PDA

View Full Version : Attention Everyone: Starmen.net is in serious trouble! please take heed to this!!

zables
04-17-2002, 12:50 AM
Guys, there are some serious and i mean SERIOUS problems at Starmen.net (http://www.starmen.net) and they need some major support, so if everyone could go there and see if there is anything humanly possible that you can do to help them out i would greatly appreciate it,

Thank you for your understanding....

Hermit
04-17-2002, 01:10 AM
If you want to advertise something, you should do it in your sig. All you'll get outta making threads with them is having them closed since posting them is a violation of forum rules :shrug:
Just stick one of the banner images (linked of course) with a little comment over it, that way you'll basically be advertising it with every post you make :)

zables
04-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Ok
Thanx, Sorrry 'bout that

Cronic
04-17-2002, 02:33 AM
Ok... We can't advertsie MESSAGE BOARDS everything else is taken on a case by case basis. This petition is approved.

Hermit
04-17-2002, 04:59 AM
Oh, I was under the impression all advertising was pretty much banned, my bad. Sorry zables, sorry DC ;)

zables
04-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Oh, I was under the impression all advertising was pretty much banned, my bad. Sorry zables, sorry DC

thats right you better be....
yah i got nuffin lol :D
tis ok, it wasnt an attempt to advertise for Starmen, but its just im a patron and they need help.
thanx for understandin'

mike5000
04-17-2002, 01:05 PM
MY damn school blocks it and ill have to wait untill I get home, what kind of situation are they in?

itschris
04-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Please read this entire update before doing anything else. It is very important.
Starmen.Net is in big trouble. For the past 2 years or more, we have been very fortunate. After many bad web hosts, we finally found a good one, one where we could have a bunch of space, a ton of bandwidth, and other cool stuff. This let our site grow and prosper at an extremely swift rate. Most people won't believe it, but we get thousands of unique visitors each day. In terms of "hits" that most people like to measure stuff in, I'd say we're definitely in the 50,000+ per day. Impossible you say? I kid you not. The site you are at right now is the center of one of the finest game communities on the Internet. I'll leave the explanation why for another day, but I should just say that this level of awesuma comes at a great price.

We knew it was going to happen someday, we just managed to keep putting off the inevitable. Yet the inevitable has come at last. Starmen.Net is just too big and too popular. The amount of file space, bandwidth, and CPU/memory resources we're using is mind-boggling. We're currently using about 50-60 GB of bandwidth each month, and that number continues to increase rapidly. File space has always been a big problem, we've constantly been just at the very edge of going over, and in a few instances we actually did go over. We've tried lots of things to keep file space usage down, like compressing all the fan art better, pruning the forums a lot (we earned back 20MB+ each prune, usually), and other things. Consider the fact that Starmen.Net is spread out on two different servers. We can't keep this up.

But it's not enough anymore. Our web host has given us notice that unless we come up with some sort of deal, Starmen.Net will be shut down within the week. To top it off, reidman's computer has just died. Fine timing, don't you think? What we've been paying $30 all this time will now cost us over $200 per month. There is no way we can afford that kind of money. And we're not naive enough to think we can get community members to consistantly donate money to keep us running.

So what is going to happen? We are currently looking at our options. There are too many things to consider, and I need to take time out to consider them all with a calm head, but I can see a couple main possibilities.

- One, we find a new web host that we can afford and move there. This will probably be hard. There are many hosts out there that tout awesome deals and stuff, but there aren't all that many that are completely trustworthy.

- Two, we bite the bullet and stay at our current host, but axe tons of our content until we can afford to stay here. Kind of a Starmen.Net Lite version.

- Three, we let Starmen.Net die and let people rebuild the community. I'm pretty sure you all know this will suck and unless you want freaky, stalker-type webmasters running the major EB sites, you probably don't want Starmen.Net to die.

So at the moment, we don't know what we're going to do. There's just too much to handle at the moment. Too many feelings of "This can't be happening" and "What are we going to do?" Plus some possibly bad stuff has just happened to me so I don't know if I can think calmly enough to make good decisions right now. I'm going to maybe wait a day and see what happens, maybe I can think of something. I of course would appreciate *helpful* feedback. I don't need any "You can't be serious" feedback.

What's going to happen to the petition you ask? It's hard to say. What I can foresee is that if we do somehow survive this thing, we'll pick up where we left off. If we can't make it, then we'll send the petition as we have it now. It would be a nice, appropriate final farewell.

Please listen. This is important. Do not start going crazy on the forums. The reason is that if the forums go crazy, we're even more likely to be shut down even sooner. I may have to shut the forums down if things get too insane. If you have ideas that you think can be useful, e-mail them to me, or post them on the forum. DO NOT post on the forum and start freaking out like the world is about to end. I beg of you, please don't make me shut the forums down :(

Both I and the many staffer members here at Starmen.Net thank everybody in the community and all of the regular visitors who stay silently in the background for all of their support over the last 3 and a half years. I truly hope we can get through this ordeal like we have all the 5000 others we've had. I ask for your cooperation.

- Tomato
April 16, 2002 10:50pm EST

Mak-X
04-17-2002, 02:38 PM
That's ashame their in financial trouble right now, when they're just passing the halfway point in their petition goal. There's nothing I can do because I can't afford to donate to every website I visit, and Starmen.net is not one I regularly visit. It's probably the biggest Mother website on the internet right now for the community.

zables
04-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Well not only that, but the fact that their really the best mother site on the web. Earthbound.net kinda sucks and i mean i honestly have yet to see another fan site that is so dedicated to covering every aspect of the game, I really hope that they can pull through this somehow, im pretty sure that someone will be able to help them, i only wish i could though...

damn under 18 cant get a friking credit card garbage... :angry:

Mak-X
04-17-2002, 02:59 PM
Earthbound.net seems to have been dead for some time since Daarkseid last told me about it and it wasn't there. Now Starmen.net is probably the only big Mother site. Hopefully the can at least keep their front page up and the petition so they can at least complete the petition they started that has been a success so far. If they succeed and send Ninteno a petition of 30,000 signatures Nintendo will definitely have to consider Mother 3. Miyamoto and his associates mentioned Mother 3 in one of their interviews and Mother is really popular in Japan so we'll probably see another game eventually. (Not to mention all of the Mother stuff in Super Smash Bros. Melee)

zables
04-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Its such a shame though hey? i mean its hard to beleive that there is the possibilty of starmen.net just going... going... gone! its been a staple of life lol

Daarkseid
04-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Earthbound.net seems to have been dead for some time since Daarkseid last told me about it and it wasn't there. Now Starmen.net is probably the only big Mother site.

It is a shame that earthbound.net is down/gone, because there was some pretty interesting info posted in their forums by somebody who was Japanese(and was competent in English).

mrz84
04-17-2002, 08:25 PM
i wish i could help. :cry: they are a great site, and i cant do anything to help! :cry: :cry: :kawaii: :cry: :cry:

zables
04-19-2002, 01:38 AM
WAAAHHHHOOOOO!!!! JJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

ok, enough of the stupidity, Starmen.net (http://www.starmen.net) has a solution for their problems!

Thank goodness, they aint going down,

Chew that Sucka's

(no, i dont know who im talking to, so just eat your cheese and i'll eat mine...)

im extatic, and well im also done now too...

vegeta1215
04-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Awesome :thumbsup:

I read what they're gonna use, looks pretty good, and they're using Linux and Apache! Smart people ;) The only thing I would suggest is for them to get more RAM. 128megs isn't that much. But I suppose if it gets the job done, then that's what really matters.

On that note, topic closed (since Starmen.net is out of the whole and will be back up soon)