PDA

View Full Version : What came first, The orange....

richeva
04-16-2002, 09:39 AM
OK then, heres a question I know that it should really be in think Tank, but I find that most of the insane philosophical minds can be found here.

- What came first - The Orange, or the colour?

Did they find the fruit, call it a orange, then call the colour orange?
Or did they find an orange coloured fruit and call it a orange?

Thats a nice paradox to diliberate.
:confused: :confuse2:

obi
04-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Simple,

It musthavebeenthefruitbecausethefruitmusthavebeenthe retobeorangeinorderforyoutocallitorangeifitwerenot therethenyouwouldjusthavethiswiredlumpwhichpeoplew ouldcallnothing,orcourseyoucannotcallsomethingoran geifyoudonotknowwhatorangelooksliketobeginwith so it must have been the orange :)

EDIT - OOps, forgot spaces...

richeva
04-16-2002, 09:46 AM
But surely people must have seen the orange colour before, i mean, theres only one orange fruit, but many things are coloured orange.
And obi, you're typing sucks.:lol:

Dirk the Daring
04-16-2002, 09:48 AM
What if the person who found the orange first was color blind?

plith
04-16-2002, 09:49 AM
And just why would they name a color after a fruit?

obi
04-16-2002, 09:54 AM
And just why would they name a color after a fruit?

They were either boered or couldn't find anything else that colour.

BTW - should I edit some spaces into my old post?

Dirk the Daring
04-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by obi
BTW - should I edit some spaces into my old post?

Na, be different. I would like to know which came first, the art of welding, or the welding hood. Did the guy who came up with welding go blind during his first attempt and then someone else stepped in and said, "you know, you might want to look at the weld through this polarized piece of glass to protect your eyes."

plith
04-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dirk the Daring
Did the guy who came up with welding go blind during his first attempt and then someone else stepped in and said, "you know, you might want to look at the weld through this polarized piece of glass to protect your eyes."

Doesn't that sort of answer your question? I don't think the first guy went blind though. Maybe he just tried looking away and decided to himself, "There's got to be an easier way to do this and make sure I don't burn my hand off."

JayeM
04-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Let's see: peach, plum, lime, olive, avocado, orchid, rose, violet, lavender, lilac, cream, rust, amber, maize... In all these cases the object came first. The human mind tend to move from concrete to abstract, not the other way around. I'd say the same applies to orange. :reading:

Ibis, God of Magicks
04-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Okay, my question is, what other things in nature are naturaly orange? Where would someone see the color before the fruit?

plith
04-16-2002, 10:38 AM
And if the color and fruit were both discovered separately and given names that were completely different, only later translated to be orange, then would it even matter?

Ultra22Lemming
04-16-2002, 11:37 AM
What if they first found the fruit and they called it something other than orange. Then once they decided to give colors names they decided to name the fruit orange.

J.J. Maxx
04-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Well just to clear up any confusion I'm gonna stick some etymology on ya..

Ya see, the color is named after the fruit and the English derives from Old French, but originally it comes from the Arabic naranj. Cognates are found in the Tamil, Hindi, and Persian I think.

Since the fruit was (probably) native to India, the origin is in the languages there, but the exact origin has long been lost to the ages. (Sadly :()

The House of Orange (referring to the Dutch royal family or William and Mary of England) and the use of the term in reference to Irish politics is of a different origin. It derives from the town of Orange on the Rhone river in France and is etymologically unrelated to the color or the fruit.

Too bad it wasn't the Rhine river then we'd be one step closer to the watermelon's origin. :thumbsup:

Jemsee
04-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Ultra22Lemming
What if they first found the fruit and they called it something other than orange. Then once they decided to give colors names they decided to name the fruit orange.

It probably was called somthing else and then one day some lazy good for nothing said "Hey boy, get me one of those orange things over there". And thereafter it's been known as an orange.
Unless of course he was brought a punkin (pumpkin).

Over time words can pick up different meanings.
For instance what comes to your mind when you hear "FAGGOT"?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
;)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
;)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
;)
>
>
>
>
1.Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
2.A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
3.A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars
4.To bind into a fagot; bundle.
5.To decorate with fagoting.
I also belive it can refer to a cigaret in some countries.
So an Orange could have been called many things over time.
George Carlin did a whole skit on two way words.
See his web sight here (http://www.georgecarlin.com/) WARNING Profanity!
Still I find it funny, I like GC.
Can you come up with more two way words?????:confuse2: ?????

:lmao: If you viset the GC sight click on the eyes in the lower right hand corner. Funny, vary funny.:lmao: