PDA

View Full Version : Snes Games

MottZilla
04-07-2002, 05:40 PM
I'm getting a collection of Snes games together and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything worth while. I would post the link but the no roms rule and all, so instead I'm posting the list of my collection so far. If you know anything decent/good that I am missing please tell me.

It's attached to this post in a TXT.

Daarkseid
04-07-2002, 05:52 PM
You could add Paladin's Quest to that list, which is an RPG I've been playing alot lately. It has graphics that are comparable to first generation SNES RPGs, although the enemy animations and art in battles are pretty cool. The sound track is decent in places, although I will give that the final boss track is probably the coolest final boss track I've ever listened to.

Gameplay is largely RPGish, although the battle system is a bit different than conventional RPGs. You can use in battle virtually every piece of equipment your character has, so unless that equipment has a special use(like Sophie's crown which heals the wearer when used in battle), that item will be used like a weak weapon against the enemies. Sometimes non weapon equipment is better than conventional weapons, like the Iron boot that one of the characters has earlier in the game.

Magic is included in this game, but doesn't use MP(as no MP is in this game), instead it lowers your HP by a small amount. So none of the magic you get actually heals you. Healing is left up to Medicine bottles with come with a total of 9 doses(can be used 9 times) at which point you get them refilled at the tool shop. The amount the bottle heals depends on its strength, so a Mini bottle heals only 300 HP per dose, and a High Bottle heals 800 per dose. Theres no specific type of medicine that goes into these bottles, it costs just as much to refill a Mega Bottle as it is to fill a lousy Antidote Bottle(for curing status ailments). Since you can't use items in battle, only equipment, you can can equip a potion bottle to your belt for use in Battle.

Only complaints I have are weak character development(which takes away from the otherwise decent storyline), and a massive encounter rate. You'll spend a long time trudging through dungeons, being attacked every 5 or so steps.

Also, the graphics are kinda unique. Instead of going with a typical Green leafy tree, like you would see in most RPGs, they have a whole new style for that tree, mountains, town architecture, since this game is supposed to take place on a planet unique to our own.

If you're an RPG fan, I'd say this is worth trying out. Its by no means on par with many of the SNES' later RPGs, but then again, it was released in 1993, around the time Secret of Mana was(which isn't a true RPG, and is likely why Paladin's Quest was unnoticed).

Warlock
04-07-2002, 05:58 PM
E.V.O. - The Search for Eden was a great game

Glenn the Great
04-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Pryme8 hooked me up with E.V.O. yesterday. It's a very easy game, but very fun.

MottZilla
04-07-2002, 06:17 PM
I remember E.V.O.

I need that and paladin's quest so far.

Ultra22Lemming
04-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is a great game. Even though I never have time to beat the game it is an awsome game.

MottZilla
04-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Ah yes, I forget to nab that one too. I have all the other fantasys.

mrz84
04-07-2002, 06:51 PM
if you want a strategy game with giant(well theyre supposed to be anyway) robots and neat anime like characters, try metal marines. its a good game and the enemy is funny sometimes especially after you attack or thrawt one of their attacks. :kawaii:

Ultra22Lemming
04-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Ok about 5 minutes ago I looked at every single s-nes game I have and made a list of 7 good games out of the 30+ s-nes games I have. Here is the list:

-Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
-Super Metroid
-Earthbond
-Chrono Trigger
-Illusion of Gaia
-Civilization
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

NOTE: sorry I wasn't able to add these games to my first post (it didn't come to my mind then)

AlexMax
04-07-2002, 08:52 PM
You need three more...

- Kirby's dream course
- Illusion of Gaia
- Soul Blazer

MottZilla
04-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Ok, updated list.

Arcayn
04-08-2002, 04:42 AM
I saw you listed Radical Dreamers.. that is the Snes follow up to Chrono Trigger, and sort-of prequel to Chrono Cross. But it's merely an all-text game, that and there's no translation AFAIK. Might want to reconsider getting it, it's not really worth it.

Other good titles:

Flashback (a Prince of Persia style game in a futurisitc setting)
Street Racer (Mario Kart clone)
Live a live (odd Square RPG, chapter-based, fantranslated)

I'm sure there are some I missed, I'll let you know when I'm at home.

itschris
04-08-2002, 08:48 AM
I like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

MottZilla
04-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Arcayn
I saw you listed Radical Dreamers.. that is the Snes follow up to Chrono Trigger, and sort-of prequel to Chrono Cross. But it's merely an all-text game, that and there's no translation AFAIK. Might want to reconsider getting it, it's not really worth it.

No no. That list is all the games I have.

Arcayn
04-09-2002, 01:09 PM
I see. Well, you said you wanted worthwile games, and RD can't really be considered a worthwile one. What are you doing with these games, anyway?

Oh and don't forget Romancing Saga 3 (prequel to Saga Frontier series). It's the only one of the RS series that's translated yet.

Blake
04-09-2002, 01:32 PM
I really like Tactics Ogre, there is an playstation version and a Snes version, they are the same game.

It is a fun RPG game which you create people to fight against two other major armies (Gargastan and Bacrum), also there are three endings possible.:D

MottZilla
04-09-2002, 05:40 PM
I think you misunderstood. These games I have them. And If there are any worthwhile games you know of that I'm missing, mention them please. I'm not saying everyone in that list is worthwhile.