PDA

View Full Version : The perfect text color...

Nick
03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
I've been messing with my text trying to find the perfect color that will always show up, but I can't find it. White is the generic color, but it doesn't show up at all in my snowy area. It also fails to stand out through flames (I have a cutscene involving some flames) and certain colors.

I tried a darker grey to find it still doesn't show up through flames, but it is readable in the snowy area. I tried blue to find it wasn't readable in Bloody Hideaway and was an overall hard color to read even though it stood out.

I tried green to find similar results to that of blue.

Is there a color that one can actually read most of the time and has a rare chance of showing up in the game (level palatte wise)?

GuitarmanTim
03-26-2002, 06:53 AM
a bit dark yellow should work exept maybe in the fire area.

Raichu86
03-29-2002, 04:02 PM
You could try using layers to create windows for your text.

Like this:

http://zc.uhhsam.com/BLoTH/bloth2.gif

I never let the text be anything less than very easy to read.

Nick
03-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Why in the world did I not think of that? (Don't answer that!)

Thanks! :)

Now, to find how big I'll need to make my boxes...

GuitarmanTim
03-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86
You could try using layers to create windows for your text.

Like this:

http://zc.uhhsam.com/BLoTH/bloth2.gif

I never let the text be anything less than very easy to read.

do you do that by warping to an identical screen with a text string on it and a layer with the text box on it? (in other words: 2 screen per text screen, the normal one and the one with the text) or is there an way I can make the textbox and the string apear on 1 (overworld) screen?

K-Teclis
04-01-2002, 06:27 AM
I think Rai made it like you explained...
I'd do it like that, if you'd ak me!

Raichu86
04-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by GuitarmanTim

do you do that by warping to an identical screen with a text string on it and a layer with the text box on it? (in other words: 2 screen per text screen, the normal one and the one with the text) or is there an way I can make the textbox and the string apear on 1 (overworld) screen?

You duplicate the screen, and warp to it on a dmap with a level #, a guy speaking, and a few other things like Link's position. That screen just happens to have a layer for the window on it. ;) It also has layered tiles to cover up the builtin fire and centered guy. :D

Nick: Go read the AZC beta report topic. DN is gonna build windows into the game, so when the guy goes away, the window does! :D

GuitarmanTim
04-04-2002, 08:32 AM
yeah that's what I mean, duplicating a screen with a layer on it. That sux cuz I really don't feel like doing that for every text screen I have in my quest. I'll find some other way though.