PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Screenshots

SiliconHero
03-24-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if this was covered in AlphaDawg's tutorial, so I'm going to ask this question: "Is there a key that allows you to save snapshots in-game?" I want to be able to post screenshots for my Spellbound quest, but I don't think that the Print Scrn key works under DOS.

plith
03-24-2002, 11:20 AM
I believe it does if you're running ZC in -modex, but either way, there's a way to take screenies, yes. When playing ZC itself, either hit ESC to bring up the menu and find the Take Snapshot option (it'll take a screenshot of the screen as if the menu weren't there), or just hit F12 while playing. You can also use F12 in ZQuest when viewing the tile pages (F12 will also do a vertical flip for the tile you're on, just hit V to fix that), and press Z when you're editing the screens themselves to take a screenshot that way. When you do any of the above, a .bmp file is saved in the same directory called zeldaxxx.bmp (xxx is the number, so it goes zelda001.bmp, zelda002.bmp, etc.).

SiliconHero
03-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Ah....thanks.

Cyclone
03-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Adding to it, feel free to discover F3 and F4. If you am looking for something precise, you can hold down F4 while moving around in slow motion, then snap using F12. To return to normal play, push F3 (which also pauses if you don't use F4).

Cyclone
[email protected]

Raichu86
03-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone
Adding to it, feel free to discover F3 and F4. If you am looking for something precise, you can hold down F4 while moving around in slow motion, then snap using F12. To return to normal play, push F3 (which also pauses if you don't use F4).

So that's why F3 would pause/unpause and F4 would only unpause. I could never figure out what F4 did. :shrug:

Cyclone
03-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86
So that's why F3 would pause/unpause and F4 would only unpause. I could never figure out what F4 did. :shrug:

Yup. Hold it down for slow-mo.

Hold down an arrow key while holding F4 to make Link walk in slow-mo, too. ;)

Cyclone
[email protected]

Raichu86
03-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone
Yup. Hold it down for slow-mo.

Hold down an arrow key while holding F4 to make Link walk in slow-mo, too. ;)

Yay!

*tapes F4 key down*
*wins some quests*

:D :D :D

Cyclone
03-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Um, no.

You have to hold the arrow key first. THEN F4.

Cyclone
[email protected]

VGWarrior
03-25-2002, 06:43 PM
In any case, can't there eventually be a feature where taking screen shots will NOT also capture the "status screen" part (where the hearts are)?

KJAZZ
03-25-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
In any case, can't there eventually be a feature where taking screen shots will NOT also capture the "status screen" part (where the hearts are)?

Lazy. Just crop it in paint.

Cyclone
03-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by KJAZZ
Lazy. Just crop it in paint.

:laughing: I tend to concur.

Cyclone
[email protected]

Raichu86
03-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Oh man, I can't cheat. :(

I crop the image in GIMP whenever I want that bar off. Don't be so lazy. :mischief:

VGWarrior
03-25-2002, 10:10 PM
I have to "crop" the pics when I did my maps for Sludge's "A Link to a Different Dimension" map/strategy guide. However, I feel that it's an option that should be looked into.

Perhaps F11 could be used for that; as far as I recall, I don't think F11 had a purpose.

AlexMax
03-25-2002, 10:20 PM
VG has a point.

I think F11 for screenshot without status bar would be a neat idea...

Cyclone
03-25-2002, 11:05 PM
I agree it would be nice; if I then want to make manual maps, there's no problem. :)

Maybe DN will see this.

Cyclone
[email protected]

KJAZZ
03-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
I have to "crop" the pics when I did my maps for Sludge's "A Link to a Different Dimension" map/strategy guide. However, I feel that it's an option that should be looked into.

Perhaps F11 could be used for that; as far as I recall, I don't think F11 had a purpose.

Ever heard of a program called Mapmaker? PM "Fatcatfan" for more information.

C'mon now, you've been around a long time, you should know these things...:D

VGWarrior
03-26-2002, 06:48 PM
I've known of mapmaker, but that requires the quest AUTHOR to use.

I'm no quest author; however, I think I've done a decent job on what I've got so far. Check my briefcase here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/vgwarrior2001) to see a small sample of my progress.