PDA

View Full Version : Conquest for Power news!

Raichu86
04-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Conquest for Power is coming along nicely! I have two levels done (same as before), and now a little over half of the main overworld is done. There will be a 64 screen underworld, as well as the 128 screen overworld. Plus there will be a large complicated cave under the overworld which will be essential in getting from one level to another in some cases. It will also contain portals to the underworld.

Level 3 has a few screens done, but I need to do a little more planning before I start working on it again. Why? Because, Levels will begin having two floors connected by pits and staircases. Level 3 will be pretty simple, but as the levels advance, there will be many more basement floors and things will get extremely complicated. :D

Now I bet you're dying for some screenshots. But before you get to see them, I want to note that it's NOT Mystic Land tiles. Prince let me use Mystic Land palletes, and a few of the tiles, like the roofs. Other than that, it's Revenge 2 with many modifications.

Here we go with the shots:

http://r86zc.netfirms.com/CFP/Conquest1.gif

Here we have the first shot. It's mainly to show off the addition of people in the village. The kid and his dad REALLY DO play catch! I imagine a lot of you have seen a previous version of this pic in my sig. plith and I put them together. The kid and his dad playing catch take 400 tiles of animation alltogether, so don't bother trying to steal them and put them together if I ever get a demo out. We will release them to public after we finish our quests. Until then, nyah nyah. :tongue:

http://r86zc.netfirms.com/CFP/Conquest2.gif

This is the first entrance to the Never Ending Cave. There will be many other entrances too. As you can see, there's tons of passages.... it never ends, does it? :naughty: You can buy a map for it at a shop somewhere on the overworld.

http://r86zc.netfirms.com/CFP/Conquest3.gif

Here's a shop next to the river on the overworld. Just a screenshot, not much to see, besides how elegantly designed the screen is. :evil:

http://r86zc.netfirms.com/CFP/Conquest4.gif

This is just a major junction in the overworld. Lots of Octoroks around.

Conquest for Power is currently for Beta 148 (quest contest). I am almost to the point where I can release a demo, but I'm a little relunctant to, since I have not seen the Beta 148 player being released. :(

Anyway, I could use some feedback. What do you think I should call the world? How about the village? Does anybody have some suggestions? I totally suck at coming up with names, especially if it contains something invented (like "Tugoshlavacatianalbara Town," as apposed to "Never Ending Cave," which contains no invented words).

Edit: Beta testers list:

PrinceMSC

plith

K-Teclis
DarkFlameWolf

KJAZZ?

Meknoh?

? = questionable, haven't heard anything from them

I don't really need anymore beta testers. :)

Emaleth of Donn
04-16-2002, 07:32 PM
You made a demo of this before didn't you? I seem to think I might have played it before. if it's the one I am thinking of, can't wait to see it done!

I'm waiting also for the release of 148, since I have only 139...but as I enjoyed your OoP... this one will be well worth the wait :-)

C-Dawg
04-16-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86

Level 3 has a few screens done, but I need to do a little more planning before I start working on it again. Why? Because, Levels will begin having two floors connected by pits and staircases. Level 3 will be pretty simple, but as the levels advance, there will be many more basement floors and things will get extremely complicated. :D

Good, good. I am pleased to see people are taking the next step and designing multifloor dungeons now. Take Raichu's lead and step out of the dark ages of dungeon design, peeps :)

Now I bet you're dying for some screenshots.

Not exactly. But they're nice.

Here we go with the shots:

The kid and his dad REALLY DO play catch! I imagine a lot of you have seen a previous version of this pic in my sig. plith and I put them together.

Wow, you're REALLY damn excited about that, arn't you? Please dont wet yourself over your little animation. I applaud your addition of something interesting in the background, and I hope you repeat this type of thing all over the quest. Makes things interesting! :)

The kid and his dad playing catch take 400 tiles of animation alltogether, so don't bother trying to steal them and put them together if I ever get a demo out. We will release them to public after we finish our quests. Until then, nyah nyah. :tongue:

Uh-huh. No offense Raichu, but anyone who would be able to use the combos if they got ahold of the tiles is most likely more than skilled enough to make the animation themselves ;) Kudos on making the animation so smooth but... damn, I would have made it a little choppier so I could save tilespace. I guess it depends how well organized you are, though.

You can buy a map for it at a shop somewhere on the overworld.

Aha! Using a shop on the same Dmap but seemingly in an unrelated place as a place to purchase a map of the cave?! EXCELLENT! A NEW IDEA! INNOVATION! APPLAUSE! HUMPING!

not much to see, besides how elegantly designed the screen is. :evil:

>Gag<

I am almost to the point where I can release a demo, but I'm a little relunctant to, since I have not seen the Beta 148 player being released. :(

Just distribute the player yourself. Cyclone gave us the go-ahead to do that, as I recall.

What do you think I should call the world? How about the village? Does anybody have some suggestions? I totally suck at coming up with names, especially if it contains something invented (like "Tugoshlavacatianalbara Town," as apposed to "Never Ending Cave," which contains no invented words).

You should name it something that relates to your storyline, of course.... you DO have a storyline, right? Such as the simultaniously lame and compelling storyline of TSA, or the cursory but functional story of Plith?

