PDA

View Full Version : ZQuest Music

NEONswift
04-13-2002, 01:33 PM
I pretty new to the Zelda Classic world and was wondering if now or in the future there will be a way to use the whole of a Midi song rather than having it cut down by ZC?

supertails2001
04-13-2002, 04:31 PM
The whole song should play by default. But, it won't LOOP by default. That you need to fix yourself. If you need help on that I'll tell you how.

Cloral
04-13-2002, 04:31 PM
How long is your midi that it keeps getting cut off?
First you should check to make sure the loop start and loop end values for the midi are set to -1. It is possible that the whole midi is in there but the loop values are preventing you from hearing the whole thing.

edit:
Actually supertails it does loop by default. Otherwise it wouldn't work too well as a background theme.

Chris Miller
04-13-2002, 11:12 PM
Never had one cut off on me...
Are you sure you're not thinking of when you play a quest's midi from the misc. menu when you're playing a quest?

supertails2001
04-13-2002, 11:39 PM
Funny, it never had loop enabled by default for me. ? Oh well. whatever. Uhm, yeah. NeonSWIFT, do us all a favor and please PLEASE tell us what you mean. I love to help people (really!) but you need to clear this up. Oky-day?

Good. :D

NEONswift
04-14-2002, 05:22 AM
sorry you've all kinda taken my question the wrong way. When you place a song into ZQuest it cuts down the instruments sounds so you only hear about 4 or 5 (nothing to do with it looping, sorry) putting the song into 6 bit, 8 bit or whatever it is. What I wanted to know was if it is going to be made so the music sounds better rather than having tunes that sound similar to the NES ones?

Immortal Warrior
04-14-2002, 06:16 AM
I know whatya mean, the sound quality is reduced yeah.
Well, In the new windows betas (quest contestants and beta testers only I'm afraid) this seems to have been cleared up, and midis sound near perfect.

NEONswift
04-14-2002, 06:22 AM
all i have to do now is wait or use better music in my next game...

Cloral
04-14-2002, 04:14 PM
If possible, go into agsetup.exe and set the midi drivers to "MPU-401". The default, autodetect, likes to use Adlib, which simply sounds horrible.

NEONswift
04-15-2002, 09:39 AM
thanks Cloral and by the way you are really helpful..

The Silent Assassin
04-15-2002, 02:18 PM
The DOS ZQuest/ZC can't handle complex midi sequences.

The Windows Beta is better, but I still have midis that are a problem for it to play.

Cyclone
04-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by NEONswift
thanks Cloral and by the way you are really helpful..

Well...

Originally found in Cloral's signature...
Apparently, I am the most helpful member. That's not a good sign...

:laughing: Yup, Cloral is very helpful. :)

Yes, sound has been given a makeover. It should work a bit better in the next release. :)

Cyclone