PDA

View Full Version : The Wacky World of Suicide

E-FORCE
04-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Now this woman must be (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20020404/od_nm/note_dc_1) seriously insane, or a genius to have done something like that. I mean if you had kids, and you killed your spouse and been caught and sent to jail. Would you stay alive to let your kids see what will happen to you, or commit suicide to spare everyone the trouble of years of pain?

Jigglysaint
04-05-2002, 12:52 AM
I think suicide period is in bad taste. I would hardly forgive my mother for killing herself, let alone my father.

It's bad enough to take another's life.

The only "Suicide" I'm interested in is Suicide Wings.

Edit: Mmmm, Suicide Wings:drool:

Daarkseid
04-05-2002, 01:43 AM
You poll seems to have a bit of a selection bias to it... it makes light of suicide over prison time. Unless the kids really despised their mother, I mean could not stand her, etc, they would feel some terrible emptiness left by their mother. At least in Jail, they may be able to see her, visit her, get some benefit of her being alive, if so much as knowing she's alive and still somewhat a part of life.

Suicide may actually be more painful to those children than just going to jail with the kind of notoriety that comes with a trial and prison sentencing.

But then maybe suicide could be an answer, if you're generally unconcerned with how people will take your suicide(and why should you? You'll be dead anyway), and Jail sounds like utter hell, then by all means, kill yourself.

richeva
04-22-2002, 02:54 AM
He, He, thats funny.

Hey, can you do that, Does it work?

AtmaWeapon
04-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Actually, I would be embarrassed and more traumatized.

First, there would be the fact that my father was murdered. This would traumatize me greatly.

Second, there would be the fact that my mother murdered my father, another traumatic event that would permanently scar me.

Third, there would be the fact that my mother committed suicide. The death of both of my parents would hurt me greatly. Suicide is a pussy's way out of your problems, and it hurts everyone who cares about you. It would mean that now instead of being able to visit my mom and maybe one day understand why she killed my father, now I will have to wonder the rest of my life if my mother was evil or if she was justified. Did dad get drunk and come at her with a knife? Who will ever know? I would probably see it this way: If my mother was justified in her murder, she woudn't have felt guilty enough to kill herself. There would still be unreconcilable doubt, though.

Fourth, the fact that my mother tried to capitalize off of her death with a frivolous lawsuit would be a death blow to my sanity. I've visited a maximum security prison before, and I was impressed with the level of supervision the prisoners are under. However, the guide did show us the building where prisoners with prices on their heads are kept, and her comment was "If someone wants you dead bad enough, there's no way we can protect you forever." If it is possible for prisoners to murder each other, even under supervision, then suicide shouldn't be too tough. The lawsuit would bother me. If my family (what's left of it, at least) won, then we would be taking money from an already overtaxed corrections system, meaning that many people who truly deserved to be in jail would be given shorter sentences to try and save money.

I mean, seriously. Even if my mother had killed my father and moved, I know my friends would support me and help me. They'd probably help me after her suicide and lawsuit, but I'd be too embarrassed. I'd have to move. There'd be no other way. This woman should have thought of all this stuff before hanging herself, or even better, before killing her husband.

Jemsee
04-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Well said AtmaWeapon. :clap:

Didn't note how old the two kids were, but the loss of both parents has got to be traumatic.
A lawsuit against the jail may fail, so now no provisions for the children. At least alive she could have an influence on there lives.
Hence comes the old adage "Where there is life, there is hope".
Now there is nothing.

CH@O$
04-22-2002, 09:56 AM
ahh, the case is as watertight as a mermaid's brazier, but it was all she could do for her children and i suppose alot of mothers would do the same:eyebrow:

AtmaWeapon
04-22-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by CH@O$
ahh, the case is as watertight as a mermaid's brazier, but it was all she could do for her children and i suppose alot of mothers would do the same:eyebrow:

All she could do? ALL SHE COULD DO?? Let's look at the situation.

The children are fatherless, and if she goes to prison, technically motherless. They will be placed in the care of either a family member or a foster home. They can still visit their mother, and they still have hope of piecing together what happened and one day forgiving her. She still gets to see the children, and apologize for the trouble she has caused them and the whole family.

Instead, she chose to kill herself. Now, the children are orphans, and have to ask themselves why other children have two parents and they don't have any. They have to ask themselves why their father was so bad their mother killed him. They have to ask themselves why their mother killed herself instead of staying behind to try and comfort them. They have to wonder if there was something they could have done to help. They will live with the trauma for the rest of their lives.

I don't even see how her lawsuit is germaine. Can she testify in court about her mistreatment in prison? No. The only witness is dead. If she had filed negligence because they hadn't regularly checked on her, they would have had a case. However, the prison can now claim they checked on her frequently, and no one can prove otherwise. It doesn't take long to hang yourself. I am assuming she hung herself with a bedsheet or clothing or something, since the article didn't really specify. I could make a simple noose out of a tautline hitch and hang myself in less than a minute. I imagine she wasn't necessarily in a hurry, but she still probably wrote the note, made a knot, and hung herself in less than 5 minutes. How on Earth are guards supposed to check on EVERY prisoner in a prison once every 5 minutes? I'm telling you, corrections facilities are understaffed and underfunded.

SO, let's look at all this woman has done for her children out of love for them. She has left them:
1)Emotional trauma over a father's murder
2)Emotional trauma over a mother's suicide
3)Legal fees for her trial (if she was tried already)
4)Funeral fees for a father
5)Funeral fees for a mother
6)No parents
7)Legal fees for a pointless lawsuit that will probably fail

I'm sure any good mother would put her children in financial and emotional distress on purpose.