx
04-19-2002, 02:16 AM
Well what would be the societal equivalent to our history? More of a medieval time? Of kings and horses or perhaps prior to that? It seems that there *is* a feudal system as seen in LTTP. (Theres a castle and houses and farms in the surrounding area.)

So I would also assume there are taxes as well. We know there is a monetary system. Rupees. Whats up with these rupees? Are they mined, are they made, why are they so valuable. I seem to find them everywhere. (Under bushes, in caves, even old men are giving them to me.)

slothman
04-19-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by JJMaxx
(Under bushes, in caves, even old men are giving them to me.)
That's different from real life. Here people gove money TO old men.
I would say Zelda is similar to around 1000 AD, give or take 500 years.

The Silent Assassin
04-19-2002, 02:29 AM
They are two different things.

Rupee, and rubies. Rupee is the monetary system of Hyrule. Rubies are those red things that girls like to wear.

It is my belief that Kakariko Village was set up by people not of link to the Royal Family. In Hyrule, there are no taxes. King Harkinian would take the spoils of war to fund his kingdom, and generally everybody in Hyrule would work to better the society.

Bartering was also a standard of trade, as not everyone generally accepted rupees.

Outhouses were what were used for going to the bathroom. Also, note Link does not eat often when on his adventures. When he does, I am sure he goes to the bathroom at wherever he dines. On the road, I am sure if nature calls...pissing in the open wasn't a big deal since there weren't many people around in the places where Link ventured to.

richeva
04-19-2002, 02:52 AM
I think its cool that it is possible to give more depth to a great game.

Menokh
04-19-2002, 02:59 AM
Here's what I have found out about Hyrulian religion.
They believe that sometime in the distant past 3 goddesses decended form the sky and created their planet, and then left the Triforce in the Golden Realm as a guardian. And in Zelda 3 the Sages(Wise men in that game) are reveared in an almost religous way. And it would seem(judging by the official Japanese art), that some major religious figure was crusified at some time before Zelda 3.

Hyrule seems to vary in technological level. It seems to vary between the equivalent of c.800AD and c.1500AD.

Mak-X
04-19-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
It is my belief that Kakariko Village was set up by people not of link to the Royal Family.

It is true, remember the explaination in Ocarina of Time?
Kakariko Village used to be where Impa's race, the Sheikah...oh crud is it Sheikah or Sheikan....Sheikah used to live. Kakariko Village became a village for the people of Hyrule and after Ganondorf destroyed Hyrule Castle and the town, everyone moved to Kakariko Village.

Supposedly and according to a comic, before Ocarina of Time Hyrule was a land of war. Link's father gets killed by a rebellion and Link's mother flees with Link. I would guess that everyone had a truce in Ocarina of Time, a reason why Ganondorf payed respect to the King of Hyrule.

The Silent Assassin
04-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I knew from OoT it was built by Impa. There was a great war in Hyrule over the Sacred Pendants before OoT, and Link's father was a "Knight of Hyrule". He was gravely injurred by the invading forces, and as Mak said, Link's mother fled with Link, and she too, was gravely injurred in the escape.

Now, Link is supposedly from the Kingdom of Calatia, and is the son of Arn and Medina. However, Calatia does not appear in any of the official games, nor have Link's parents been given names. However, it is true Link has an Uncle, as seen in A Link to the Past. This sort of makes sense that ALttP comes after Majora's Mask in the US. Link is raied as a Kokiri. Saves Hyrule and learns he is not a Kokiri. Goes off to find Navi in a personal quest. Saves Termina, returns and lives with his Uncle since he is no longer a true Kokiri.