PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147

Dark Nation
03-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Took long enough, huh?

What's new/fixed in this version:

1. Finally completed the quest template system. I like it, at least. :shrug: A new option under the File menu is Quest Templates. This is where you set up your quest templates. These are exported .zqt files. Then, when you select New from the file menu, you can pick what template to start from. The defaults menu will use whatever template you set, as the template filename is saved with the quest now. If you rename the quest template filename, then load a quest that used it, the default menus will fail until you point the quest back to a valid template file. How do you do that? With the template menu in the Quest menu. This is also how you set up a quest template for an older quest you may have. Whether or not a quest has a quest template (valid or otherwise) associated with it has no bearing at all on gameplay.
2. Fixed the bug where if you had a dmap intro string set and had a guy there with a string and you walked into the room, both would start showing up at the same time. Now, the DMap intro shows up, vanishes after a moment, then the guy string shows up.
3. Fixed the bug where a DMap intro string might show up twice.
4. Fixed the bug in ZQuest where the F12 key would turn the vertical flip bit on.
5. Added string linking. Now, when you edit strings, you can hit a check box to make the string linked to the next string. Then, when you play, after the first string shows up, the a short delay occurs. After that, you hit a button and the second one shows up.
6. Fixed and tested the expanded strings. Set up a string in slot 259. Worked for both the room string and the pay for info strings.
7. Fixed problem with some text being garbled (the triangle indicators showing you have more than 3 saved games, the copy indicator for the enemy screen, and the Paused and frames per second indicators, for example).
8. Removed the feature where tiles would not be saved if you were using the default tileset. While it makes quests larger for original-style ones where you don't edit any tiles, it makes things easier on my end. Plus, it makes it where you don't have to edit a tile just to get the MapMaker to work right.

FatCatFan, let me know when you get back and I'll send you all the important information about the new file format.

I'm thinking of going ahead and starting work on combo revamping. When completed, this will eliminate combo pages entirely. I could even double the number of available combos.

Or, I could hold off on that for another beta or two. Maybe add a few new minor features, like the trigger events that Jigglysaint mentioned or the frame for messages that I had talked about.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that the bug that previously was corrupting quests that had exactly 256 combos is still around. I think it's a roaming bug, though, so something else may trigger it now. You might want to turn on the auto-backup feature.

Anyway, here are the files:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 for DOS (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zc192b147d.exe)
+zelda.exe
+zquest.exe

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 for Windows (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zc192b147w.exe)
+zelda-w.exe
+zquest-w.exe

Here's the new support archives:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147+ Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zc192b147s.exe)
+1st.qst
+2nd.qst
+3rd.qst
+new enemy tiles.pdf
+new.til
+newfirst-fixed.qst
+zelda.dat
+zgp.dat
+zquest.dat

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 144+ Windows Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b144/zc192b144ws.exe)
+alleg40.dll

If you already have the beta 144+ support archive, just download these two files:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 NewDefault patch (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zgp.dat)
+zgp.dat

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 147 Game Engine Datafile patch (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b147/zelda.dat)
+zelda.dat

KJAZZ
03-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Added string linking. About 75% done. Now, when you edit strings, you can hit a check box to make the string linked to the next string. Then, when you play, after the first string shows up, the a short delay occurs. After that, you hit a button and the second one shows up.

75% done? Eh? :D

I'm thinking of going ahead and starting work on combo revamping. When completed, this will eliminate combo pages entirely. I could even double the number of available combos.

Or, I could hold off on that for another beta or two. Maybe add a few new minor features, like the trigger events that Jigglysaint mentioned or the frame for messages that I had talked about.

Thoughts?

The frame sounds great, we can put text on light backgrounds, like for make believe signs, and for caves that have a light Background..the combo page thing sounds great as well!

EDIT: Small suggestions, huh? Heres one:

How about for the new trigger stuff, a screen flag that makes it when the secret combos on a screen activate, shutters open. You can make it so you step on a switch (trigger temp/perm), light a torch (burn combos), or shoot an arrow, or much more! This will make the trigger flags a LOT more useful in dungeons..

PrinceMSC
03-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dark Nation

Thoughts?[/B]

Do them ALL!!!
And I really, REALLY, don't want combo pages anymore. DN, you make me so happy when you post things like this. Do you feel the same way I do about you?:love:

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Nightmare
03-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Strings work well DN. Now fix the setting keys for the Windows version, I've been waiting patiently.

Also, add an indicator for "more".

One more suggestion, might want to put a link to "any" string if possible.

-NJS-

Jigglysaint
03-30-2002, 07:01 PM
I do suggest going after the things I suggested, and going after the text boxes. Also, I need to check, but can you still select the string colour, right?

bigjoe
03-30-2002, 07:13 PM
dont forget to add the indicator

by the way , on the subject of strings could you maybe add like a color changer thing?

