PDA

View Full Version : Which Is Better Terranigma Or Illusion Of Gaia

zables
04-16-2002, 04:09 PM
What do you think was better? and what did u like better about either one???

Mak-X
04-16-2002, 04:17 PM
I haven't played Terranigma just because I haven't gotten into ROMs yet.

Illusion of Gaia was a good game. It was similar to Zelda with its action-rpg style gameplay. The story and setting really made the game though with it almost sad tones, such as the guy you have to beat in a drinking contest, Will's friend Seth that gets swallowed by that fish, and Will's Aunt and Uncle (or Grandparents?) that really were dead for a long time. Stuff like the skeletons of adventurers that didn't make it too. The game's setting was also based on the real world with locations such as the Great Wall of China, but the world is different (which is explained in the ending).

Some things I didn't like about it were the text boxes. In some cases, like early on, because pressing on the controller pad would make the text box continue I would miss a lot of text because they would appear when I walked into a house.

The ending was kind of sad with all the spirits and how the world and Will and his friend's lives change. The credits were good in that they showed every place in the game you visited. The final ending part, like Earthbound, made me hope there was more to play. Does Will and all his friends remember what happend? And why is Will waiting for his friends? Was he older than them so in a different grade? It was good to see that everyone was alive and well though.

The last boss, Dark Gaia, wasn't as hard as it could have been I think. I never got all the gems because I would keep playing and miss them, not looking in the instruction manual the whole time.

I have played Soul Blazer and got all the way up to where you have to take a airship to the final part of the game, but had to return it to Blockbuster before I could beat it.

Warlock
04-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Illusion of Gaia was cool in the sense that it was so messed up! I mean, hell.. you freaking have to play Russian Roullete with this guy! Your pig jumps into a campfire! I mean, it was screwed up! haha..

The funny thing was that Toasyfrog listed it as one of their disappointing games.. hehe.. it was funny:
http://www.toastyfrog.com/2d/features/disappointing_03.shtml

This is the best part:
"The first hint that something was awry should have come with the fact that the hero's weapon was a flute, but the sad lameness carried all the way through to the very end where your character tragically (?) brings about the dawn of modern civilization. On the other hand, it may be the only game ever to reward you for selling refugees into slavery, which does make it unique (if unsavory)."

haha.. like I said, the game was messed up :D

Masamune
04-16-2002, 04:34 PM
in IOG i got to fight monsters with a flute!

Ultra22Lemming
04-16-2002, 05:19 PM
IOG is the best game. What's a Terranigma?

mrz84
04-16-2002, 05:48 PM
i havent played either yet but im going to in the near future. once i finish bof, bof2, lttp, r+f, and several other roms for the snes. until then its gonna be sittin in my hard-drive collecting dust. :kawaii:

Warlock
04-16-2002, 06:05 PM
bof2 sucked.. my characters always tended to do like 1 hp of damage to enemies except for a couple. You had to really level them all up a lot for them to do any damage.. it sucked.. Esp. when they made my Monkey guy fight that other guy 1 on 1 and his damage was horrible! There was no way to get out of doing it either, or to go level him up. You were stuck there (which I stupidly saved at).

zables
04-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Ultra22Lemming: IOG is the best game. What's a Terranigma?

Terranigma is the sequal to illusion Of Gaia (not in story or in anything, but it was created afterwards) if you want to know more email me...

mrz84
04-16-2002, 08:15 PM
bof2 sucked.. my characters always tended to do like 1 hp of damage to enemies except for a couple. You had to really level them all up a lot for them to do any damage.. it sucked.. Esp. when they made my Monkey guy fight that other guy 1 on 1 and his damage was horrible! There was no way to get out of doing it either, or to go level him up. You were stuck there (which I stupidly saved at). actually if you play your cards right and use your money on the right equipment, you can kick that guys monkey ass like slapping richard simmons across a pool table. :kawaii:

SomUnknown
04-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Terranigma is one of the best games ever.

sorta of the subject but the name Terranigma means mystery of the earth.

Terra-land or earth
enigma-mystery (well the e was dropped it fits better):)

why wasn't Soulblazer on the list? was it beacuse nobody would vote for it;)

Glenn the Great
04-17-2002, 12:12 AM
I've never played IoG, and I probably should. I've beaten Terranigma though, and it is certainly worth playing.

To sum up the idea of the game, you are a teenage boy named Ark who lives in a small village below the surface of the earth. Apparantly life on the surface was destroyed, and Ark's first mission is to resurface the continents on the surface via 5 switches in 5 towers in the underworld.

Next, Ark forever leaves his underground world to go to the surface, which is completely desolate and lifeless. Ark completes several tasks and fights many monsters to cause the world to gradually evolve from a world of plants and animals, to a world of primitive humanity, to the world of high technology where some intriguing plot changes occur. The neat thing about this game is that several of the towns have many levels of evolution, and the towns will upgrade when you do certain things or complete certain side-quests.

The gameplay is typical action RPG stuff. It's kind of a mix between Zelda 3 and Secret of Mana. You use a variety of spears as your primary weapon, damage is dealt in real time, and there are many items to collect and make use of. The only downside to this game is that it is a bit too easy, especially near the end. Otherwise it really is worth playing.