PDA

View Full Version : Midi2mp3

Dechipher
03-27-2002, 01:50 AM
is there a way to convert MIDI's to MP3's????

I know this prolly belongs in the GED, but its urgent...

Gerudo
03-27-2002, 01:57 AM
why would you need to do this? midi > mp3?

Dechipher
03-27-2002, 02:03 AM
for some reason, i can tburn MIDI's to a cD, so i need to convert them

Hermit
03-27-2002, 02:06 AM
I can do this for you if you want
send your midis to

[email protected]

put word "Convert" in the subject so i'll know theyre from you
ill send your mp3s back through a pager or something depending on the size of them

I have more midi and MPU-401 song banks for my midis and mod trackers than youll... well anyway

actually, maybe its best i just say... If you want them to sound REAL send them to me, if ya just want your adlib, just open your windows media player, play it while recording on Sound Recorder... then convert the wav to mp3

Dechipher
03-27-2002, 02:09 AM
naw...i need them tonight. Sides, there's about 50 of em

isn't there a program?

Hermit
03-27-2002, 02:14 AM
Not that im aware of, i wish there were though, would make my life alot easier.
there are a few midi->wav programs im sure
just run a search on "midi to wav" at download.com or some other search engine

those types of things are pretty etchy though. there is always alot of room for fuckups when converting midis into anything.
just pick a good one

Flash Man
03-27-2002, 02:19 AM
Winamp can do this. Goto Preferences/Plugins/Output/diskwriter. Configure it if you need to. Then just load up the MIDIs and you're good. It will output as WAV, although you can still burn wavs to CDs and have them play on cd players.

Hermit
03-27-2002, 02:21 AM
Since when do wavs play on CD players ?

I musta been alseep when this advancement was introduced...

Dechipher
03-27-2002, 02:32 AM
ok...did all that, loaded the midis. Im playin gthem. What do i do now?
cause it aint showin nothing in my output directory

Gerudo
03-27-2002, 02:36 AM
unless im wrong, winamp will NOT convert mid's to anything...

Menokh
03-27-2002, 02:38 AM
WinAmp will convert any sound stream into a .wav file.
I do it all the time.
Just in preferences select the diskwriter plugin.
Sometimes WinAmp fucks up, though, so back up your midis before trying this.

Gerudo
03-27-2002, 02:44 AM
well, i just tried this, and it aint werkin for me... i will keep tryin...

menokh, try midi's and tell me if you're successful.

the only way i got midi > wav > mp3 is by using wingroove, then winamp

Dechipher
03-27-2002, 02:48 AM
argh!!! It aitn working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE< HAVE MERCY......GIVE ME A FRIGGIN MIDI2 MP3 CONVERTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

*grabs gerudo around the neck, fro the back*

*pulls out Insta-ban gun*
*points it at Gerudo's head*
Gerudo: Noo, please, don't do it!!!!!
Me: HAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!! I need one NOW!!!!!

goKi
03-27-2002, 05:33 AM
im quite sure that windows media player 8 lets most sound files burn onto cds, why not try it? i cant personally test it for you, not having a cd burner.

Saffith
03-27-2002, 02:30 PM
I think with a MIDI you have to play and record it, as the system won't try to figure out how it sounds unless you play it. Shouldn't be too hard to find a good program for that; even Windows Sound Recorder will do it, though not very well.
Trying to convert a MIDI (rather than recording it) should be about as effective as recording sheet music right off the paper.

Elemental Knight
03-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Since this thread is already here, I'l just ask my own qurestion:

I've got an MP3 player, and a bunch of .Mid s. The MP3 player will play MP3s or WMAs, but not MIDs or MIDIs. Any help?

MottZilla
03-28-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Hermit
Since when do wavs play on CD players ?

I musta been alseep when this advancement was introduced...

WAV = Raw Audio = CD Track. WAVs are in a way the same as a CD track. So you can say a cd player plays wavs, but not on a file based cd ofcourse. Only when the WAV is made into an audio track.

Hermit
03-28-2002, 03:44 AM
Yes I know this Mott... the point was CD Players won't play anything in .WAV format... they would have to be converted to .CDA tracks

You're always bustin my chops :cry: lol

But since there still seems to be some questions lingering here... No there isn't a program that I'm aware of that will convert Midis into MP3s in one step.

Best thing to do is either Record the Midis yourself (using Sound Recorder or something else), or get a program that will record and output your Midis into .Wav format (the best program to use for this is WinGroove, it's very fast at outputting into .Wavs because it doesn't actually Play the midi while it converts it. Instead it just reads the midis sounds and pitches and such, and writes them into .Wavs without the song being played at all)

Once you have your .Wavs... just compress them into Mp3 format. There are tons of programs out there that do this, use what's best for you (personally I use CDex1.3 for all my .Wav->Mp3 and Mp3-> .Wav needs)

Any more questions out there ?

MottZilla
03-28-2002, 04:28 AM
.CDA's are just index like files. CD players obviously only play CD Audio Tracks.

VGWarrior
03-28-2002, 07:35 AM
If you have a microphone, download Cool Edit.

Then just put the mike by the speakers, avoid the static noise, then play the midi. Save at the end to convert it to WAV (MP3 isn't available in the shareware version, and if you do get the paid version, it doesn't work well any).