PDA

View Full Version : Virtua Fighter 4

AlexMax
04-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Who else would shave their left nut to play this? I know I would.

Some scream-shots. Why scream?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/vf4/vf4_0314_screen006.jpg

HOLY SHIT! THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/vf4/vf4_0314_screen004.jpg

OMG! LOOK AT THAT DEFORMABLE SNOW!

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/vf4/vf4_0314_screen011.jpg

AND DEFORMABLE SAND!

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/vf4/vf4_0314_screen050.jpg

AND YOU CAN EVEN MODIFY A CHARACTOR!

In addition to the awesome visuals, the kumate (tournament fighting) mode where you can actually get certain 'don''s or belts, and the A.I. training mode, where YOU get to train the A.I. and teach it everything you know, and have it compete in the kumate or against other players, or hell, even against other A.I. or perhaps yourself. And not to mention that the normal A.I. is almost the BEST of ANY game. And the THREE training modes which makes this fighter accessable to anyone, and the...oh my god...I'm gonna SCREAM!

*cough*

So anyway, what do you think about this game?

Masamune
04-03-2002, 06:08 PM
i don't have to shave my nuts! i already bought it yesterday!:blah:

Daarkseid
04-03-2002, 06:33 PM
I think it looks awesome, and the customization features sound really really good. Plus the things you can reportedly do with the AI. This is gonna go on my list of PS2 games I'll eventually get(since right now I'm trying to come up with a way to purchase a GC and Resident Evil for it).

The Silent Assassin
04-03-2002, 09:58 PM
I've played it. I didn't like it. I did NOT think it looked super impressive visually. I still hate how VF has "ring out" and the levels are static (except the background).

The fighting scheme is realistic I guess, if you play normal settings. Fast battle, not a lot of life, no fantasy moves. However, I swear it feels like button mashing works, though experts would disagree with me.

Also, it is called "kumite".

MottZilla
04-03-2002, 11:54 PM
It looks "ok" but not that impressive. I'd rather play SFEX3, Tekken 4, or TTT.

DarkPanther
04-04-2002, 02:43 PM
I'm waiting for Tekken 4, even though I think Tekken Tag Tournament is still the most strategic, well-balanced, fighting game in existence right now.

AlexMax
04-04-2002, 03:48 PM
I dummo about you, but TTT is more of the "Button Masher" for me. And the whole game just feels like you can't ever execute moves exactly when you need them to be executed, like a lag of some sort.

I havn't played VF 4 yet, but I HAVE played VF 1, and if VF 4 kicks half the ass that VF 1 did, I'll be in heaven. (And yes, I have played TTT too.)

I still hate how VF has "ring out" and the levels are static (except the background).

They have addressed the ring out problem. Now the majority of the levels have walls, have been made larger, and the parts that do have ring out have made it less of a concern due to the wider levels. Not only that, but in some stages (the greek looking place), you can eventually demolish the edge of the ring, and if you hit the edge hard enough, you actually knock the stone structure away and fall out of the ring. No better way to finnish off an oponent IMHO.

And of COURSE you don't have superhuman powers. That would destroy the whole point of VF4. And the included training mode demonstrates almost EVERY 'special' move you need. No more looking up combinations on GameFags. ^_^

The Silent Assassin
04-04-2002, 08:17 PM
I want a game where you can go anywhere in the environment to fight, and is realistic. VF4 has the realistic fighting, but it needs interactivity like Power Stone.

AlexMax
04-04-2002, 08:46 PM
VF3 had that. It had an 'evade' button.

But according to the people who played it, it took something away from the game. So they took it out in VF4 and replaced it with a sidestep function.

DarkPanther
04-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
I dummo about you, but TTT is more of the "Button Masher" for me. And the whole game just feels like you can't ever execute moves exactly when you need them to be executed, like a lag of some sort.

There's a lot about TTT that a lot of people don't understand if they play it casually.

Some of TTT's moves allow you a "buffer" which can be greatly used to your advantage, but only if you know enough about the moves and plan your strategy far enough ahead in the fight. That may be the lag you're talking about. Otherwise, I have no idea, it's incredibly responsive to me.

Button Mashers are only effective against other casual players. I'll hand any button masher their arse on a platter. The only advantage they have against casual players is that any move can come out at any moment, so it seems. If you know the game though, you can tell what's going to happen before it does and you can counter, parry, or do w/e the heck you want really.

Mashers always pick people like Eddy. Eddy has cool moves that are based off of his two kick buttons. They think "Wow, I look like I know what I'm doing with this guy and I can win with him!". I remember one time I was in the 'cade, I picked Eddy and Paul as my team. When I picked Eddy, my competitor LAUGHED AT ME and said, "hahahaha, yeah I know how to play Eddy too" and he started mashing on his buttons. Well... I just smiled and the fight started and I utterly wasted him and laughed back in his face. He was like "Holy $#!+!!! I've never seen anyone that really knows how to USE him before! That was awesome!" So yeah... it's all in how well you know the game. *shrugs* I'm sure if I knew VF4 better, or liked the original, I'd be more in favor of it. I'm sure I'll rent it soon though. :)