PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone, For the good of the community...

Cronic
04-10-2002, 05:47 AM
I think you should really do soething to be more organized about this contest youre running.

No one knows what version to build off of or where to get it and quite frankly it's become quite chaotic in my opinion. If I'm wrong I apoligize, but thus far I see a lot of confusion.

Which is why I would like to help. That's right help... I want more or less nothing to do with the contest itself so don't worry about that but I have a proposed system which would take care of a lot of confusion. AZC will be more than willing to do 2 things.

Host whatever the current contest build is, and setup a mailing list so that no one need ask when the new beta is released etc. The page the beta is kept on can be simple and would include a pass code that changes per build.

I'm not sure how you do things now, but I'm assuming through email, and belive me these files are being sent by your contestants to whoever asks for them so why not just make a system with less work on your part? emails etc

I would be more than willing to help end some confusion as well as allow you AZC access in case I am not there to switch out the files or update the mailing list.

It's your call I guess, but this seems as though it would end a great deal of confusion...

DarkFlameWolf
04-10-2002, 09:53 AM
I agree, more security, more organization and more keeping track of every contest participant.

Cyclone
04-10-2002, 10:39 AM
All right, I am by no means trying to put anyone or anyone's opinions down here, but let me explain what I have at the moment.

One way I keep track of participants is by e-mail. When someone e-mails me and says he (or she) is joining the contest, I would give that person forum access and move it to a folder (for now titled "Currently in Private Forum", or something like that). I had previously started by keeping e-mail addresses of participants on this machine, until I used the QDB private forum.

As for beta builds, it appears in the private forum. If you want to see for yourself, I can give you access (you ARE a beta tester, after all, so that's enough by me). You will find, upon locating the topic, that the actual program files (zelda.exe and zquest.exe, in their zipped packages for both Windows and DOS) are stored on the QDB server itself to prevent some sneak from downloading later betas when someone says they are "in testing" (simply by modifying the URL to the correct new download). The support archive is linked to DN's server, as is the Windows Allegro file.

Also, as noted in the announcement (http://boards.armageddongames.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=26) (unfortunately now, the second one on the page, which can't be helped), I plan to have a Web site of some sort going about this contest. Unfortunately, the time to design it is not yet available; I have a term of study at school to finish first. Therefore, once THAT is done (April 27 or thereabouts), I can get to work on a Web site with any details, including an updated rules page and scoring template.

If there are any other concerns, I'm willing to address them here. If not...:)

And Darth, I have decided to give you forum access in case you do have other possible concerns. Please don't address them in that forum, however; just bring them back here (or even PM or AIM me about them), and I'll be happy. :)

Cyclone

Cronic
04-10-2002, 10:43 AM
I'll address them here actually. I recieve far too many emails, Pms and Ims concerning your contest (which btw I'm not involved in). All of which ask me for the files youre promising them.

I'm willing to help, but it's becomming quite an annoyance.

Cyclone
04-10-2002, 10:49 AM
They're e-mailing you for the files? :laughing:

Sorry, but I find that amusing. :)

Either way, just redirect them to e-mail me at [email protected]

If I have them registered for the contest, I will give them access. But tell them I need the QDB ID, or they won't be able to get access to the forum with all of the files.

Cyclone