PDA

View Full Version : Very Big Bug

The Silent Assassin
04-11-2002, 05:11 AM
This is for Beta 147, Dark Nation.

When you use a Dungeon attribute for a dMap, any other dMaps that share the same Map # as that dMap, and are ALSO dungeon attribute dMaps...no matter what...you will ALWAYS continue from the Continue spot of the FIRST DMAP that is a dungeon that USES that map.

This happens when you quit/die, and chose "CONTINUE". However, if you chose the "CONTINUE FROM HERE" option, you STILL will continue at the first continue spot of the first dMap dungeon assigned to that Map #.

If you however, save and QUIT, and then play the file...you WILL start from the last screen you assigned as the "Continue from here" screen.

I originally thought that with any dMap sharing a Map #...any time you continued while still playing...you'd end up at the continue screen of the first dMap assigned to that map.

This is not so for Overworld/Cave attribute dMaps. They work fine.

This is a serious bug, as in my game...I use a map for up to 7 dMaps...and it gets annoying if you die...you can't continue...you have to save, then continue. It also leads to undesired effects.

Also note all my Dgn Dmaps have different #'s assigned to their respective dMaps. I thought this might have been the problem. It was not so.

C-Dawg
04-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
This is for Beta 147, Dark Nation.

When you use a Dungeon attribute for a dMap, any other dMaps that share the same Map # as that dMap, and are ALSO dungeon attribute dMaps...no matter what...you will ALWAYS continue from the Continue spot of the FIRST DMAP that is a dungeon that USES that map.

This happens when you quit/die, and chose "CONTINUE". However, if you chose the "CONTINUE FROM HERE" option, you STILL will continue at the first continue spot of the first dMap dungeon assigned to that Map #.

If you however, save and QUIT, and then play the file...you WILL start from the last screen you assigned as the "Continue from here" screen.

I originally thought that with any dMap sharing a Map #...any time you continued while still playing...you'd end up at the continue screen of the first dMap assigned to that map.

This is not so for Overworld/Cave attribute dMaps. They work fine.

This is a serious bug, as in my game...I use a map for up to 7 dMaps...and it gets annoying if you die...you can't continue...you have to save, then continue. It also leads to undesired effects.

Also note all my Dgn Dmaps have different #'s assigned to their respective dMaps. I thought this might have been the problem. It was not so.

Er.... what? I don't encouter this problem at ALL, Assassin. I don't think you have a handle on how Continue points work Dungeon Dmaps :) A quick refresher...

1) If a Dmap is a dungeon with level > 1, the Continue Point part of the Dmap Editing screen does absolutely nothing. (Actually, it may have some effect on Save->Reload-ing, but I dont see the point to having your player be able to save at anywhere but the inital place, so I never use it.)

2) When you ENTERANCE/EXIT warp INTO a Dmap, the game puts the ABSOLUTE coordinates of that screen into a lockbox somewhere and sits on it.

3) If you die on ANY DUNGEON L>1 DMAP after this point, you will return to those ABSOLUTE coordinates when you continue. If you're on the same map, you'll return to the screen from the original Dmap. But the game will still think you're using the relative Coordinates of the Dmap you died on, so if the two don't agree, you're in for trouble. If you're on a different map altogether when you die, you'll end up on those Absolute Cooridinates on a different map, so you have to account for this.

How do you fix this problem? ALWAYS USE ENTERANCE/EXIT WARPS to go between Dungeon L>1 Dmaps. If you absolutely MUST use a different kind of warp (such as setting up switches) you need to do several things :

1) Make pit combos on the screen Link will continue from that will warp him back to the initial Dmap whenever he comes to life on that screen.

2) If you have different maps, you need to make a duplicate of the original enterance room at the ABSOLUTE COORIDINATES that Link is going to snap to and then use pit combos to take Link back to the real Dmap enterance.

-C

Cloral
04-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Seeing as how this is a bug with beta 147, it shouldn't be posted here. Rather, it should go in the CQContest forum at the quest database.

TOPIC CLOSED

Cronic
04-11-2002, 07:13 PM
I moved this here to be sure one way or another.

I've had a similar problem myself that can't seem to be explained and we have been tinkering with dmap properties so it should be looked into.

DarkFlameWolf
04-11-2002, 07:29 PM
I noticed that problem too when I hit Continue and appeared in the middle of a wall. -_-