Like if the persom types IT IS %03DANGEROUS %01TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS (in the default pallete)

it would appear
IT IS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS

Warlock
03-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I'd like to see tile-based fonts for the text.. so you could say, make LTTP style text or something :)

KJAZZ
03-30-2002, 08:27 PM
I played a quest, and the screen where you pick your quest changed into the stuff from that quest (hearts, border, etc..) and sometimes it changes, sometimes not. Is this a new feature? And if so, how does it work?

Warlock
03-30-2002, 08:46 PM
For some reason the controls were all messed up for me.. I don't know how long it's been this way as I havn't been playin lately, but even though it said "Up, Down, etc" for the controls, they didn't work. When I re-did the values, it displayed completely different characters than I selected.. for example, if I pressed "Up" it might have displayed an "X".. although the controls worked after I did this.. Joystick didn't work at all tho :(

Dark Nation
03-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by KJAZZ
75% done? Eh? :D

Aw, cut me some slack, KJAZZ. :blah: I just copied and pasted the progress report and made some changes. Just missed one. Fixed now, though. :)

Originally posted by PrinceMSC
DN, you make me so happy when you post things like this. Do you feel the same way I do about you?:love:

You scare me, PrinceMSC.

Originally posted by Nightmare
[BStrings work well DN. Now fix the setting keys for the Windows version, I've been waiting patiently.

Also, add an indicator for "more".

One more suggestion, might want to put a link to "any" string if possible.

[/B]

That's a good idea (about the link to any string). Okay, people, don't make quests using the linking feature, people. I'm gonna change it so you select the string it's linked to instead of always linking to the next string.

And I'll look into fixing the key problem. Also, if you've already read the first post of the thread, notice I just added two other things I forgot earlier (#7 & #8).

Jigglysaint
03-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I found palette bug, in Windows. If you change the number, at least in the red, the number allways remains at 31. Try it, maybe it's only on one pallete, one c-set, and two parts. I tried this on palette 3.

KJAZZ
03-31-2002, 01:05 AM
Aw, cut me some slack, KJAZZ. :blah: I just copied and pasted the progress report and made some changes. Just missed one. Fixed now, though. :)

Okay, but only because I'm so nice. :D

You scare me, PrinceMSC.
He scares me sometimes too, going on his wifes AIM account, pretending he is his wife.. :eek:

That's a good idea (about the link to any string). Okay, people, don't make quests using the linking feature, people. I'm gonna change it so you select the string it's linked to instead of always linking to the next string.

Aww man, I just set up a whole bunch of them. Oh well. As mentioned above, don't forget the indicator. Maybe a flashing button, or an arrow..HEY! Heres an idea. Make the flashing thing changable, in Weapons/Misc. It could be called "Text Indicator" or something. It would go after the text automatically if it was extended. That's a good idea, then we could put what we wanted....personally I'm going to put a dancing link at the end if this is implemented. :D

Dark Dude
03-31-2002, 01:12 AM
Aww man, I just set up a whole bunch of them. Oh well. As mentioned above, don't forget the indicator. Maybe a flashing button, or an arrow..HEY! Heres an idea. Make the flashing thing changable, in Weapons/Misc. It could be called "Text Indicator" or something. It would go after the text automatically if it was extended. That's a good idea, then we could put what we wanted....personally I'm going to put a dancing link at the end if this is implemented. :D Why not just make it a little 8x8 symbol like the hearts, bombs, keys, etc.?

KJAZZ
03-31-2002, 01:24 AM
NNNNNNNOOOO!!!111

I must have the dancing linK!!!!111

No, I don't think so, because we might want it to blink..

Dark Dude
03-31-2002, 02:06 AM
NNNNNNNOOOO!!!111

I must have the dancing linK!!!!111

No, I don't think so, because we might want it to blink.. Well that's just too f'n bad. If you're going to make it blink, why not make the bombs, keys, icon for the Continue, Save, Quit screen animate, too?

Overlord
03-31-2002, 04:42 AM
Hmm.. how long exactly should the Combo revamping and bug shooting take? (Is thinking of version 2.0)

If it takes as long as the quest templates, that is ok, it'll be a wirthy addition, but if it takes longer I'd say no. Finish up and release soon. Please the public then you can get to work on 2.05 or something.

Also, the message triggers are a must. They would allow signs and stuff to be set up easily.

PrinceMSC
03-31-2002, 06:06 AM
He scares me sometimes too, going on his wifes AIM account, pretending he is his wife.. :eek:

It started out with her talking to Cyclone when I came home from work. Cyclone wanted to ask me something so I got on and started talking with him. Just so happend you came on why that was going on. I wasn't trying to fool ya.:laughing:

KJAZZ
03-31-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by PrinceMSC

It started out with her talking to Cyclone when I came home from work. Cyclone wanted to ask me something so I got on and started talking with him. Just so happend you came on why that was going on. I wasn't trying to fool ya.:laughing:

Suuuuuure....:D

I played a quest, and the screen where you pick your quest changed into the stuff from that quest (hearts, border, etc..) and sometimes it changes, sometimes not. Is this a new feature? And if so, how does it work?

Umm, DN? An explanation, please? I can show you a screenshot if you wish..