PDA

View Full Version : Why new enemy tiles?

VGWarrior
04-09-2002, 11:03 PM
I don't fully see the purpose of having a "new enemy tiles" rule (it's in the 104 beta). What exactly does it do?

plith
04-09-2002, 11:31 PM
It.. sorta... enables... the new set... of enemy tiles to be used...

Have you been living under a rock since Christmas? Granted, there are massive bugs with those enemies in 104, and the positions have been moved around a lot before getting to their current position, but here's what they do:

BS-style animation. That is, four frames for every direction.
Various parts of enemy behavior, including walking, flying, and firing.
New enemies that work best in the new enemy tiles (such as the Manhandla2, BS Aquamentus, BS Dodongo, and new wizrobes).

Pages taken up? At the moment, pages 6-32 utilize the new enemy tiles.

VEL
04-09-2002, 11:32 PM
It gives the enemies more frames of animation (4 for each direction). So they animate smoother and BS octorocks don't look like there standing on their heads.

DarkFlameWolf
04-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Its just a lot better. :)

VGWarrior
04-10-2002, 07:26 AM
I haven't lived under a rock; I just didn't know that one thing...and I don't recall it being mentioned much on these forums.

Now that I remember a little...one quest I played had some Stalfos being able to face to the LEFT and RIGHT as well as up and down! Was that enemy affected by that new tiles rule?

itschris
04-10-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
Now that I remember a little...one quest I played had some Stalfos being able to face to the LEFT and RIGHT as well as up and down! Was that enemy affected by that new tiles rule?

Yep, that's just one example of the new enemy tiles. You can also have seperate tiles for each differently-coloured enemy (ex. red octorock and blue octorock) so they can look completely different.

Raichu86
04-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by itschris
Yep, that's just one example of the new enemy tiles. You can also have seperate tiles for each differently-coloured enemy (ex. red octorock and blue octorock) so they can look completely different.

That is quite useful. I plan to use it to make different bosses. Gleeok 2 heads could be a ghost, and Gleeok 3 heads could be a dragon, for example.

Daarkseid
04-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
I haven't lived under a rock; I just didn't know that one thing...and I don't recall it being mentioned much on these forums.

I don't think it was mentioned much after the public release of beta build 104, since the enemy tile positions are messed up in that version; ZQuest's default positions for enemy tiles are in one position, while the game uses different tile positions for those enemies. I don't think people wanted to mess with this option for Beta 104 while the enemy positions were out of whack.