PDA

View Full Version : Do you suffer from Raynaud's Phenomenon?

Radium
03-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Raynaud's (ray-NODES) phenomenon is a condition in which poor blood flow results in pain and skin color changes in affected parts of the body. Those parts of the body most commonly affected include the fingers, toes, ears, or tip of the nose. Raynaud's phenomenon usually occurs in several episodes, with each episode lasting a few minutes to an hour or more. Symptoms generally don't occur between episodes.

When this condition occurs by itself, it is called primary Raynaud's phenomenon. When it occurs along with other diseases, such as scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, Sjogren's syndrome, or overlap syndrome (mixed connective tissue disease), it is called secondary Raynaud's phenomenon.

There is no cure for Raynaud's phenomenon, but in most cases it can be controlled with proper medical care.

WHO GETS RAYNAUD'S PHENOMENON?
This condition can begin at any age, but it usually begins between ages 15 and 40. It occurs in three to five percent of the population and is much more common in women than in men.

So do any of you have the hands turn purple in the cold problem? I do :P it suxx0rs having purple hands...

(I got the information from Here (http://www.jachabacha.com/information/raynaud.htm))

Mak-X
03-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Radium
So do any of you have the hands turn purple in the cold problem? I do :P it suxx0rs having purple hands...

Thank goodness! I thought it was specifically from playing video games (still could be), and something really wrong was wrong about my hands. I first noticed this in 8th grade. I'd relate it to playing video games, but it happend before I got a N64 that I played way more than anything else I think. If its cold outside, or I'm feeling cold through tension they change color. When I go somewhere hot they'll turn red with the change of temperature.

Paradox
03-27-2002, 11:29 PM
i dont think i have it, but i know someone who always gets purple hands when its cold...

Menokh
03-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Not my hands but rather my left foot.
My left foor will ocasionally turn redish for a few minutes then it will go back to normal for a few days.