PDA

View Full Version : Beta 147 Progress

Dark Nation
03-29-2002, 06:02 PM
1. Finally completed the quest template system. I like it, at least. :shrug:
2. Fixed the bug where if you had a dmap intro string set and had a guy there with a string and you walked into the room, both would start showing up at the same time. Now, the DMap intro shows up, vanishes after a moment, then the guy string shows up.
3. Fixed the bug where a DMap intro string might show up twice.
4. Fixed the bug in ZQuest where the F12 key would turn the vertical flip bit on.
5. Began work on string linking. About 75% done. Now, when you edit strings, you can hit a check box to make the string linked to the next string. Then, when you play, after the first string shows up, the second one shows up. All I have to do is add a small delay between them, force the player to hit a button between the messages, and maybe set some kind of indicator that you need to press a key.

Sorry it's taking so long with this one; the quest template stuff was a lot harder than I had previously thought. But it's a very elegant system now (at least, a lot more so than it started off as). The next thing I am thinking about adding is message boxes. These will, when you set them (in map styles, like with the map and triforce frame) show up behind messages. Old quests will automatically default to tile 0, which will make no frame show up.

Thoughts? Small suggestions? I should be able to get a beta out tomorrow afternoon. Possibly tonight, but I doubt it (payday and I have to go grocery shopping).

JayeM
03-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Wow, #5 will make a lot of people happy. I'm assuming you can link several strings together--no more cumbersome warping to different screens for a long intro or storyline segment.

Yes, the quest template system was an ambitious project, I figured that was the cause of the delay. Are these the last innovations before the release, or is there more on your agenda?

Cronic
03-29-2002, 06:43 PM

GAH! Hehe I just spent a lot of time organizing a 49 screen intro... MAn will people like this one :D

KJAZZ
03-29-2002, 07:32 PM
You just made my day even better. No problem about the wait, this string linking makes it all worth it! :D

Nightmare
03-29-2002, 08:16 PM
Sounds cool.

Hey DN, going to fix the Windows Keyboard Mapping anytime soon?

-NJS-

Cyclone
03-29-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Dark Nation
Fixed the bug where a DMap intro string might show up twice.

Is this like, say, in Golden Seal (Cloral's), when you leave his cave dMap for a dungeon portion, and return to the dMap for another dMap intro? And like my leaving an overworld cave (at the start of my group quest) and seeing the overworld intro again?

5. Began work on string linking. About 75% done. Now, when you edit strings, you can hit a check box to make the string linked to the next string. Then, when you play, after the first string shows up, the second one shows up. All I have to do is add a small delay between them, force the player to hit a button between the messages, and maybe set some kind of indicator that you need to press a key.

I'm sure some quests could then use a makeover with this. ;)

I anxiously await.

Cyclone
[email protected]

PrinceMSC
03-29-2002, 09:10 PM
I can't wait to check out the number 5 update. I'm so happy you have implemented this. DN, have I told you lately, I love you? Well I do.:D

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Kratheous
03-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by PrinceMSC
I can't wait to check out the number 5 update. I'm so happy you have implanted this. DN, have I told you lately, I love you? Well I do.:D

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

LOL! Me too! :heart: :tongue: NEways. Cool stuff, DN. Can't wait... ^_^

Overlord
03-29-2002, 11:48 PM
Yes, definitely a worthy addition ;) And message boxes are a good idea, all we need now is a new font system like LTTP has and the message stuff is done.

Orion
03-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Are you still gonna add the custom fonts? It would go great if you're working on text boxes (and I have the LTTP font if you want it). Also, is there any chance signs might be worked into this? I can't wait to see these new things. They will make a lot of people happy.

Chronos
03-30-2002, 12:02 AM
This is great!

So this is why you added more space for strings! :D

But for a question...

Is there a limit on how many templates that can be put into the load template thing?

Cronic
03-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Orion
Are you still gonna add the custom fonts? It would go great if you're working on text boxes (and I have the LTTP font if you want it). Also, is there any chance signs might be worked into this? I can't wait to see these new things. They will make a lot of people happy.

Perhaps a string trigger flag?

KJAZZ
03-30-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic

Perhaps a string trigger flag?

Sayyy.....thats not a bad idea for how signs AND people could work. You walk up and step on it, and it shows a string, then if it is continuous, you read it all, then when you are done you press the key and you can walk away. Sounds really cool...:D

Maybe when DN implements people that walk around (not saying soon, but an idea) he can use flags, and you could set sprites for them..or...I dunno, I just wanna see this in action! :D

Jigglysaint
03-30-2002, 01:17 PM
I've suggested this in the past, but I really think it would be good. How about a quest rule to disable the invisible barrier that is set up when you put a guy in the room. This would be good because then, you can enter the room from anywhere, not just below a certain point. This would also allow any item related event to be placed anywhere, like a boss key. The other option is to have a flag that destroys the trigger enemy when an item is gotten. After the template, concentrate on making the guys much better. Also, how about making branched strings? What would happen would be this: There is a check on a particular string in which it allows the next string to have two choices. If you press the "a" button, you are shown the next string in the lineup. If "b" is pressed, you go to the string that is linked normally. This might be doable, I think.

Cyclone
03-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
I've suggested this in the past, but I really think it would be good. How about a quest rule to disable the invisible barrier that is set up when you put a guy in the room. This would be good because then, you can enter the room from anywhere, not just below a certain point. This would also allow any item related event to be placed anywhere, like a boss key. The other option is to have a flag that destroys the trigger enemy when an item is gotten. After the template, concentrate on making the guys much better. Also, how about making branched strings? What would happen would be this: There is a check on a particular string in which it allows the next string to have two choices. If you press the "a" button, you are shown the next string in the lineup. If "b" is pressed, you go to the string that is linked normally. This might be doable, I think.

Yes, we NEED this. And maybe a screen flag to *gasp* remove fires from string screens, as well; this would avoid having to get rid of flames on every single screen, when they are sometimes wanted. :drool:

We could use a few more guy slots, too, mayhaps, for some quest variety.

Cyclone
[email protected]

KJAZZ
03-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone

Yes, please. The ability to change them would be nice. I know you can work around this, but the ability in Zquest would be great. Maybe similiar to how the newdefault works? :shrug:

VEL
03-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone

Yes, we NEED this. And maybe a screen flag to *gasp* remove fires from string screens, as well; this would avoid having to get rid of flames on every single screen, when they are sometimes wanted. :drool:

Cyclone
[email protected]

A screen flag to get rid of the fires in zelda's room would be cool too.