PDA

View Full Version : FFII(j) or FFIII(j)? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Mitsukara
04-07-2002, 04:30 AM
Recently, I finished playing the original Final Fantasy. It was rather good, although the story left something to be desired; I mean, there barely was any story until after the four orbs had been relit, and then the story didn't make any sense.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, I've played FFIV, FFV, and FFI (in that order). Now, I'm not sure which FF I should play next. I've decided that I don't want to play FFVI, or at least not yet; however, I don't know if I want to play FFII or FFIII.

Now, FFII and FFIII each have their pros and cons, and I find myself unable to decide. FFII seems to have a good, actual storyline; however, it's so-called level-up system is insane! Values actually go down, and getting them not to go down requires ridiculous behavior; you actually have to hit yourself to gain HP and vitality! On the other hand, FFIII has decent gameplay, plus a nice little (although somewhat simple) Job System... but as little storyline as FFI (prior to the time-loop nonsense)!

I find myself unable to decide, under these circumstances, which game to play. Therefore, I am taking votes on whichever you preffered.

Cloral
04-07-2002, 05:20 AM
FF3 has better play value. While the class system is somewhat simple, it still allows for a good bit of strategy. You have to make sure you have the right party for the next area and the skills you'll need to get through.

Daarkseid
04-07-2002, 12:37 PM
FFIIIj actually has more of a storyline than Final Fantasy I does, with a more coherent story towards the end.

I'd not bother with FFIIj unless you're really into the FF series, like myself, and even I haven't been able to finish FFIIj. FFIIIj though is very playable, and had only a few parts I got stuck on. My only complaint was the somewhat rediculous attack patterns of some of the enemies, like Gurudo and Dark Cloud. Gurudo does nothing a thunder attack which can fry all your characters, and uses it every round. Dark Cloud casts this flare wave that can lower your characters by 1/3 to 1/2 of their HP, and casts it every round. Essentially, you have to find a battle strategy that avoids as much damage as possible while dealing the most damage, so I guess it did up the requirement for battle strategy.

vegeta1215
04-07-2002, 01:07 PM
I downloaded both, but I haven't gotten around to playng them yet :( I hope I'll have time in the future. I just hope they're both better than FF1 though.

For now I gotta finish SD3 again and maybe get through Tales of Phantasia (though I loathe it's graphics!)

Arcayn
04-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Some people...
You loathe Tales of Phantasia's graphics, but don0t complain about Final Fantasy 8-bit ugliness?

ToP was one of the best looking SFC games out there... really, how you could loathe its graphics is beyond me.

mrz84
04-07-2002, 01:41 PM
ff3j. its worth it. 2j is just a little too confusing but for some reason i still play it though i HATE its level up system, who doesnt? :kawaii:

Hermit
04-07-2002, 01:44 PM
I prefer playing games in order. Gives better understanding of where a series was, has been, and where it's going. But since you've pretty much thrown that out the window I guess it's up to you :blah:

Elemental Knight
04-07-2002, 02:33 PM
IIIj. OnionKids are really annoying, so it's fun to watch them die.

mrz84
04-07-2002, 03:04 PM
but the onion kid is so :kawaii: . how could you let them die? oh well. like the poll shows, i think everybody's opioion is spoken about which one they prefer. :kawaii:

Ultra22Lemming
04-07-2002, 03:15 PM
I voted for ff3 I think it is fun that's why I voted for it.

Daarkseid
04-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Arcayn
Some people...
You loathe Tales of Phantasia's graphics, but don0t complain about Final Fantasy 8-bit ugliness?

ToP was one of the best looking SFC games out there... really, how you could loathe its graphics is beyond me.

I think Final Fantasy I, IIj, and IIIj can be excused for its 8-bit graphics because they're on the NES, which had graphics that were only maybe cutting edge back in 1983. These games were made in 1986, 1988, and 1990 respectively with a graphics that were horribly outdated. Tales of Phantasia, has some impressively realistic graphics, but realism doesn't make my head turn so much as creativity and style. This is why I prefer SD3 over ToP. ToP's graphics seem to have this level of sterility that I find uninspiring, however, I could be wrong since I've only played through the beginning(however the grassland battle scene I saw very impressive, with the swaying grasses).

vegeta1215
04-07-2002, 11:11 PM
I like the battles in ToP, but the overworld map and in-town/dungeons parts, the sprites and environments just seem blurry to my eyes. I guess I was just expecting more, that's why I brought it up.

FF, FF2j and FF3j however, I was expecting NES 8 bit graphics.

Dragon Omega
04-07-2002, 11:38 PM
FFIIIj without a doubt! :mischief: