PDA

View Full Version : Oracle Zelda manga and storyline

Mak-X
03-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Argh, just when I was about to believe a 1 Link theory I come across this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1526421601

"Link begins his story living with his grandparents on a farm on the outskirts of Hyrule. A descendent of a long line of royal knights [which his grandfather often reminds about], Link is more interested in adventure than knightliness, but goes to the castle to take the Knight's Test anyway. Whereupon he stumbles around and comes across the Triforce, that suddenly zaps him to the faroff land of Holodrum."

While the Manga isn't the official story of the games, this is the official manga. This suggests that either the Oracle games are a seperate series in a alternate universe or there is more than 1 Link...A Oracle of Ages manga description says Link has to go back in time to protect his ancestor and make sure he exists.

"Link has since journeyed from Holodrum at Impa's request to the land of Labrynna, to find the priestess named Nayru. The evil Twinrova have summoned up Veran, who can possess other people's bodies, who takes over Nayru's body and sends herself back into the past to cut Link off at his ancestral roots"

Link and his ancestor
http://jey.shutuphippie.net/zelda/OoA-levan.jpg

That aside, I think I need to bid for a few of these manga books because I've been wanting to get them. Just ashame they're in Japanese.

Speaking of Oracle Zeldas, I still have 1 more dungeon in Ages to finish...I just haven't been in the mood to play these Oracle Zelda games.

Daarkseid
03-29-2002, 01:13 AM
I had already lost faith in Nintendo's desire for a continuous Zelda plot with Oot. Before then, I had figured that the Zelda series went in this order: A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: Adventure of Link.

But I couldn't quite figure out where Ocarina of Time fit in...

I think where Nintendo is concerned, Miyamoto desires a Zelda game more with good gameplay and an emphasis on exploration, than a good plot.

mrz84
03-29-2002, 01:22 AM
i think itd be nice to read that in english. it would most likely be interesting. :kawaii:

Mak-X
03-29-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
But I couldn't quite figure out where Ocarina of Time fit in...

I think where Nintendo is concerned, Miyamoto desires a Zelda game more with good gameplay and an emphasis on exploration, than a good plot.

Well...Ocarina of Time goes at the beginning because that's how the mess all started. Then Majora's Mask of course, but then the events afterwards that lead to the other games is unknown. The original games were never made to follow a complete story like Ocarina of Time (Zelda 1 has a simple plot though). A lot of the problem is the translation mistakes, I don't think "A Link to the Past" should even be called that, "Triforce of the Gods" is more accurate. The only time travel/past stuff in the game is the brief background which became Ocarina of Time. I think they got that title from saying Zelda 3 is about Link's and Zelda's ancestors, who are also named Link and Zelda. Dan Owsen who helped translate it even said the guide and back of the box that said the whole ancestor thing was wrong. I remember the A Link to the Past manual even says something like "and so begins yet another adventure for the legendary hero". I'd really like to see that Triforce of the Gods manual where TSA says it talks about "past adventures".

Miyamoto has been quoted as saying Zelda 3: A Link to the Past comes after Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. How Ganon comes back again and again is unknown besides sacrificing Link and whatever happens in the Oracle games. The main thing is the Triforce...the Triforce is restored in Zelda 2, so it would make sense that it is now whole in A Link to the Past. I mean, at what point did the whole Triforce split, get back together, and split again?

There's no way Link's Awakening is during Zelda 2, unless they're going to come out with a remake and change the raft to a Sail Ship. Not only that, but that's just stupid, that Link would go through the whole Kohilint Island ordeal before reaching the western contenient. That and the whole crap about "retrieving" crystals from the Palaces in Zelda 2 and going after a wizard that fled to the Great Palace just stupid.

The Silent Assassin
03-29-2002, 01:44 AM
I am very up to date on the Japanese Storyline, since I regard it as the true one.

Yes, there ARE multiple Links...

