PDA

View Full Version : We have a ZQuest Tutorial. But how about a ZQuest REFERENCE!

AlexMax
03-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Yes, a reference. In other words, ONE text file that covers EVERYTHING in Zquest in a sorted, easy to look up way.

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/zqtutorial/thirdparty/hotkeylist/index.html

This is a good start, and in fact I think it would make a perfect 'chapter' in the reference, but I have always yearned for a "look up stuff when I have questions" type of document instead of a tutorial.

(Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Alpha's tutorial...K?)

Alpha? Someone else?

JayeM
03-28-2002, 03:37 PM
I've been updating the zquest.txt file as we go along and it will be released with the next release. I think Cyclone has the right version to give to the contest people.

PrismDreamer
03-29-2002, 02:12 AM
Indeed, a reference would be very handy, particularly if it included simple things, such as descriptions of the icons - those in the middle box (PGDN once), and in the tile editor. Though I have learned what several of them are for (mostly thanks to the tutorial), the use of a few still elude me.

K-Teclis
03-29-2002, 05:38 AM
For newbies useful!
I hope It'll have everything! Everything that newbies have problems with!

JayeM
03-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Check out the ZQuest Manual ebook for beta 104 in my briefcase (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/jayeseuss) - I also have it in text form that can be accessed from within ZQuest.

PrismDreamer
03-30-2002, 02:31 AM
I followed the link to your briefcase, but Yahoo reported to me that the folder was empty.

JayeM
03-30-2002, 06:48 AM
I see. Yahoo briefcase has been messing up lately. I can get into mine, but I only got into my brother's by getting his password. Hmm. If you will post your email address or email me, I will mail it to you.

FeretWP
04-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Here is a thought that had crossed my mind.

Has anyone ever thought about taking the zquest manual and other reference materials that are out there and compiling them into a windows help file (.chm) ? Since most of the ZQtutorial is already in html format it would not take much work to convert it into a help file with MS's HTML Help Workshop (available freely from MS website).

Yes i know the goal was to get it to run on multiple Os's and thats fine, but i bet a lot of us are running on Windows and that file would be of help, at least for a while. Just looking for thoughts.

AlexMax
04-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Or perhaps a PDF file...

You know, Adobe Acrobat.

FeretWP
04-05-2002, 05:29 PM
true and acrobat file pdf would be a good way for other platforms, however though you can make a table of contents for pdf files (from what i have seen, its a bit more trouble some to search for particular things.)

With a windows help file made through MS HTML Help Workshop you can set up a table of contents (with links to places on the AGN and ZC site) as well as having a key word searching engine and a regular searching tool just like the regular windows help files. It would all be in one fairly small file likely, and it would run on most windows based systems since the major parts that it rely on are in herent in the windows os.

Cyclone
04-06-2002, 12:21 AM
I had thought of creating a Web site with screenshots of everything I can answer for myself, but some things would remain unanswered; thus, no Web site.

And I don't mean by creating a sample quest; basically, a glossary or some kind of reference that resides on a site, for easy lookup. Thus, for the entry "dmap", you'd get a definition, and such.

Takers?

Cyclone

KJAZZ
04-06-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Yes, a reference. In other words, ONE text file that covers EVERYTHING in Zquest in a sorted, easy to look up way.

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/zqtutorial/thirdparty/hotkeylist/index.html

This is a good start, and in fact I think it would make a perfect 'chapter' in the reference, but I have always yearned for a "look up stuff when I have questions" type of document instead of a tutorial.

YaY! Someone commented on my hard work! ;)

Actually that is an old version, I know what "B" does, and there are some minor errors. Oh well, it's good enough. :D