PDA

View Full Version : DDX Vs. Star Trek

DarkDragoonX
03-26-2002, 11:27 PM
I'll admit I'm a bit of a "trekkie." I started watching ST:Next Generation as a child, then moved on to DS9. Voyager, and now Enterprise... however, I've still noticed thousands of inconsistancies that, frankly, grate on my nerves.

For example, why doesn't the ship ever run out of gas? I mean, the holodeck, the replicators, the warp drive... they must use incredible amounts of energy. This is especially true in Voyager, where the crew is god knows how many light-years away from known space. I mean, you'd expect that eventually, they'd press the warp button, and the engines would light up, and the ship would begin to accelerate... only to come to a screeching halt because they accidently, replaced the spare dilithium crystals with Folger's crystals. Bummer.

And let's not forget the good 'ol "Captain Kirk Diplomacy," which consited of 3 men armed with phasers. In fact, here's what the average contact dialoge between Kirk and aliens generally sounded like:

Alien: Greetings, human.
Kirk: *smirk*
Phaser: Zap.

And that was it. Why weren't the other aliens ever standing by with weapons, so that if something happened, they could kick some human ass?

Then there's the engineers. I mean, these people must have an average IQ of 700, considering all the modification they do to the ship on a daily basis. Every episode, the engineer inevitably says something along the lines of: "Captain! Our shields are weakening! We're doomed! Wait! If I remodulize the hyper calibrators with the nuclear widget uranium sprokects...! It just might work!"
Seriously, if every ship had people making such spontaneus modifications, the standard engineer at a space dock must have the most hellish jopb ever. Starfleet probably uses that as punishment.

Overseer:"You're late again, Fenwick! For that, you have to give the Starship 'Parfait' a TUNE UP!"

Engineer: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

And don't even get me started about the Borg. I mean, everyone is so scared of them, but all they had to do to stop them was point them to the nearest human college for assimilation. Within hours, the Borg would have abandoned their goal of taking over the universe, and would have settled with hosting the Eternal Keg Party.

Well, I'm done ranting now. Please excuse me, I'm off to watch "Voyager."

Saffith
03-26-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX
however, I've still noticed thousands of inconsistancies that, frankly, grate on my nerves.
"And speaking of Regulus being 300 light-years from the Station, Jake also indicates in 'The Search, Part I' that it took no more than two weeks to get from Earth to DS9. If Regulus is 300 light-years from the station and Earth is about 80 light-years from Regulus, the absolute minimum distance from the station to Earth must be 220 light-years. Now, The Star Trek Encyclopedia says traveling at warp 9.6 will take you about 20 light-years in 4 days. That means it should take Sisko and Jake about 44 days to get from Earth to DS9, not 13 or fewer!"

Heh. My mother has a few of the Nitpicker books. They're kind of amusing sometimes, but they can be pretty creepy...