PDA

View Full Version : Queen Mother Dies

Paradox
03-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Britain's 101 year old queen mother died in the last few hours...
see the story here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20020330/ts_nm/britain_queenmother_dc_11)

Jigglysaint
03-30-2002, 07:09 PM
That was fast(the post, not her passing}.

I don't know, I really don't mind her dying. I'm all for natural death, really. I'm sure she lived a good life, wasn't one of those figures that people care too much about(like a cetain princess that shall remain nameless). I hope she has fun in the afterlife.

DragonCommander
03-30-2002, 07:15 PM
I don't mean to sound patronising, Jiggly, but be careful what you say. Some Brits on AGN (not me, fortunately) are probably deeply upset by the passing of the Queen Mother.
Admittedly, it was quick. I get the feeling this topic will die in a similar fashion to the Queen Mother herself.

Jigglysaint
03-30-2002, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry, I do care, somewhat(since I'm not as attached to her as other people might be). For me, I believe that after death, that person's spirit lives on. I'm sorry to seeanybody go, but on the other hand, I'm glad she lived so long. I didn't know much about her, unfortunatly.

Anyway, sorry that I seem to be a bit unemotional, but in reality, the only people that I ever cared about who died were my grandparents. I have only been to 3 funerals, that's all.

I morun in a different way than most people do. Instead of lamenting for my loss, I think about how happ that person(especially if they were ailing) will be now that their pain is gone.

One bummer, the Queen Mum can't hit the sauce anymore. Man, I heard that she liked here booze! Sorry if I'm a little dry, even inaproperate, but I do feel the loss, and later on at night, in bed, I will finally come to grips of the event that just happened.

retro_crono
03-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Oh well, shame tis. Well, kinda, it's not as if she ever did anything. But hang on, it's not as if any of the royal family ever do anything (besides sell stories to the media). :rolleyes:

Hermit
03-30-2002, 07:56 PM
This thread could turn ugly....

Toolie
03-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Great, now lets wait for the entire royal family to die and convert those damn red coats away from their pseudo-monarchy.

slothman
03-30-2002, 10:27 PM
This reminds me of the movie "King Ralph". At the begining all the royal family of some wierd country die in a freak accident.
Anywhich, I generally don't mind people dying. I'm don't specifically like it but I just have no feelings either way.

satanman
03-31-2002, 08:06 AM
This thread will probably turn into a big 'for-against monarchy' arguement, which I guess is what hermit meant.

There's less to be sad about for her death than most other peoples, I mean, she was 101, she had to go sooner or later.

At least they didn't cancel anything good on TV for the news about her death, but do they have to repeat it on all terrestrial channels all the time?

Jemsee
03-31-2002, 09:46 AM
http://invis.free.anonymiser.com/http://www.geocities.com/idowindows_gary/queenmother.jpg
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother 1900 - 2002

From the BBC America:
"The Queen Mother has died peacefully in her sleep at the age of 101, with her daughter at her bedside.
She passed away at Royal Lodge, Windsor, at 1515 GMT on Saturday, and the news was announced by Buckingham Palace about two and a half hours later.
It came six weeks after her last public appearance, at the funeral of her daughter Princess Margaret."

To live so long and then die in your sleep. Everyone should be so lucky.
And to out live your children has got to be the hardest thing a parent, regardless of station, has got to do.
She has probably seen and done more stuff than all AGN members combined.
England has lost someone special today. I will mourn there loss.

Dragon Omega
03-31-2002, 11:23 AM
I don't care if she died. However, I still believe that her passing must be honored.:mischief:

Predcon1
03-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Odd. She looks no older than 80 something in her photos.

Toolie
03-31-2002, 03:22 PM
Damn people are starting to live too long...

Paradox
03-31-2002, 03:57 PM
yeah when you become old lets see if you think you've lived "too long"

obi
03-31-2002, 05:02 PM
The queen Mum was Britains Grandmother.
People may have joked many but this is one woman who has spanned the twntieth centuary, Leave it be.

SiliconHero
03-31-2002, 06:31 PM
I was a bit more saddened when I first heard about Princess Diana's car accident (this was almost five years ago)...it happened at around midnight (my time), after MAD TV had gone off the air for the evening... THAT was a shock.

This is a little less shocking, considering the Queen Mum's, er, "heightened age" (trying to put it respectfully here)...but at least she lived through an entire century... Who besides the late entertainer George Burns can brag about that?

*bows head in silence*

Predcon1
03-31-2002, 07:43 PM
It seems like all the Great Powers have suffered great losses recently. The US and our WTC, and now Great Britain and their Queen Mother. I for one am saddened by her death. I mean, she was one of the few monarchs that treated us Irishmen as Englishmen, not as inferior slave-types.

My condolances to all the British AGNers