PDA

View Full Version : How to solve the problem of long signatures...

Dark Dude
04-09-2002, 02:29 PM
...and I don't mean disabling them. But I just thought I'd throw this idea out there, how about making signatures into little iframes, but still using the same limits as now. Not too many images and only us vB code. There's way to do it without creating new web pages for each signature, and if any of the admins likes the idea enough, I'll see if I can figure out how. I've seen it done before.

Darunia
04-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Usng the little letters SIZE=1text/SIZE will take the long text. Now, about images... :shrughs:

vegeta1215
04-09-2002, 03:13 PM
iframes only work with IE! Bad idea!

How about having one of the Admins or Sr. Mods officially throwing out the suggestion to members to limit their sig lengths? Unless they really put a strict limit on it, it's the best thing to do I think (especially without changing the code for VB around, which is really unnecessary).

Toolie
04-09-2002, 03:44 PM
IFRAMES are god's gift to webdesigners... I've used them on sites a few times and they looked wonderful! Plus 95% or so of the Internet is IE (or compatable) so why not... just find a way so there isn't an html file for each sig file... maybe an addition to an SQL database?

AlexMax
04-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Only one problem.

IT'S NOT A STANDARD!

So you will put something like that in the forums, make the forums unviewable to anyone else except people who use IE, and limit peoples choices on what browser they use? You are only promoting Microsoft's monopoly over the web browser world. USE STANDARD CODE (like Java)

vegeta1215
04-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Last time I checked, the web wasn't 95% IE users. It's more like 75% IE (at the most! it's probably around 60% in actuality), and the rest are Netscape users and others including Opera, Mozilla, Konquerer, Links etc...(in short, there are many browsers out there)

Whatever the true figures are, I'm sure it's no greater than 75% IE users. Even if it was that high, that's neglecting a quarter of your viewers! How can you even consider that?

Anyways, sorry to get off topic from the issue at hand, but I could go all day about web coding practices and how many people around here need to learn! (at least from the ignorance they've shown about browser compatibility)

Daarkseid
04-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215

How about having one of the Admins or Sr. Mods officially throwing out the suggestion to members to limit their sig lengths? Unless they really put a strict limit on it, it's the best thing to do I think (especially without changing the code for VB around, which is really unnecessary).

Vegeta's right. This is why we have authority figures on the forums, to curb abuses of member privileges. There doesn't need to be one great fix all solution to every little problem. If the admins, moderators and Sr. Mods are doing their jobs, everythings fine, and if they're not doing their jobs, then the solution ought to be to get those people to do their jobs, not find a solution that circumvents the problem of lax authority.

Dark Dude
04-09-2002, 05:16 PM
okay... what about this:
<iframe width="100%" height="150px>Then you could put the signature here so people without iframes can see it but they'll still have the long version of signatures.</iframe>

QueenXaviera
04-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Speaking of "siggys", a test I took on thespark.com said I was only 51% bitch :kawaii:

NerdWarrior
04-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Long sigs aren't a problem, because the staff is doing its job.

mrz84
04-09-2002, 09:12 PM
ya look at me. i used to have the longest sig ive seen at AGN but look at it, now. all thanks to the mods, sen. mods, and admits at AGN! :kawaii:

DemoQuestFan
04-09-2002, 09:38 PM
I fixed my sig size by making all unimprotant text the small size font so my sig is lower then the maximum 50% of a 1024x768 screensize

Mak-X
04-09-2002, 10:39 PM
I think a limit on the amount of lines you can have in a signature would cut down on a lot of the excessive signatures.

What I don't understand is how raising the screen resoultion = more room for a signature when all it does is keep the signatures on the same lines, and spreads out the actual posting, making the signature hugely disproportionate to the actual post. Raising the screen resoultion is not the answer in order to see the top and bottom of other posts.

It's a neat idea to have a scroll box, but I think if your signature is that big that it needs a scroll box, that person needs a website.

J.J. Maxx
04-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mrz84
ya look at me. i used to have the longest sig ive seen at AGN but look at it, now. all thanks to the mods, sen. mods, and admits at AGN! :kawaii:

Yours is still way too long, dude. It takes up like two pages at 640x480.. But thats just MHO....

Dark Dude
04-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by QueenXaviera
Speaking of "siggys", a test I took on thespark.com said I was only 51% bitch :kawaii: Perhaps I should fix that then...