PDA

View Full Version : How do you use custom doors?

Lord AxaliaN
04-14-2002, 04:54 PM
Id like to add a custom dungeon entrance/exit, but zquest adds the default passageway to the screen. How do I disable that?

itschris
04-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Just draw it with tiles. I know it says in the tutorial to not draw your own doors, but in the case of regular doors, it doesn't matter. Just make sure the tiles have the same walkability as the other passageway doors.

Lord AxaliaN
04-14-2002, 05:02 PM
thanks! That sure was a fast reply!

itschris
04-14-2002, 05:06 PM
No problem. I was just here at the right time. ;)

Jigglysaint
04-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Custom doors, or freeform dungeons as some of us call them, are not yet available in zquest. You can only place a locked, bombable, or shutter door in the four directions, one in the middle of each wall. There is a problem with drawing your own regular doors in dungeons. You can only enter a door on the top of the screen if you have selected a passageway door first, otherwise you can't go through it, no matter what the walkablity of the combo is.

itschris
04-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
Custom doors, or freeform dungeons as some of us call them, are not yet available in zquest. You can only place a locked, bombable, or shutter door in the four directions, one in the middle of each wall. There is a problem with drawing your own regular doors in dungeons. You can only enter a door on the top of the screen if you have selected a passageway door first, otherwise you can't go through it, no matter what the walkablity of the combo is.

Oops, I forgot the part about the tops of screens. Thanks!

Cloral
04-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Actually Jigglysaint, you can go through the top wall without a passageway door - you just have to have your custom door centered perfectly. And if you select passageway, ZC will replace whatever you draw with the basic door - so if you want a special looking door there you have to set the door type to wall.

PrismDreamer
04-15-2002, 12:56 AM
This is one of the first uses of layers I tried, for custom entrances. You can put your custom door on a higher layer, so that it appears over the normal door.

Lord AxaliaN
04-15-2002, 05:07 AM
Yes, ok. But the problem is, I don't know a thing about the layer system. Why isnt there a tutorial? Or can someone explain it to me?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PrismDreamer
04-15-2002, 07:09 PM
There are 7 possible layers, each of which on its own screen. This means for each layer of each screen you wish to use, you need an extra screen (except for layer 0, which is the original screen). Thus, for a single screen to use all possible layers, you need 6 extra screens.

To set up layers for a particular screen, figure out which screens you will use for the layers, and then (on the screen which will use the layers) go to Data->Layers, and enter the map number and absolute screen coordinates for each layer's screen.

The higher the layer number, the higher it will appear - meaning layer 1 appears over layer 0, layer 2 appears over layer 1, etc.

Layer 0 is the lowest layer and is the orignal screen
Layers 1 and 2 appear under Link
Layers 3 and 4 appears over Link, but under enemies
Layers 5 and 6 appear over enemies

I hope that helps, and I hope someone more knowledgable will correct me if I've made a mistake.

supertails2001
04-15-2002, 08:41 PM
I think flying enemies are the only ones above 3 and 4.

Cloral
04-16-2002, 01:24 AM
That's right. 3 and 4 appear above Link and all ground-based enemies - 5 and 6 appear above everything.

Lord AxaliaN
04-16-2002, 03:17 AM
:spin: Thanks a bunch! :spin: I'm using it in my quest now, and you'll be able to download a new demo soon. Download the current one of Creation of Damnation at my site (url in sig)