PDA

View Full Version : Safe Files

Napalm
04-06-2002, 12:14 AM
The computer I use everybody else in the house does, my brother Tony, his girlfriend Lowell, and I. It belongs to Lowell, she bought it and registered under her name before she met my brother.

I have my own file folder, and I don't like knowing people can just click in and look at my shit.

So, is there a way you can put a password on a single file folder?
Thanks.

Cyclone
04-06-2002, 12:16 AM
I don't think I can with 98. However, you can create separate My Documents folders for each user; would that work, or can anyone's folder be viewed by anyone?

Cyclone

Hermit
04-06-2002, 12:25 AM
It is possible to hide, secure, password-protect, and do virtually whatever you want to anything on your computer. I used to have a little freeware program that did things like that. That was eons ago though. Go browse download.com and see if they offer anything like that. I'm sure that's where I got mine from.

Here's a link to freeware type security stuff at download.com. Weed through it in your own time and see if anything suits you.

http://download.cnet.com/1,10150,0-10105-106-0-1-1,00.html?filterQuery=true&os=&li=2&dlsize=

Napalm
04-06-2002, 12:29 AM
We don't have it to where we sign on as an individual user and have our own desktops, it's just open to everything for everybody.

Damn, with all the things a computer can do, it doesn't have an optional thing for puttin passwords on files? There has to be a way. Or maybe not.

EDIT> Sorry Hermit, I was typing this when you posted that. Thanks, I'll check it out. I still can't beleive Windows doesn't already have it.

Hermit
04-06-2002, 12:37 AM
No problem. I took a look at the first couple pages and there's some pretty useful stuff in there. Happy hunting :thumbsup:

vegeta1215
04-06-2002, 01:11 AM
This wouldn't be a problem if you had Linux :D

All you'd have to do was take the permissions off the directory you don't want people looking in for groups and others, and you're problem would be solved! (well, of course root could access it, but not regular users) If the directory you wanted to block was called 'my_stuff', you'd go to the directory immediatly beneath and go:

chmod go-rwx my_stuff/

Easy huh?

I think there's a way to set similar permissions on Windows 2000. Maybe on Windows XP too, but I haven't used XP.