PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper

AlexMax
03-24-2002, 03:36 PM
I was looking through the computer I used over the summer at my dad's office. I found a photoshop wallpaper that I was working on as a result of boredom. I had intended to release it when I got done with it, but I never got around to it.

Well now I did.

http://alexmax2742.homestead.com/files/Galaxy.bmp

Check it out... ^_^

Comments?

Orion
03-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Yes, I just love Red X wallpaper. But nothing will ever beat my current twin towers of night in NYC bg. I actually got it from one of my teachers at school. It looks really cool.

AlexMax
03-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Smartass...

I replaced it with a download link. It should work onw. When you click it, there should be a thing that says "Galaxy.bmp" between two arrows in a yellow box. Click that, and it will download (or just show up in your browser)

Sometimes I hate bitmap files. They have 0 compression, but they are about the only way to make wallpaper without activating the 3v1l active desktop... :/

theplustwo
03-24-2002, 03:54 PM
It's now my background, thanks AlexMax!! up till now I just had 'bliss' which bytes. =P Keep 'em coming!

vegeta1215
03-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Whenever sharing wallpaper online, don't use bitmaps! Ever notice how almost no wallpaper sites use .bmps? It's because they're huge! Not to mention a MS proprietary format (although others can view them, they usually need some sort of plug-in).

Use PNGs or JPEGs.

Toolie
03-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Yeah... while we are catering to the overweight and smelly Linux users, let's make everything compatable with Netscape users as well...

*edit*
Oh crap... not to mention that god awful excuse for a browser... Opera... lets pay for something that IE gives you for free.... pure and simple brilliance... </sarcasm>

Daarkseid
03-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Toolie
Yeah... while we are catering to the overweight and smelly Linux users, let's make everything compatable with Netscape users as well...

Shouldn't that say, "Lunix users"?

goKi
03-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Orion
Yes, I just love Red X wallpaper.

once windows XP displayed my wallpaper as a red X :D i never thought to screen it.

as for the wallpaper, very nice :thumbsup:

vegeta1215
03-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Toolie

*edit*
Oh crap... not to mention that god awful excuse for a browser... Opera... lets pay for something that IE gives you for free.... pure and simple brilliance... </sarcasm>

Why in the world do you have to bite my head off everytime I mention something that may sound remotely non-microsoft related? You're just too ignorant to open up to other possibilities in the computer world.

Besides, what I said had nothing to do to with Linux or Netscape specifically. My point was that Bitmaps are a terrible image format! Not because the format was created by MS, but because the file size is so huge! A regular 800x600 wallpaper saved as a bmp is over a meg in file size! It's ridiculous! There are much better formats. Many people will agree with me on that! Windows, Linux, IE, Netscape, and Opera users alike!

The only thing Bitmaps are good for is for desktop wallpaper on a Windows system. Because of the way the format was made, a bitmap wallpaper loads way faster than a JPEG wallpaper used with Active Desktop (btw, I think Active Desktop is super slow anyway).

However, when sharing wallpaper with people over the net, you don't want to send'm the bitmap. Send them an uncompressed JPEG (which with be like a 10th of the size of a bitmap) or a PNG or something. Then they can save that image as a bitmap or whatever they want.

Toolie
03-25-2002, 02:50 PM
.bmp is not the best format because of its uncompressed size.

Linux is not the best OS, because it is uncompatable and not easy to use.

Opera is not the best browser, because it charges money for providing a service that IE provides better, for free.

Menokh
03-25-2002, 05:11 PM
-bmps do in fact suck ass.
-Opera is awesome, download the free version and try it yourself. You may be pleasently surprised(the banner add isn't even annoying).
-Newer Linux distros are very easy to use.
Get your self Mandrake 8.2 (http://www.mandrake-linux.com), install it(it'll even resize your windows partition for you). In 20-45 minutes you will have a working easy to use Linux system. And if you install Wine you can run some common Windows programs. And with Win4Lin you can run them all! Mandrake has an extremely over simplified control center.
Hell if Mandrake is too complicated for you than try Desktop/LX (http://www.lycoris.com) the download link is near the top, Wine is preconfigured in this one.

Flash Man
03-25-2002, 05:40 PM
http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=12507
I really like that AMD Wallpaper.

MasterSwordUltima
03-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Two Words: SWIRLY!!!....wait...one word, yeah, one word!