PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 149

Dark Nation
04-04-2002, 12:17 AM
What's new/fixed in this version:

1. Added a breakable shields rule. Old quests have this enabled by default. With if off, you can't break darknut shields with the hammer anymore.

2. Potions now restore magic, too.

3. Magic refilling is 4 times as fast now.

4. Fixed the zoras. When I fixed the new enemy tile animation code, I broke the zoras. They became very... fast.

5. Fixed the range on the super bomb for triggering bomb and super bomb flags. Now, If the inner smoke patterns hit the flag, it will trigger. Before, the very center smoke pattern hat to hit the trigger.

6. Fixed the "no subscreen" quest rule. Now, the subscreen won't activate when you hit the "start" button and there is no black border on the game field when you activate the menu.

7. Fixed (for real, this time, I hope) the bug where Link would sometimes freeze for an intro string and would stay frozen.

8. Fixed (again, for real, this time, I hope) the bug where intro strings would show up more than one time (it might show up again if you enter a DMap a second time).

9. Fixed string linking where the correct string is displayed now instead of just the next string in the list.

10. Not a biggie, but a small asthetic changeL Now, message strings, intro strings, and dmap titles only display the edit cursor in ZQuest if you are actually editing the string.

I'm currently checking into the possibility of making it where you can set the compas and continue points for DMaps by holding down Ctrl or Alt and clicking on the grid area. Also, looking into allowing each DMap to have its own custom minimap. If its not set, then the correct minimap (overworld or dungeon) will be used instead.

Any other thoughts, bugs, enhancement suggestions? Bugs are most important, of course.

I'm sure that the bug that previously was corrupting quests that had exactly 256 combos is still around. I think it's a roaming bug, though, so something else may trigger it now. You might want to turn on the auto-backup feature.

Anyway, here are the files:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 149 for DOS (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b149/zc192b149d.exe)
+zelda.exe
+zquest.exe

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 149 for Windows (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b149/zc192b149w.exe)
+zelda-w.exe
+zquest-w.exe

Here's the new support archives:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147+ Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zc192b147s.exe)
+1st.qst
+2nd.qst
+3rd.qst
+new enemy tiles.pdf
+new.til
+newfirst-fixed.qst
+zelda.dat
+zgp.dat
+zquest.dat

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 144+ Windows Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b144/zc192b144ws.exe)
+alleg40.dll

If you already have the beta 144+ support archive, just download these two files:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 NewDefault patch (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zgp.dat)
+zgp.dat

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 Game Engine Datafile patch (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zelda.dat)
+zelda.dat

Cyclone
04-04-2002, 12:23 AM
That was great timing.

And...uh...DN, answer my PM. :blah:

Cyclone

JayeM
04-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Is this a bad time to ask about a larger window again? :eyebrow:

Have you tried loading new1st-fixed in the player and entering a guy cave? I just did, still no strings.

Overlord
04-04-2002, 12:34 AM
The custom minimaps would be great, but how about looking into the possibilities of Boss Markers? like in Z3+ where it shows skull for the boss? And Treasure Markers too would be nice..

Chronos
04-04-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by JayeM
Is this a bad time to ask about a larger window again? :eyebrow:

I also would like a larger window...mine looks so small and goes off the screen to the left...

Can I fix this?

KJAZZ
04-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Dark Nation
Added a breakable shields rule. Old quests have this enabled by default. With if off, you can't break darknut shields with the hammer anymore.

I thought thats what the "broken darknut shields" rule does...or does that make them use the broken tiles?

EDIT: Argh, I misread your post. I thought you meant new quests..not old ones. Argh, I'm an idiot, DN..

BTW, you might want to make the rule be off by default, but rename it. I haven't checked the beta yet, but if it is called "Can't break darknut shields with hammer" I think you should rename it "Can break Darknut shields with hammer" and turn it off by default, so all the rules are off by default. I think it would make more sense for all of them to be off be default...:shrug:

Any other thoughts, bugs, enhancement suggestions? Bugs are most important, of course.

I still want that screen flag. To recap:

The screen flag should make it so when you trigger the secret combos on the screen, the shutter opens. I've already gone over the uses of it, but if you really want me to I can explain..:blah:

BTW, what does the "Link Dungeon Pos. Fix" rule do?

Starkist
04-04-2002, 01:32 AM
As of beta 148, the sword shooting bug is still around. Swords shoot whether they're supposed to or not.

texasdex
04-04-2002, 07:55 AM
BUG: In 148 (and i assume this one too) if you have the cont. heart beep off] and lose enough life to start the beep, it sounds for a moment like you are picking up a 5-rupee piece. Doesn't happen in regular mode.

Dark Nation
04-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Starkist, send me a sample quest. JayeM, I'm not getting that bug. Send me the exact quest you have that's doing that. Or post a link here. My e-mail is dn_mcg.yahoo.com. Texasdex, it's supposed to do that. It beeps just a little to let you know that you have low health, but doesn't do it continuously.

Dark Nation
04-04-2002, 10:24 AM
JayeM, I'm getting that bug with the file you sent me. However, that file has been saved in beta 149, and I suspect another beta or two prior to that. I think that's what's causing the bug: saving it in a beta that had a string problem. Doing so basically purged all the strings in the quest. Try loading a 1.90 quest or redownload the beta 147 support archive and try the quest then. Tell me if you still get that error.

Nightmare
04-04-2002, 11:52 AM
Some messed-up enemies:
Left Aquamentus and Fire-spitting Gohma both have messed up tiles. You'll want to fix them.

-NJS-

JayeM
04-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Yep, that worked. :uhoh: Sorry...

Starkist
04-04-2002, 02:43 PM
Starkist, send me a sample quest.

Now that's the weirdest thing... I made a short little sample quest to illustrate and it worked fine. I'll go back through and check my quest and see if anythings where its not supposed to be and get back to you. (My quest is over 1 MB so I'll send it as a last resort.)

Cyclone
04-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
(My quest is over 1 MB so I'll send it as a last resort.)

Is this a new trend? My group quest has mushroomed to 900+ KB recently, too...

Cyclone
[email protected]

Starkist
04-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone

Is this a new trend?

So many maps, tiles, etc.... the new enemy tiles themselves take up a lot of space.

bigjoe
04-05-2002, 01:14 AM
been testing the new features, so far I havent found any bugs , ill edit this post the moment I do ..

EDIT: Bug , when pasting to a template screen , it doesnt always paste right, it will leave hollow spots where the doors are

Starkist
04-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Mapmaker didn't like the .qsu file from beta 149. It said that it couldn't use the default tileset.... my quest is far from the default.

Dark Nation
04-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Yeah, the quest file format has changed. I need to get FatCatFan the update information.

fatcatfan
04-05-2002, 07:43 PM
I guess I should change the file-sniffing logic a bit. Right now, MM will load any qsu with a version later than the version of MM. If it encounters a zero for the number of tiles, it gives the message Starkist is seeing. But when the format changes, the location of the number of tiles changes...

It would be confusing, but could we somehow have an "export version"? A version number in the qsu separate from ZC's version, which changes only when the file format changes... dunno how else I can reliably program MM to detect whether or not it can use a file. Or maybe only change the version outputted to qsu's when the file format changes.