-C

MountainDrew023
04-16-2002, 08:53 PM
C-Dawg, I hate to say it, but you have WAY too much time on your hands:laughing:

C-Dawg
04-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Im digesting before I go to the gym. And if I edit one more tile, I'm going to scream... well, at least I got paid at work today to play with Zquest. That's always nice.

plith
04-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Aha! Using a shop on the same Dmap but seemingly in an unrelated place as a place to purchase a map of the cave?! EXCELLENT! A NEW IDEA! INNOVATION! APPLAUSE! HUMPING!

Bah. You don't pay so much attention to the town in my demo? House with the cuckoo near it with hedges around it, one screen down from the small pond area. In that house there's a guy with the Swamp Dungeon map, on sale for 50 rupees. I was already planning to do that for every single dungeon in my quest. I bet Raichu even stole the idea from me! :laughing:

(That laughing means I'm not being too much of a pissant over it.)

MountainDrew023
04-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Nah, your really pissed. you just want to hide it

Raichu86
04-16-2002, 09:03 PM
I will by no means be using all my tilespace. Don't worry C-Dawg, I can make my animations detailed as I want. ;)

And yes, there is a story.

A few years had passed since Link last defeated Ganon. Hyrule had known a peace unlike it had ever known before. Link, knowing that the Ganon might strike at any time, set out on a journey of knowledge, so that he could be ready if Ganon tried yet again to disrupt peace in Hyrule.

After months of travel, Link stumbled upon a village in a far away land. He met with the villagers, and learned that the land had come to a horrible fate... Ganon had taken over, and was spreading evil across the land with "eight red triangles." It was obvious to Link what Ganon had done, he had split the Triforce of Power in order to conquer the land. Link agreed to collect the eight fragments of the Triforce of Power, and use their power to defeat Ganon yet again.

The storyline will advance during the game, but this is how it begins. :D

And plith, you're a genius for coming up with that map trick (if you're the one that came up with it). :lmao:

:eyebrow:

*runs*

supertails2001
04-16-2002, 09:04 PM
:eek: Now I know i won't even PLACE! MY quest STINKS compared to that.

plith
04-16-2002, 09:21 PM
A few years had passed since Link last defeated Ganon. Hyrule had known a peace unlike it had ever known before. Link, knowing that the Ganon might strike at any time, set out on a journey of knowledge, so that he could be ready if Ganon tried yet again to disrupt peace in Hyrule.

After months of travel, Link stumbled upon a village in a far away land. He met with the villagers, and learned that the land had come to a horrible fate... Ganon had taken over, and was spreading evil across the land with "eight red triangles." It was obvious to Link what Ganon had done, he had split the Triforce of Power in order to conquer the land. Link agreed to collect the eight fragments of the Triforce of Power, and use their power to defeat Ganon yet again.

Ya know... C-Dawg will probably have a few choice words for you seeing as how that story there happens to scream "QST-TXT" to him most of the time. :lmao:

C-Dawg
04-16-2002, 10:05 PM
I have a few things to say about that, yes. For starters, I'd say that story is about as interesting as the back of a box of cereal.. but then I remind myself that you don't need to be a novelist to make a Zquest game. Honestly, I think a game should start out with no text file to prompt the player.. they should be thrust into the situation just as Link is. But as long as he advances the plot during the game... meaning... ALL OF THE DETAILS ARE NOT REVEALED UNTIL LATER, and gradually at that.... well, if he's working with you, Plith, I have faith that he'll be able to do something worthwhile with it nonetheless.

Heh, sorry about not crediting you with the map dealie. I didnt play much farther than finding the swamp cave (which is clearly in an aboreal forest... go figure) because I didnt like the gameboy tiles in there :)

-C

DarkFlameWolf
04-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Now I know i won't even PLACE! MY quest STINKS compared to that.
mine too tails, mine too. :(

And C-dawg, this is Zquest, this is ZC, this is a action adventure game! NOT A RPG!!!! GET IT F**KING STRAIGHT!

C-Dawg
04-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf

mine too tails, mine too. :( In reference to her own quest being of lower quality than Raichu's.

And C-dawg, this is Zquest, this is ZC, this is a action adventure game! NOT A RPG!!!! GET IT F**KING STRAIGHT!

Methinks these two statements are very intimately related.

You should re-examine how you view ZC, grasshopper. Understand the power of the tool in your hands. (I know it's an unusual happenstance for you :) )

-C

supertails2001
04-16-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah yeah, great power. Also, me=amateur. HELLO! Goodbye!

PrinceMSC
04-16-2002, 11:30 PM
The quest looks enjoyable Raichu.;)

I edited most of the post. I didn't feel like what I said should have been said.

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

K-Teclis
04-17-2002, 07:58 AM
Well many good quest designers use multi floor dungeons and crystal triggers or that stuff (I do it too).
But I'd like to see a demo..

Or could I be a beta tester? I have beta 149!:)

Raichu86
04-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf

Zelda is an RPG, sort of. You do have to go around collecting info. But it isn't possible to make it anywhere as deep as a modern day RPG, or modern day Zelda game, so I have no intention of doing so. A few things happen during the game, but not very much.

K-Teclis: Sure, I'll let you be a tester. :)

DarkFlameWolf
04-17-2002, 11:04 AM
I guess I'll be a tester too. hell, I'm tester to Plith and 'hopefully' Prince already. :)

Raichu86
04-18-2002, 10:47 AM
OK, you are in DFW. You did a great job testing FHP. :)

Does anybody have any ideas for names now that I posted the story? :laughing: