PDA

View Full Version : Quest Blockbusting?

J.J. Maxx
04-03-2002, 05:32 PM
I noticed a trend recently of people who think of a good idea for a quest and start to make one and release a demo that may or may not suck and then thats it. Some people supposedly have like 5 quests they are working on and I was thinking to myself, whats to stop someone else from using one of those quest ideas himself?

I dunno, would people look down on someone for releasing or working on a quest that is being worked on by someone else?

I mean a recent AGN study shows that only 1 out of every 20 quests that are started turn into completed quests. So most of the time you can assume that most quests will never make it out of the demo phase. :shrug:

What do you guys think of this?

Teilyr
04-03-2002, 06:19 PM
It's conceivable that someone could work on a few different quests at once, and eventually merge them all into one quest... Though, it is a pity when you see a promising quest fizzle.

I suppose it's some unwritten rule that you just don't release someone else's quests without their permission, unless it's some sort of race. Not really sure though.. I'm pretty detached. *sneezes*
Oh yeah - Step away from the microphone. It's dangerous to talk that close to something electrical.

JayeM
04-03-2002, 07:08 PM
How about an Idea Bank where people can post ideas that they won't have time to work into quests and abandoned quests they don't plan on finishing? This could go in the QDB, ideas/quests could be marked as taken, then resubmitted if the new questmaker gets tired of them.

Blonde799
04-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Teilyr
It's conceivable that someone could work on a few different quests at once, and eventually merge them all into one quest... Though, it is a pity when you see a promising quest fizzle...

You were thinking about me when you said that, didn't you?:laughing: I have done just that an hour ago.

J.J. Maxx
04-03-2002, 07:31 PM
Actually I wasn't talking about specific quests.. Just ideas. For example... I know there is someone who is making a LOTR quest. Now what if I started making a LOTR quest? Would that not be good? Would I steal her thunder or what? Or what if I wanted to make a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy quest or something similar? I dunno if there are any unwritten rules of conduct for quest making..

JayeM
04-03-2002, 11:02 PM
I don't see that as a problem, they would be totally different quests. LOTR is popular right now, lots of people here love Hitchhiker, why not more than one quest about them? Looks how many quests we have about Zelda... :laughing: It's not like you were stealing their graphics or something. Go for it!

plith
04-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Ideas are a dime a dozen and you can't steal how well someone else presents that idea. So don't worry about it.

J.J. Maxx
04-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input! :thumbsup:

Besides, not like anyone has anything to worry about. Have *ever* finished *ANYTHING* I've started?*

*see Cyclone's Sig....

Cronic
04-04-2002, 02:34 AM
heh, all I have to say is if somone steals any of my ideas I'll know, and I won't care. Also feel free to ask me for any demo password. you can have whatever.

Raichu86
04-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Over time, I have started 6 quests.

1 has been released
1 is ALMOST finished
2 have been cancelled after demos
2 others have had no demos (yet)

The 3 that are left WILL be finished, I guarentee you that.

Kratheous
04-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by JayeM
How about an Idea Bank where people can post ideas that they won't have time to work into quests and abandoned quests they don't plan on finishing? This could go in the QDB, ideas/quests could be marked as taken, then resubmitted if the new questmaker gets tired of them.

Not a bad idea, Jaye...

The Silent Assassin
04-10-2002, 12:06 AM
The only quest I never finished was Bloodline, and that was due to limitations on ZQuest at the time.

What I am making now is sort of my vision of "bloodline" but spruced up a bit.