PDA

View Full Version : Hunt the Wumpus. Are you ready?

AlexMax
03-28-2002, 12:54 AM
http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/dungeon/wumpus/

"You are standing on the threshold of the

``Caves of the Wumpus''
Please take note or you may join the unlucky many who have died in the attempt to kill the dreaded wumpus of the caverns.

The wumpus is a terrible beast of whom none as lived to describe. The only real things known is that it generally sleeps in one place unless disturbed, has very strong smell which can be smelt in neibouring rooms. It is also very very fast, and guaranteed to kill an adventurer who walks into the same room.

This wumpus has moved into the castle's magic caverns which are connected together by magical passages in a different way, for each adventurer, and indeed for each attempt by that adventurer.

All the caves are numbered and three passages from each lead to other caves. The destination cave of each passage is clearly marked but no guarantee can be made that the passage you entered will allow you to return the same way, though it usally can. A passage can also loop back to the same cave!

Almost all the caves in the resulting maze are unique. However watchout for drafts as they indicate that a neigbouring cave contains a bottomless pit and in a large maze more than one of these can exist.

If you are unlucky enough to actually enter the wumpus's lair, you will always smell the wumpus as the cave reeks of it. The wumpus seem to be rarely in his lair when an adventurer goes exploring, so what out he could be near by (or not) and you will not know it.

Other than the wumpus, other animals live in the cave system. Giant ants and spiders have flourished but are of no real concern to adventurers. Something that is of concern is the giant `snatch' bats, which may have one or two lairs in the caves. As such listen for their squeeks. While they will not harm an intruding adventurer, they will carry him/her away from its lair to a random location in the maze. They also have been known to drop the adventurer in a bottomless pit or to the wumpus as a light snack.

You will be given a crossbow with five (5) magic bolts of slaying. These bolt are guarantee to kill, either the wumpus, or any adventurer in the cave at end of whatever passage you shoot them into. However the wumpus seems know when such magic bolts have been fired and may move once neigbouring cave when a bolt is fired. Shooting arrows into a passage that loops back is suicide, as they will simplely loop back and kill you (they are magic crossbow bolts after all)

If you are unlucky enough run out of arrows, a dinner bell will ring and the tables will be turned. The wumpus will then proceed to hunt you, moving randomly through the caves, when ever you make a move. It is too large for the pits or the bats, so does not need to worry about such things. Your only option is to quickly ``hunt the exit'' to leave the caves and tie the game. Of course if the wumpus gets you, it wins and you lose!

Good luck
Signed: Stevan Ironheart, Dwarven Architect of Castle Dungeons and Iconocaves. "

So, what is YOUR fate?

AtmaWeapon
03-28-2002, 01:09 AM
I killed the wumpus in 6 moves. Lucky shot, eh?

AlexMax
03-28-2002, 10:07 AM
Damn, lucky shot indeed. ^_^

Arcayn
03-28-2002, 10:22 AM
The completed games finished in the following ways...
2096 (16%) players successfully killed the wumpus. Cowabunga!
3492 (28%) players become a wumpus snack: 2441 hunting it, 1051 hunted by it
5287 (42%) players fell into a bottomless pit. Aaarrggghhh...
688 (5%) players escaped with the wumpus on their trail. Phew!
595 (4%) players some how managed to shoot themselves. Tsk, Tsk!
187 (1%) players chickened out of the hunt (exit with crossbow bolts).
12345 (100%) players , in total completed ``Hunt the Wumpus''

Hehe.. going to check this out when I have time.

DemoQuestFan
03-28-2002, 11:34 AM
I used to play this game on my TI994a in the early and mid 80s

inori
03-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Woohoo, I killed the wumpus! Gee, the cave only had eight rooms ... wasn't so hard.

Arcayn
03-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Well.. luck does seem to play a big part in the game. Sometimes you'll have to guess which room is safe and which contains a pitfall or a snatch bat. And sometimes it's even unsolvable because of that. But it's fun anyway.

Is there a TI-83 version of this game anywhere?

AtmaWeapon
03-29-2002, 02:04 PM
I just got lucky. In the third room I went in, I smelled a wumpus, so I just fired an arrow down all three corridors. Hit him on the third try! :)

I couldn't find a hunt the wumpus game for TI-83. :(

NerdWarrior
03-29-2002, 02:08 PM
*Starts game*
*shoots bolt*
*wins on first move*
:lol:

Tygore
03-29-2002, 02:47 PM
I was the 2100th person to kill the wumpus!:D

Zeo
03-29-2002, 10:58 PM
I think I did it in Five moves...........that was easy.

The Savior
03-29-2002, 11:05 PM
I started, I smelled the wumpus in the first room, I shot, and killed myself. :mad:

Glenn the Great
03-30-2002, 12:47 AM
I fell into a bottomless pit on my first move. I did manage to escape in the version where I was hunted. I like the room descriptions.

Jemsee
03-30-2002, 01:09 AM
Pure luck.
Started in room 12, went to room 10, where there was an exit and I smelled a wumpus. Fired 1 arrow into room 17 and killed the poor bastard.
Mmm...wumpus stew.:drool: