PDA

View Full Version : What if you could make a game?

Mak-X
03-31-2002, 02:11 AM
What if you could make a game? What kind of game would it be? How would it play? Would it be a turn-based RPG, or a all action shooter? How would the story involve the characters the player controls? Would the game be original, or build on existing ideas? When would the game be complete? Would you settle for what you can do in a deadline, or would you push for a game truely worth buying? What would you do differently than others? What kind of game would you want to make?

(yup, that's right the sleep is kicking in for me)

Fiyerstorm
03-31-2002, 04:03 AM
I would make a 3D fighting game using the Tekken engine. It would have a fighter editor too. For GCN only tho! Heheheh...

Menokh
03-31-2002, 04:34 AM
It would be an action RPG, with a battle system similar to Secret of Mana.
And it would be a 3/4 overhead perspective.

anf fuck deadlines. If a game is delayed it might get better.

inori
03-31-2002, 05:47 AM
I am making a game (when I have free time, which is seldom enough...). It's a side-scrolling space shooter, kind of like Gradius. But I only took it up to learn DirectX - I really want to make RPGs. If only I had the time, and creative skills (there's a lot more content creation involved for RPGs than for shooting games, obviously).

I'm not into game-making to make money. It's fun. So deadlines, saleability, etc. are irrelevant. If I like making my game, then the purpose is served. If other people like playing, so much the better.

Duran
03-31-2002, 07:57 AM
I would make a RPG with semi crappy graphics compared to todays, why? so I can make the game like 300 hours long massive gameplay, real time battles like in tales of phantasia/destiny and star ocean.

Hermit
03-31-2002, 09:02 AM
I'd make a highly cinematic style RPG, similiar in style to the fight scenes on Shining Force, not so much strategy, but more turn-based ala Final Fantasy. Spells, Items, Armor, Weapons, and characters galore. Some seriously awesome introduction and ending cartoon, much the style of Lunar as well.

slothman
03-31-2002, 09:07 AM
I'd probably make a game a combo of civilization and simcity/life/earth... It would be turn based but allow for lots of variations. Of course I would also make (and am making) a remake of zelda 2.

Overlord
03-31-2002, 09:21 AM
I would make a traditional turn based RPG. With an epic storyline, and unique facets to it. I actually have the framework in writing, and on paper, just don't have the skill to program it. Ultimately, I'd develop it for GCN and it'd have awesome cut scenes to rival FF, and would give square a run for their money.. because.. I know what the fans like! ;)

Dragon Omega
03-31-2002, 10:48 AM
Well, of course I would make an RPG. FF style. Cinematic scenes to get more people to play it. Imaginative storyline and thrilling characters to add to the mix.

Actually, I have plenty of ideas, and even wrote down their storylines. The problem is I can't program...:mischief:

Skatche
03-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by inori
(there's a lot more content creation involved for RPGs than for shooting games, obviously).

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I think the reason people believe that is because in, say, FPSes, the game can be unbalanced and still be enjoyable. If the enemies are too easy, you can add more and the player blasts through them. If they're too hard, it will attract hardcore gamers looking for a good challenge. In RPGs, although you can strategize, a lot is left to the stats; if the enemies are too hard, you die, and if they're too easy, you get bored really fast. But to really balance an FPS well takes just as much talent and work as balancing an RPG.

Anyway, I have a lot of game ideas... probably I'd make a Roguelike, but maybe not. What I'd really like is to make a game that doesn't use any of today's conventional genres...

Masamune
03-31-2002, 11:59 AM
a giant VR game where you get hooked up to a bunch of wires and a VR suit. you infiltrate a terrorist base and when you get shot you feel pain but not death. you get a large variety of guns of course.:mischief:

slothman
03-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
a giant VR game where you get hooked up to a bunch of wires and a VR suit. you infiltrate a terrorist base and when you get shot you feel pain but not death. you get a large variety of guns of course.:mischief:

That game would probably be easier doing with some kind of paintball game but have a suit which zaps you when hit by paint.

mrz84
03-31-2002, 02:07 PM
hmmm..... id make an rpg similar to tactics ogre. with some spiffy anime scenes liek in mmx4-6. the cast would include at the very least, an idiot, a smart-ass, a egotistic guy/girl, and some guy who goes through a crisis. :kawaii:

MrCow
03-31-2002, 02:43 PM
I'd make an rpg like SoM and SoE and incorperate zelda fetures into it too.

I'd have some what of a matrix type storyline but cooler. IT WOULD BE THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatty Lumpkin
03-31-2002, 04:09 PM
I'd make a FPS-adventure game with RTS and RPG aspects. Did I mention it's a jet sim?

Actually, I'd re-do FF7 and 8 with Star Ocean 2-type sd graphics. With the games' cut scenes intact.