PDA

View Full Version : Help with using Forms

Toolie
03-31-2002, 03:14 PM
First off let me note that the Web Development and whatnot forums are quite obsolete, and I need a maximum amount of help on this. And this is General Discussion, so it goes here.

I need a detailed explanation, and possibly an example on how to make a form where people provide information, and then it is stored to a file on my server, which I can access and view.

My server has CGI/Perl enabled too, which I'm sure plays in here.

cyberkitten
03-31-2002, 03:52 PM
how familiar are you with basic html forms? and do you have a preferred format for your forms? .asp forms are fairly easy (imo) but they require some sort of database to store the form data in. or are you really set on a .cgi form?

Toolie
03-31-2002, 06:44 PM
i dont know or care i just need input data stored to a file or emailed to me with as little intrusion as possible

please show me with an example or explain how.... its kinda urgent

goKi
03-31-2002, 07:39 PM
search for mail forms on a search engine, find a good one, and rip the code, then build on it. thats how i learnt most of the html i know.

cyberkitten
03-31-2002, 09:09 PM
the information will come to you in an email in plain text:

<html>
<body>
<form method="post" action="mailto:[email protected]" name="tooliesform">
<br>
<font face="Arial,Helvetica"><b>Your Name: </b></font>
<input type="text" name="yourname" size="30">
<br>
<font face="Arial,Helvetica"><b>Your Age: </b></font>
<input type="text" name="age" size="3">
<br>
<input type="submit">
<input type="reset">
</form>
</body>
</html>

when you receive your email, it will look something like this:

input submitted from form "tooliesform" on 03/31/02

yourname=<data from form here>
age=<data from form here>

if you play around with it a bit, you should be able to get it to do what you want. if you have other questions, i should be around in the chat for awhile and i'll check back here as well.

Paradox
03-31-2002, 09:33 PM
oo what server do you have, i;ve been looking for a free ISP with cgi support but can't find one? who hosts your site?

Rainman
04-01-2002, 01:08 AM
He doesn't have a free host. He has a payed one.

Hermit
04-01-2002, 08:22 AM
There are no free hosts with cgi support or any support other than basic html web page building.

Toolie
04-01-2002, 09:27 AM
CK, that's what I currently have.... but it pops up a security warning message, has to use outlook ( which not everyone uses ).

If you could help me out with this it would be great :)