PDA

View Full Version : Taking up the harmonica...

Skatche
03-27-2002, 11:34 PM
On a whim, I decided last week to take up the harmonica. I still suck pretty bad (of course) but it has a really steep learning curve. I already find that I can improvise a simple harmonica line with songs that are in the same key as my harmonica, although not without mistakes. Does anyone else here play the harmonica?

Paradox
03-27-2002, 11:36 PM
i've played it before.
a little tip to learn is that you can not only blow out into it, you can breathe in and it makes a slightly higher pitched sound. i just thought u should know if you dont already.

i know how to play mary had a little lamb... :D

Cronic
03-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Hmm... Practicing for a carreer at Fulsam there Skatche?

Skatche
03-27-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Paradox
i've played it before.
a little tip to learn is that you can not only blow out into it, you can breathe in and it makes a slightly higher pitched sound. i just thought u should know if you dont already.

i know how to play mary had a little lamb... :D

Um... actually you're supposed to breathe in too. There are two sets of reeds - those for blowing out, and those for breathing in; and they play completely different notes. In fact a lot of blues artists play "cross-harp" (mostly breathing in) because you can bend notes if you're breathing in, but not out.

And... um... what's Folsam?

Cronic
03-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Hmmm... I'll give ya a hint.

Think Johnny Cash...

But I personally fel the harmonica to be among the finer instruments out there hands down.

Blues kicks much ass.

Paradox
03-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Skatche

Um... actually you're supposed to breathe in too. There are two sets of reeds - those for blowing out, and those for breathing in; and they play completely different notes. In fact a lot of blues artists play "cross-harp" (mostly breathing in) because you can bend notes if you're breathing in, but not out.

oh. well im not that harmonica expert that you're looking for...

Skatche
03-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Paradox

oh. well im not that harmonica expert that you're looking for...

We don't need any identification...
You're not the harmonica expert I'm looking for...
Carry on...

J.J. Maxx
03-28-2002, 12:59 AM
I play Harmonica a bit. I can play a mad rendition of 'Oh Suzanna'. ;)

Brasel
03-28-2002, 01:04 AM
I learned how to play Billy Joel's Pianoman on mine just a couple days after I got it...I play it well too.

I'm musically talented. :D

Ibis, God of Magicks
03-28-2002, 03:13 AM
Actually, about a month ago I picked up a harmonica on a whim, and have been playing. I'm not that good yet, but I found a web site that is very helpful:

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/

Hope that helps.

And yes, blues harmonica Kicks ass!