PDA

View Full Version : Plz Read this.

Torch Of Fire
04-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Why do most of us base our quests on other games. Why do we barely ever have quests that don't invovle Ganon? Why can't we base some maps on some other badguy and create some sprites that overwrite Ganon, In order to stop having a continueum of Zelda games based on all the rest, Look at Majora's Mask in it at least they didn't use Ganon but added a new foe. Now why can't we do things like that to spice up the game cause in almost every zelda quest not based on other games, you can always find Ganon.

VGWarrior
04-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Other quests have replaced Gannon's sprite with other guys. One of those quests, Dark Ages or something like that (new-first quest with BS overworld map), had Link's evil dark side (not exactly shadow link, but good enough)!

And with customizable endings, it doesn't have to be Link rescuing Hyrule! It can be Sonic rescuing Mobius or something.

Or...you could use my original idea: Have Zelda start saying that Link's the hero, but then she'll say "Hey! You're not Link! SECURITY!!!"

Just find the quests with new tilesets/endings; they are around.

Nick
04-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Case 1:

Zelda Classic

First off, many people stick to the classic style of Ganon being the final boss. We also still see people using Classic Graphics for quests. Zelda Classic came from being a clone of the original LOZ, but it became much more. Still, it came from the original classic, which had Ganon as a final boss.

Case 2:

A change is happening. I haven't seen a trace of Ganon in many of the newer quests coming out. Yeah, my quest has Ganon in it, but he is much weaker and only featured in the first of the quest. He later gets killed by the true boss of the quest (I hope noone who hasn't made it that far in my quest seen that).

Case 3:

The new features have allowed people to "create" there own bosses and final bosses! For instance, I'm making a boss for a level that hides like Ganon, then shoots flame trails, then "throws" bombs. He's actually an evil version of Link with extensive knowledge of the dark arts. I would just come out and tell you the final boss of my game, but that would give away the "plot" I have going. One thing is for sure, it isn't Ganon.

Conclusion:

Even though ZC came from a clone of Zelda 1, there is a change happening with quests. You mainly haven't seen it because these quests are not finished yet. It's "the next generation" of quests that use these features.

Of course, if you look around you will find some quests that already replace Ganon.

Hopefully that was a clear message as I just typed stuff as it came to me.

C-Dawg
04-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Yea, Zelda Classic can be used to make other quests. But it's best suited to making Zelda games becuase... well... thats the point. The original engine was from Zelda1, and the new features are basically all pulled from other Zelda games. And Gannon is a tradition- it's like having presents on Christmas.

I dont recall a single non-zelda based game ever getting finished, actually.

-C

plith
04-03-2002, 11:45 PM
There's MagmaLord's FF2 quest.

KJAZZ
04-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
...have replaced Gannon's sprite...

Don't let TSA see that.

Actually, I had an idea a while ago. Release two versions of my quest, one features Link and Ganon and same old story..

The other one features a Brand new Link GFX, revamped story, new enemies..they would play the same but one would have more detailed story and better sprites, as well as different music.

i.e.

quest_vzelda.qst
quest_vnormal.qst

See what I mean? ;)

Teilyr
04-04-2002, 01:51 AM
I don't know if this was previously mentioned.. I'm too much of a lazy ass to go back and read everything over again.

But, alot of the reason that most of the quests you see involve Gannon is that, regardless of how far you span from the Zelda storyline, everyone likes a reminiscent venture every now and again... and sometimes, the first quest is just too ... repetitive for expert players.

Hence the popularity of MSC's quests, in my opinon. They're staples in the pages of history, even if they're not made by Miyamoto. Revenge 2 is such an example. It embodied all the things that made the original LoZ memorable, and incorporated alot of today's standards and expectations.

So, there will always be a desire for everything.. You get people like me that love to put a new spin on the classic style, with new effects and ways of doing things.. and others, like plith and Arcayn that dispose of the Zelda aspect, and design a badass tileset to accompany a promising quest.

There will always be a desire for old times. I hope so, anyway.
-Tei

GuitarmanTim
04-04-2002, 08:21 AM
I agree that most of the quests stick to the classic "legend of zelda" storyline for the most part but there really are some nice non-zelda quests out there and there are many more to come. I could tell u of a few right now but the people that are making them would get pretty mad :) so I'm gonna not say anything about that, just trust me when I say that within a month or 2 we'll be seeing a whole lot of non-zelda quests around (including my own ofcourse ;))