PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein Classic

texasdex
04-02-2002, 05:26 PM
How about this idea:
AGN's newest customizable game could be a remake of one of the first 3D shooters made for PC, Castle Wolfenstin

One of the reviews for it on downloads.com (it is listed as shareware) say that it is "A Classic that will never die"

No, I don't know who would make the program, and I myself have very little experience with heavy-duty programming. But I think that this would be easy to program, and even easier to make customized games for due to it's simple and flat (at least for a 3D shooter) gameplay.

So how about it?

vegeta1215
04-02-2002, 05:53 PM
That's what the fps mapping and mod community are around for, lol.

Serously though, it's not a bad idea, but there are alot of fps editors out there. I don't think they have one for Wolfenstein, but they have level editors for Doom and Quake, and people can change pretty much anything they want.

AlexMax
04-02-2002, 06:25 PM
I've ued a few editors for Wolf3D. It's really pretty simple. Have you ever noticed that there are no vertically aligned exit switches? That's because the sides of the elevator and the switch all use the same square type, and the square can only be 'activated' from the left and right.

But I think it only edited level 1. And I also overloaded it with too many eneimes on screen at a time so it crashed on me a few times.

And I think that you might be able to use TeD with Wolf3D.

Mander
04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Actually if you do a search you will probably find heaps of sites about editing levels for it. I know the source code was out there for awhile as I have got it somewhere. There was a club at yahoo for wolf3d. Don't know if it is still there. But there was a lot of people that were doing levels for it.

Daarkseid
04-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah, when I had Wolfenstein 3D for the MAC(had better graphics, sound, but enemies only faced one direction; towards you, unlike in the PC version where you can sneak up on enemies). There were actually 3 versions of Wolf3D on the mac, each called encounters. The 1st encounter was a shareware version of the 2nd encounter that contained the first 3 levels. The 2nd encounter was all 32 levels, each one after another. The 3rd encounter was like the PC version, in that it had 6 episodes, each with about 10 levels and a boss at the end of each episode.

I never had the 3rd encounter, which had some stuff the 2nd didn't. The level editors I'd use were pretty cool and VERY easy to work with. There is a reason why Wolf3D is considered to be more of a 2 and 1/4D game. For some reason though, certain features could only be added to 2nd encounter levels by using a utility and hacking the hex values of Wolf3D, so these features would work(usually features found in Wolf3D the third encounter).

Oh, and the mac version also had the two new weapons featured in the SNES version of Wolf3D, the Flame Thrower and Bazooka
which pretty much make boss killing a piece of cake.

I had lots of fun making new levels for Wolf3D until I started using PCs.

KingArthur
04-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Besides... we wouldnt want to run into any problems with Wolfenstein Advanced no would we?