PDA

View Full Version : Realism taking fun out of games?

AlexMax
04-14-2002, 11:04 AM
I found this rather interesting article...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nyt/20020407/tc_nyt/realism_may_be_taking_the_fun_out_of_games

Thoughts?

King Link
04-14-2002, 11:40 AM
I think that that may actually be possible.

I read the article and I think that nowadays, developers may sometimes be working harder on creating unbelieveably great graphics rather than a game that is fun to play.

That is my opinion, I think some people and developers are trying to heard graphically and not attempting to make fun games like they used to, say even only three or four years ago with Ocarina of Time, and even all the way back to the days of A Link to the Past.

Realistic graphics is taking out the fun in games. If developers worked a litter more on the game itself, not the graphics, people would probably have more fun playing games.

This is my opinion though. Interesting article, too.

Radium
04-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Realism is putting fun into games.

MegaMan3000
04-14-2002, 01:46 PM
I think it is taking fun out of games

King Link
04-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Radium
Realism is putting fun into games.

I also agree with that too. People debate about graphics on Zelda GameCube also, though, because they think the game will suck if the graphics are no good. People put too much thought into graphics. They think, just because the graphics are not too appealing the game will suck.

But in games like Rogue Leader or Final Fantasy, very impressive graphics just makes the game all the more fun. Realistic and movie-like. Perhaps that is yet another important factor.

MegaMan3000
04-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Graphics dont make a diif to me its the game

King Link
04-14-2002, 02:33 PM
That's my point. We enjoyed the old NES and Atari etc. didn't we? The graphics didn't matter (then again, we didn't know much about great graphics) but we still played the games. Heck, we even play those games now. Take a look at Zelda Classic etc.

I don't think graphics should make a difference. They are just a little something that can make a game a little bit more enjoyable as long as there is a game to play. If not, the best part of the game will be the graphics.

As long, for example, as Zelda GameCube is fun and has great levels, characters and interaction, that is all I really want.

bigjoe
04-14-2002, 02:34 PM
I beleive fake old games are the best =)

mrz84
04-14-2002, 05:16 PM
graphics can either help or hinder a game depending on its story, controls,etc. is the game is something like a simulator, then i say let them throw whatever they want into it as far as graphics are conserned. but when i play games like rpgs, i expect there to be more storyline than graphics. :kawaii:

slothman
04-14-2002, 05:38 PM
I actually like older graphics. The first person games are too complex. NES and Atari games are so much easier to play without flashy graphics distracting you.

mrz84
04-14-2002, 06:16 PM
ah those were the days......*wanders off to play old games* :kawaii:

Hermit
04-15-2002, 01:09 AM
I think most companies have yet to find the perfect balance between looks and gameplay. Most games either look fantabulous and play like shit, or look halfway decent and are fun as hell.

Take the Twisted Metal PS1 franchise for example, which switched development companies between the first 2 and last 2 games. I'm sure it's pretty safe to say that TM 1+2 are graphically inferior in most respects to 3+4. But then again 1+2 are also a hell of alot more fun to play than 3+4, because it was all about gampley with 1+2, rather than graphics tweaking and presentation with 3+4, which took the fun out of it.

They did a good job with 4 though in bringing back some of the gameplay and such of 1+2.

There aren't that many "next-gen" games to really compare to at the moment since all of the systems are basically "babies" in their lifespans. But we'll see what happens in the future.

Brasel
04-15-2002, 01:17 AM
One thing that this thread reminds me of is the fact that I don't particularly like playing complex games on gameboys or other handhelds for long amounts of time, but give me a game like tetris or the original Mario Bros, and I'll play for hours on end.

Dart Zaidyer
04-15-2002, 09:42 AM
I think a lot of developers are losing focus of what makes a great game. It is GAMEPLAY. Purdy graphics are nice, but they should not be the crutch with which the game stands on.

Leon S. Kennedy
04-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Well some games that i play on my PC are better being Realistic,
but on the other hand i like some games that arnt so realistic it all depends on the veiwer and waht they like. . . . . .but one thing all games need is good graphics :drool:

The Thing
04-15-2002, 02:33 PM
It depends.

I personally prefer fantasty type games than Realism type games. It's not the Realism that makes the game bad there are many factors in a game besides Realism.

DarkDragoonX
04-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Hermit
I think most companies have yet to find the perfect balance between looks and gameplay.

One word: Fallout.

Okay, one more word: Lunar.

mike5000
04-15-2002, 10:26 PM
I think games need Kick ass graphics...and need to have good storylines...:highfive:

Radium
04-16-2002, 06:35 PM
Personally I like the graphics for the GC zelda, I don't mind them at all... and it's the game that counts in the end anyway. but if a game has shitty art in it then it's not fun to me though. It's all opinion though. No single person can tell any other person what game is good and what is not really, you have to see for yourself.

King Link
04-16-2002, 06:38 PM
Couldn't have said it better Radium. It's opinion.