Warlock
03-29-2002, 01:52 AM
The two oracle games occur after Majora's Mask. I have some evidence to back it up (I won't mention it all, but some).. a couple things:

1.) Link has Epona.. Epona is only seen in OoT/MM
2.) Link is about 14/15.. maybe 16 (look at the concept art, he is obviously young, but not kid link from OoT). If you think about it, he is about 7 or 8 in OoT (young link), and then I'm sure he's a year or so older in MM. These games take place several years after Majora's Mask in his teenage years..
3.) General OoT/MM references such as characters and enemies (of course this is partly due to the series' natural progression and reusing new ideas, but obviously you are not going to see some of the same characters from MM/OoT at a much later date - for example the Mayor or the Carpenters.. Talon, Malon and Ingo.. these are all alternate dimensional versions of the other characters.. ).
4.) Ganon isn't "dead".. he is just trapped in the Dark World. Link kills Ganon in LTTP and Zelda 1. The only time he "traps" him is in OoT..

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.. I think there was more.. my guess on the triforces is that somehow they got them by trapping Ganon, although it doesn't really make sense if he has them in the Dark World in LTTP. (the whole triforce in Hyrule Castle thing really makes more sense after LTTP but there is no way this is after that game).

Mak-X
03-29-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Warlock
2.) Link is about 14/15.. maybe 16 (look at the concept art, he is obviously young, but not kid link from OoT). If you think about it, he is about 7 or 8 in OoT (young link), and then I'm sure he's a year or so older in MM. These games take place several years after Majora's Mask in his teenage years..

Link is 10 years old in Ocarina of Time (Young Link). When he goes into the future 7 years, he's 17 (Adult Link).

Link seems young to me in the Oracle games. He's at least as old as he is in Majora's Mask if not a few years old. Majora's Mask takes place a few months after Ocarina of Time's ending.

So are Holodrum and Lybrnna a alternate world like Termina? If so that makes a lot of sense. Has anyone taken a look at the artwork for all the characters in the game? Except for Link, Zelda, Impa, and the Oracles, none of the characters are Hylian/Hyrulian. They're all human with round human ears which messes stuff up even more.

Warlock
03-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Yes, 10, that's right..

He seems older.. at least by a few years..

http://www.zeldapower.com/images/artwork/linkyoung.jpg http://www.thegia.com/n64/gaiden/art1/link.jpg http://www.thegia.com/gb/acorn/art2/link.gif

I suppose they do look very similar, but the Oracles CA seem a bit more deformed to make him appear smaller.. I don't know, he just seems to be slightly older, a little bit taller.. I dunno.. I suppose it is not a huge difference.. I bet it is at least a year or two though. I still think it happens after Majora's Mask :)

Mak-X
03-29-2002, 02:24 AM
One of the weird things is, that sheild is from Zelda 3: A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. They didn't even try to make a shield that is similar to the Hylian or Hero sheild, so the oracle games might be closer to that time period...it may just be a cutsey deformed look...If the Triforce is whole, Ganon is dead, the sheild is the same, and Ganon is trying to be revived maybe this comes after Zelda 3, and Zelda 3 is the last game in the timeline.

He looks like a cross between the Zelda 3 Link and Ocarina of Time Link. His sword looks like a cross between Link's new Kokiri Sword in Majora's Mask(that's a bad name for it, its a much better sword than in Ocarina of Time) and the main sword Link has in Zelda 2 and Zelda 3.

Perhaps the Oracle games aren't even apart of the other games, and are sequels to the upcoming GCN Zelda. Miyamoto said he wanted to expand on the world of the Game Boy games. Now that's something I wouldn't mind, a seperate series/universe so the previous story wouldn't be screwed up by any new wacky additions.

Warlock
03-29-2002, 02:29 AM
Yeah, you know the more I think of it, I really don't know.. it was awhile ago that I formulated the theory, so maybe I already decided I was wrong :D haha..

