PDA

View Full Version : THEORY: Final Fantasy Timeline

Elemental Knight
04-01-2002, 02:14 PM
All FFs have at least some relation, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that they could go in a timeline. FF7 and 8 would go sometime after 9, I believe, and FFTactics would probably go after every other FF game (You find places from lots of other FFs, such as the Temple of Fiends, and Cloud pops in from a Time Machine from the past). FFVI would probably go before 9, and 10 would be after 8. VI kinda sticks out from the timeline, but it came before 7 simply due to technology levels (FFVI: Steam. FFVII: Mako). III is before VI, because the Floating Island is still there (hell, that's where you start). I and II are fairly cronological, there's one person in FFII who refers to the Light Warriors and the ORBS (Guy tells her to shut up!). IV is after VI, because Airships are held by governments (some with democratic setup), and there's one government who's trying to become the next Gesthal Empire (Baron) - this might not be true, as you could say that Baron becomes The Empire after some struggle (If they can make Dar Knights, they can eventually make Magitek stuff). Five's just off on it's own, and I haven't played it, so I don't know where it goes into the timeline... Same with Mystic Quest.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6 -> 4 -> 9 -> 7 -> 8 -> 10 -> Tactics

NOTE: This is simply seat-of-the-pants speculation. This is barely based on fact, and I welcome all speculation on it possible. Hell, it's probably wrong, but it's a start.

Arcayn
04-01-2002, 02:43 PM
I believe the Final Fantasy games have nothing to do with each other. They are all set in seperate worlds/universes, with just a few references to the other FF games (like the moogles).

vegeta1215
04-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Arcayn
I believe the Final Fantasy games have nothing to do with each other. They are all set in seperate worlds/universes, with just a few references to the other FF games (like the moogles).

Yep, I thnk so too. Besides, how many times can the continents shift and the world almost come to an end in the middle ages anyways? lol

One thing is true, making the FF series sound like sequels have made it easy on the creators: no need for a special title! Just slap another number on there!

Mak-X
04-01-2002, 04:14 PM
None of the Final Fantasy games have anything to do with each other except the same basic gamplay and formula with similar themes. They are sequels because they all follow the same basic gamplay and formula with similar themes.

Back in middle school we used to think about how the Final Fantasy games are related to each other. Some thoughts were FF3 (SNES) happens after FF2 (SNES) because the Ancient Castle underneath Figaro Castle is really Baron from Final Fantasy 2 because it has Odin and I remember fighting Odin in FF2 and he was disguised as the King in a basement.
Also Final Fantasy 6 is related to Chrono Trigger in that they both have Triangle island! The island is in the same place in both games and looks like a Triangle. There's even mountains for where a cave should be iN FF6!

MasterSwordUltima
04-01-2002, 04:30 PM
I for one beleive that they are all related. So what if the planets keep changing! Some big thing happens at the end of all of them, that ususally kills just about everyone but the main characters! So they would end up restarting the population, and by the time the planet is populated again, the continents would have definatly moved, and some races like moogles and chocobos would still live. Even though the stories aren't in order, they do form an order!

MottZilla
04-01-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty sure none of them are related, only certain things are in more than one game. Like monsters, chocbos, etc. I think an FFVI sequel or FFIV sequel would be cool though.

Menokh
04-01-2002, 06:31 PM
In FF9 near the end it is all explained. Each final fantasy game takes place in an alternate universe, none of them are in the same one. The crystal links them all together, and if the crystal is destroyed than so is all the FF universes. Hence the reason for saving the crystal. Or at least thats what I got from the final part of FF9.

I also think that Final Fantasy Tactics is more directly linked with FF7, due to the fact that Cloud is a secret character in Tactics.

Masamune
04-01-2002, 06:50 PM
FF9 came after FF7. if you go into that weopon shop in lindblum and look at the cloud's buster sword on the wall, Zidane will say something like "i think i remember a spikey haired guy having a sword like this...."

Menokh
04-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
FF9 came after FF7. if you go into that weopon shop in lindblum and look at the cloud's buster sword on the wall, Zidane will say something like "i think i remember a spikey haired guy having a sword like this...."

Thats most likely an inside joke, that only FF fans will understand. I doubt that means anything(unless Zidane had contact with the crystal while still in Terra).

Daarkseid
04-01-2002, 08:26 PM
There is some speculation though, that Final Fantasy XII might be a direct sequel(storywise) to Final Fantasy X. This comes from a 30 minute Epilogue sequence you can view on a seperate disc that is sold with the International Edition of the Final Fantasy X(sold only in Japan, it has the Japanese text with the English voice actors). The movie basically tells how the characters, a year after the events in Final Fantasy X, go on another possible adventure to save one of their friends lost in Final Fantasy X, after learning he may possibly be alive.

Most of the Final Fantasy games pretty much tie up all loose ends in the end, but this ending tack-on opens up the possibility of another videogame adventure starring the characters from Final Fantasy X.

mrz84
04-02-2002, 06:07 AM
hmm, so many theories so little time. i for one have no real care about them being related in storyilne al though it makes it a little cooler. :kawaii: