PDA

View Full Version : Playing unreal tournement online

blckscab
04-12-2002, 02:09 PM
when I play UT online, Everything takes 1 second to happen (I see the gun shoot but it takes 1 second for the shot to actuly go off.)
Can anyone Help me because it is no fun getting killed all of the time?
I have a 56k modem if that helps.

Skatche
04-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Dr. Internet gives this diagnosis:

Get Cable Internet.

That is all.

blckscab
04-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Whats the difference?
(I not very good at computers:confuse2: )
and how can I get it?

Mak-X
04-12-2002, 02:46 PM
A fast action game such as Unreal Tournament requires a fast internet connection with a good ping rate, which you can't get from a 56K connection (chances are your going to only connect at 28K-33.6K). You'd need a broadband connection of a Cable modem or DSL to play enjoyably. The slowdown your encountering is called "lag". Your internet connection is too slow for Unreal Tournament and can't keep up with everyone else in the game, so you lag behind. So much data is being sent between computers in this kind of game that a broadband connection is needed. 56K is more practicle for a Real Time Strategy game like Starcraft.

Masamune
04-12-2002, 03:14 PM
yeah get dsl or cable. it may say on the box that it's 56k compatible but it's just BARELY compatible.

Grasshopper
04-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Actually, you could play just fine on 56K. I've played on 56K and depending on how many people are on the server and what you're playing, you may play pretty good. I had a really bad 56K connection that only connected at 26.4K. And sometimes I played pretty good. Hey, what do I know though. :tongue:

blckscab
04-13-2002, 10:04 AM
I can play some games like Total Annihilation on it fine, its just Unreal tournament thet lags behind everyone else.

Mak-X
04-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by blckscab
I can play some games like Total Annihilation on it fine, its just Unreal tournament thet lags behind everyone else.

Total Annihilation is a RTS right? Like Starcraft, it shouldn't require a broadband connection to play it because of the type of game it is. In a RTS your only going to play against 2-8 players, and in Starcraft's case, if you lag during the game the game will timeout while waiting for you to catch back up with the rest of the player's computers.

Flash Man
04-13-2002, 12:06 PM
I've played Total Annihilation. It shows that thing like starcraft. Also I've played UT on 26.4k connection and I did great. Except with the Rocket Launcher, that was a slowed down weapon, everything else I had worked good.

AlexMax
04-13-2002, 12:31 PM
It's the amount of data being piped through your connection. When you play Total Annihilation, that doesn't use a lot of data. When you play UT, that uses a ton of data. Your 56K can't keep up. So you get what is called 'lag'.

If you are desporate to play a FPS over the net, play Half Life or Quake I/II. They still have people who play them, (ESPECIALLY HALF LIFE. There are a ton of people playing CS) and they don't require as much bandwidth as UT.