His outfit is also a cross between Adult Link OoT's White pants and LTTP/LoZ Link's Brown Sleeves... you will notice Young Link has no sleeves or pants.

Other things I have stumbled across include Impa looking fat and older like a "middle ground" between lean mean OoT Impa and old decrepid LoZ Impa.. I dunno.

BTW, sorry if the MM pic above doesn't work.. GIA must not allow external linking.. but only on JPEGs :) haha

Menokh
03-29-2002, 02:51 AM
Perhaps TSA could enlighten us on the Japanese stoyline?
It would be nice to know if my theories are anywhere near correct.

me2
03-29-2002, 09:04 PM
If you see the ending of the linked oracle game, Link sails on a boat, which makes me beleive that's this is a prequal(sp.) of Link's awakening. So the story line would look like this:
Zelda GCN
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Zelda ALttP
Oracle series
Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda AoL

mrz84
03-29-2002, 10:18 PM
hmmm..... that seems interesting. and somewhat close to the truth. :kawaii:

Skatche
03-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Sorry, me2, but your storyline cannot be correct. One of the few facts we have is that LTTP comes after AoL. It might, however, go something like this:

OoT
MM
AoL

At this point (but not actually shown in any of the games), Link has a son, and then dies, of old age or otherwise. His blood is used to revive Ganon. His son continues the story:

LTTP

After this game, Ganon somehow is revived and takes over the light world, resulting in:

LoZ

Now Ganon is really, truly dead. But wait - what about the alternate universe Ganons?!!?!???!?!??!?!??1/1// The series continues:

OoS
OoA

And finally,

LA.

There's no way of knowing (yet) where Z:GCN fits in. This is only one of many interpretations of the twisted Zelda storyline.

me2
03-29-2002, 10:56 PM
But AoL is After TLoZ! A few years after link defeated Ganon, Princess Zelda Was put to sleep by a wizard, on link's birthday.

Mak-X
03-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by me2
But AoL is After TLoZ! A few years after link defeated Ganon, Princess Zelda Was put to sleep by a wizard, on link's birthday.

No...
The way the story goes, the original Princess Zelda was put to sleep by a Wizard because she wouldn't reveal the information on the Triforces to her brother. The Prince tried to stop the wizard but he was too late and with the wizard's last breath Princess Zelda was put to sleep. From then on, every female in the family would be named "Zelda".
When Link approached his 16th birthday the crest of the kingdom (Triforce) appeared on his left hand. He went to Impa and she showed him "The Door that does not open". It opened when Link pressed against it. In the room was the sleeping Zelda. Impa gave Link a scroll and 6 crystals. To Link's surprise he could read the ancient scroll of a language he had never known. It explained that Link needed to recover the Triforce of Courage from the Great Palace (Wisdom and Power were already in the kingdom). to do this, Link had to go to the 6 palaces and place the crystals in the statues, which would undo the binding force on the Great Palace.

Yes, Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link is a sequel to The Legend of Zelda and follows after it. Many seasons have passed since Zelda 1, and Ganon's minions are working to revive their master by killing Link and sprinkling his blood on Ganon's ashes.

In the U.S. A Link to the Past takes place before The Legend of Zelda. I'm beginning to think they screwed up even with the title "A Link to the Past" and its supposed to be a sequel to Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, making it last in the series. It's strange that the Triforce would say "Ganon has been completely destroyed" and not mean it.

Excluding the Oracle games (I haven't finished yet) this is how I used to know the series by:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link

Miyamoto has said Link's Awakening goes anywhere...www.zelda.com stupidly says it takes place during Zelda 2, where a raft magically becomes a sail ship, and Link spends a bunch of time for a side quest of Link's Awakening...the manual for Link's Awakening pretty much says it happens after Zelda 3.

Now I'm beginning to think its this

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening

The only way to know for sure is to get a good translation of the Japanese games, manuals included. If there are multiple Link's I wonder if its not so farfetched that NOA would rewrite stuff so it wouldn't have to deal with "reincarnation".