PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on event triggering...

Cronic
04-13-2002, 04:39 AM
I plan on having several codec moments in my quest as in you'll be going through a dungeon and someone will come in and give you some friendly advice... But I can't figure out how to set it up so that you will know where to go to get it and not be annoyed by it if you say have to go back and forth through it. I could easily set up a tile to mark them but that in my opinion would be tacky.

thoughts?

PrinceMSC
04-13-2002, 05:39 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to ask or say. Could you show us a screen shot or explain it in another way?

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Cronic
04-13-2002, 05:43 AM
Hmm I'll try again..

basically (the codec screens are screens used in my intro) I want to have those set up to pop up in a dungeon or on any other screen like say a sign without being that obvious, and give you a string or to of info, but don't know how to make it obvious but not tacky or annoying.

PrinceMSC
04-13-2002, 05:56 AM
Well, this is what I would do. I would make a funny looking sign and put it on the wall of the dungeon. Make the floor tile under the sign your trigger. Then when Link walks to the sign, he steps on the trigger. It will look like Link goes and looks at it and when he does it appears big for the player.;)

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Cronic
04-13-2002, 06:00 AM
The problem I run into with that (I have one in my demo Tomb section: 1 that has you walk into a tunnel looking thing) but the codec is an internal system that stimulates the smaller bones in Link's ears so I need to figure out a way to do it and make it blend somehow...

C-Dawg
04-13-2002, 08:06 AM
He wants a one-time codec conversation, Prince, not a sign. :P

Here's what you'd do. On the screen immediatly after the codec session, or somewhere close enough by that the player will not stop and save between seeing the codec and getting to the room, have some enemies you must defeat to proceed- with shutters, perhaps. Have boss flags in room Snake triggers warp to the codec screens, and in the room you want to use as a trigger.

In the codec room, have pit combos in one small place that Snake will walk over when he first goes into the room, but dont make it so that he has any reason to go back over them right away, and bump him up a bit over the pit combos after the conversation. Then just use a trigger enemy to replace the pits with normal walking tiles when the boss flag is gone. This should functionally, work fine as a one-time conversation.

Also- I'm NOT sure if this works, but- I wonder if you can set a boss flag in an EMPTY room, and then when Link enters it, the flag is automatically triggered? If this is the case, then it should be as simple as making the last screen of the codec into a Boss Flag room and using the aforementioned pit combos.

-C

Cronic
04-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
He wants a one-time codec conversation, Prince, not a sign. :P

Here's what you'd do. On the screen immediatly after the codec session, or somewhere close enough by that the player will not stop and save between seeing the codec and getting to the room, have some enemies you must defeat to proceed- with shutters, perhaps. Have boss flags in room Snake triggers warp to the codec screens, and in the room you want to use as a trigger.

In the codec room, have pit combos in one small place that Snake will walk over when he first goes into the room, but dont make it so that he has any reason to go back over them right away, and bump him up a bit over the pit combos after the conversation. Then just use a trigger enemy to replace the pits with normal walking tiles when the boss flag is gone. This should functionally, work fine as a one-time conversation.

Also- I'm NOT sure if this works, but- I wonder if you can set a boss flag in an EMPTY room, and then when Link enters it, the flag is automatically triggered? If this is the case, then it should be as simple as making the last screen of the codec into a Boss Flag room and using the aforementioned pit combos.

-C

There is soo much of that I don't understand, but I'll try my damndest :confuse2:

C-Dawg
04-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Ok, I'll be a tad more algorithmic in my responce.

The basis behind any event is the Boss Flag. This is the only way we have in Zelda Classic to have an event in one room affect what happens in another room. Assuming you go with option1 (enemies in a room beyond the codec control whether it appears), heres what you do.

1) Set up the Codec Room

Make this a normal room, but set it up so that Snake will have to walk over some small area. In this area, make a combo that is a stair or type with a tile identical to the floor. Have it instawarp him to a screen identical to the one he WAS on, except on this screen the codec displays. You might want to use the ol' "press right or left" to proceed trick here instead of linked strings, since I assume you'll use portraits during codec conversations. Anyway, the codec should loop around and do one of two things :

a) Deposit snake back in the room he first entered the codec from, but placed a little beyond the pit/stair combos. Advantage : Easy, avoids more warps. Disad : Snake can walk back over the codec tiles again at this point.

b) Deposit snake in a room identical to the original room, and have the level designed so that you can get him back into the right room using Side Warps. (Make copies several rooms if you have several doors, just side warp him back at SOME point. It goes without saying you cant have items in these dummy rooms unless you want him to pick them up twice.) Adv : No double codec triggering. Disad : You need to hassle with side warps and bear design issues in mind.

2) Set up a boss flag event
On the codec trigger screen (the first one, described above) put a Trigger enemy there, and set the Dungeon Boss and Enemy->Secrets flag. Set it up so that when the flag is triggered, the pit/stair combos that send him into the codec are replaced with walkable solid tiles. The idea is, once the flag is triggered, the codec won't display anymore.

3) Force the player to trigger the flag
In some room directly beyond the codec room, have some enemies and shutters. Set a Dungeon Boss flag in this room, and then once the player kills all the enemies here, the codec will not display. If you make this second room follow the codec room immediatly and dont make the enemies too hard, you're pretty assured the player WILL trigger it right after seeing the Codec.
Oh, and remember that room must share a Level with the codec room.

Of course, if you have alot of Codecs, you're gonna start running out of boss flags. But then you can help me ask for DN to make boss flags aobve 32 work properly ;)

-C

Cronic
04-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Good news for you c-dawg

Originally posted by Dark Nation
5. Fixed (I hope) the bug where levels above 32 would have glitches (especially regarding information that is saved into the save file).

;)

and your formula seems like it should work so I'll keep tyhis thread for reference but with as many Codecs as I'll have it certainly won't be for them all ;) maybe just impact scenes and such.

Wait till you guys find out who "????" really is. TSA took a stab but I'm pretty sure he's way off.

C-Dawg
04-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
Wait till you guys find out who "????" really is. TSA took a stab but I'm pretty sure he's way off. [/B]

Solid Snake's male lover from that time he was "experiementing" in high scool?

-C

Jigglysaint
04-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Bah, tell one person and the whole world knows.

Why not just make it so you enter the room, you step on a warp, go through all the screens, get a misc item at the end, then place the trgger enemy back in the first room, set the secret to enemies-secret, and cover up the tiles with normal tiles?

That's sort of how I did my boss keys.