PDA

View Full Version : Bahamut Lagoon ??

Hermit
03-28-2002, 01:44 PM
I been waiting forever for someone to translate this game ever since I learned about the ToP and SD3 translations, hell that's like years....:eyebrow: I know there was some group working on the damn thing... anyone know what the deal is ? They ever finish, I forgot the url to go look ?

I wanna play it!! Well actually let me rephrase...
I wanna be able to read it!! :cry: :cry:

Mak-X
03-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Bahamut Lagoon...why does that sound familiar? I think I've seen it before in a magazine can't remember where. For some reason I think it was on the SNES but I might be thinking of another game.

SiliconHero
03-28-2002, 02:33 PM
It is on SNES. It was one of those Japanese-only games made by Squaresoft. It's quite good. Someone was working on the translation, but it appears that there are still a few problems with the beta-version of the patch (such as the characters switching languages suddenly midway through the game).

VEL
03-28-2002, 03:30 PM
http://rpgd.emulationworld.com/
This page has some news on the translation.

Arcayn
03-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Bahamut Lagoon is one of the games I've been waiting on to be translated. It's a slick strategy-rpg, think Ogre Battle mixed with Final Fantasy. I don't know much about the story but it appears to be average.

Anyway,DeJap (http://www.dejap.com) (the guys who translated Tales of Phantasia) are working on it. There also is another trans group who already released a beta, Illusion translations, but I can't recommend it. The script hasn't been edited, it looks rubbish, and there are a lot of bugs. Including a crash when saving. I strongly suggest to wait for DeJap to release.

edit: DeJap's site seems to be down atm.

Cloral
03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
...and IT has quit on the translation (check Vel's link to see what I mean). Who knows if this will ever get finished?

Daarkseid
03-29-2002, 12:20 AM
Heh, the situation with IT as described in the report on the page VEL mentioned reminds me of the pitiful tale of RPGe back in 1998...

Despite RPGe being one of the first to make a nearly complete translation patch for a ROM(in this case for Final Fantasy V for the Super Famicom), the group came under considerable criticism(alot of it unconstructive) because of the fact another translation group leader(Demi) was a complete asshole and decided he didn't like RPGe for some reason that I never figured out and he had a much greater following than RPGe(that and I could tell he was kissing Zophar's(of Zophar.net at the time) ass). Then you had RPGe, that was led by Shadow, whom I look back on was a total flake.

He couldn't take the crap he was getting from people in e-mails and quit RPGe, only to return again. Then he left as soon as the flame e-mails started coming in again, probably over his criticism of Demi, who had bluntly called RPGe's attempt at translating Pokemon Blue to be trash. I think he was also known for repeatedly threatening to quit over e-mail flames and what else.

I wasn't really in on the Rom translation scene much after Alex Jackson finished the FF3j trans. patch and after EmuNews went down, but about a year later, I was trying to locate RPGe's site, and instead found this horrid spoof webpage located on Zophar or Neo Demiforce's(Demi) site that contained all of the text and images of RPGe's mainpage, but the background image was a tile image of Bart Simpson getting ready to screw a spread eagle Marge Simpson.

I soon found out that RPGe, between the time I stopped checking out EmuNews and the translation scene and my coming back to it, had called it quits after Shadow left for the last time. Thankfully their FFV patch is highly available for those who don't want to endure the long loading times of FFV on PSX.

Hermit
03-29-2002, 12:25 AM
Well crapola... oh well, guess I'll learn Japanese instead. That should probably take alot less time than waiting for this thing to be translated :laughing:

I'm not even gonna bother with this 92% IPS... sounds like it has too many rough patches. I don't wanna bother starting a game it I can't finish it either :blah:

Thanks for the info :)

Cloral
03-29-2002, 04:21 AM
There's no point really playing into a game until the complete patch is out. Playing a little bit to see what the game is like is one thing, but I played well into Tales of Phantasia before the final patch came out and ended up having to start over from the beginning again (and having to replay about 8+ hours worth).

Oh, and I checked after leaving here earlier, and DeJap (http://www.dejap.com/index.htm) is back up. They have quite a few nice screenshots of Bahamut Lagoon on the news page (it doesn't appear yet on the projects section of the site).

Speaking of translations controvercy, remember what happened with ToP? A bunch of groups released the patch by DeJap claiming it to be their own. Fun thing was, the translator had made one of the people from Olive Village say a message from him. So he gave out a save file from Olive Village so you could use it with the patch and see that it had the DeJap message in it. I guess they must have been so sorry for the pitiful efforts of the translator that they gave him credit in their own translation, huh? ;)

Hermit
03-29-2002, 05:59 AM
Yeah that kind of thing used to happen alot back in the days that I was actually into the whole "playing translated jap games". A big reason why some projects get cancelled, translation stealing, oh well.

I think the ToP translation was hilarious :laughing: When Arche, or whatever her name was, was sleeping at the table on the boat dreaming about having sex with Cless. God that was so funny :laughing: :laughing:

Cloral
03-31-2002, 01:57 AM
That sort of thing is actually more common than you probably think, because those sort of scenes often get cut by the company during translation. They figure it won't sit well with the American audience.
For instance, in Crono Trigger there is a 'bar' where one of the patrons calls for "more soda!" The 'bartender' replies back that he has had too much sugar for the day. Now do you think that's how it was in the original?

Daarkseid
03-31-2002, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Cloral
For instance, in Crono Trigger there is a 'bar' where one of the patrons calls for "more soda!" The 'bartender' replies back that he has had too much sugar for the day. Now do you think that's how it was in the original?

...Maybe the guy was a diabetic?

Hermit
03-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Awww everyone needs a lil suga from time to time :heart: