PDA

View Full Version : New version of Nethack!

Skatche
03-24-2002, 02:02 AM
After more than two years, Nethack 3.40 has finally been released! With bug fixes, added features, game tweaks and the like, there's never been a better time to start playing the one, the only, the incredible game, NETHAAAAAAACK (http://www.nethack.org)!!!

All your friends are playing it. Why aren't you?

e3h3
03-24-2002, 10:18 AM
What would this Nethack game be?

Skatche
03-24-2002, 03:11 PM
That, my friend, is what the SITE I LINKED TO (http://www.nethack.org) is for. But since I wouldn't want you to get carpal tunnel syndrome clicking around the page, I will explain it.

Nethack is a dungeon crawl which is similair to Diablo in that you descend through a dungeon, except insanely difficult, and all your characters are "Hardcore" (for non-Diablo 2 players, that means you have exactly one life, and no continues). Many people go through several hundred characters before even beating the game. It is also incredibly complex and intricate, and turn based.

Oh, and it has no graphics in the traditional sense. It uses ANSI characters to create kind of an overhead view/map, with your character and other things represented by letters, numbers and symbols.

AlexMax
03-24-2002, 06:21 PM
It is indeed a fun game. Especially for fans of Diablo and such...

You can do so much shit in it too.

And anyone who disses this game on account of its graphics WILL be shot on sight.

DarkDragoonX
03-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Oooooo... I didn't know there was a new version. Better get it. By the way, for a nice challenge, try beating the game as a vegetarian. It must have taken me 500 characters to do that.

Skatche
03-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX
Oooooo... I didn't know there was a new version. Better get it. By the way, for a nice challenge, try beating the game as a vegetarian. It must have taken me 500 characters to do that.

You, sir, are a god. I haven't even ever ascended, let alone ascended as a vegetarian.

Raichu86
03-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
And anyone who disses this game on account of its graphics WILL be shot on sight.

Nethack sucks because of it's graphics. :evil:

*runs*

Anyway, why play Nethack when GnomeHack is available? It's NetHack with graphics. :D

http://www.codepoet.org/andersen/erik/gnomehack/gnomehack.html

(Server's a bit slow... the guy needs to find a better host.)

Skatche
03-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86

Nethack sucks because of it's graphics. :evil:

*runs*

Anyway, why play Nethack when GnomeHack is available? It's NetHack with graphics. :D

http://www.codepoet.org/andersen/erik/gnomehack/gnomehack.html

(Server's a bit slow... the guy needs to find a better host.)

Haha! Silly mortal. Graphics are for the weak!

Seriously, I have good reasons for leaving out graphics - and there are several graphical frontends for Nethack, one of which (EagleHack or something) is an isometric, semi-3D one complete with lighting effects and everything. The reason I prefer the text is that it allows me to quickly process all the information on the screen. Some really hardcore gamers will turn off textures in FPSes and other games so that there are no distractions, and they can quickly recognize things; it's the same thing with Nethack. My other reason is that, given the quality of the graphics, I'd rather leave it to my imagination to turn an L (Lich) into a giant, horrific undead zombie. In the graphical versions, immense dragons and giants take up exactly as much space as a newt or grid bug. The same is true of the text version, but text characters look nothing like the creatures they represent, leaving it entirely to my imagination (which stops functioning to a great extent as soon as graphics get involved).

Menokh
03-25-2002, 09:52 PM
Psst.. Raichu.... Gnomehack was merged with Nethack back in 2000....
there are 2 graphical versions of nethack for Linux available at the Nethack site...
I am getting one now.

Raichu86
03-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
Psst.. Raichu.... Gnomehack was merged with Nethack back in 2000....

I didn't know that. I don't play much Nethack though. I got tired of getting eaten or killed by gods. :lmao:

BTW, you all probably won't believe this, but one time I angered the goddes, and her reincarnation came down and started having sex with me. :odd: It said "[name of reincarnation] takes your robe off" or something like that. "She seems to have enjoyed it more than you." :odd: And then when I try to escape, she traps me again and it says that I took her clothes off and I enjoyed it more. After that happened a few times, she comes back and kills me. Oh well.

AlexMax
03-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Damn...

They wern't lying when they said "The DevTeam has thought of everything."

Skatche
03-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86

I didn't know that. I don't play much Nethack though. I got tired of getting eaten or killed by gods. :lmao:

BTW, you all probably won't believe this, but one time I angered the goddes, and her reincarnation came down and started having sex with me. :odd: It said "[name of reincarnation] takes your robe off" or something like that. "She seems to have enjoyed it more than you." :odd: And then when I try to escape, she traps me again and it says that I took her clothes off and I enjoyed it more. After that happened a few times, she comes back and kills me. Oh well.

If you piss off a god too much, he or she might send down a random "&" creature (i.e. demon). You got either an succubus, if you were male, or an incubus if you were female. Incubi and Succubi, as it so happens, have sex with you, and that can be a way to gain stats (if you're lucky).

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2002, 01:01 AM
I played and played and played NetHack, but I still suck at it. :( I'm in the non-scoring explore mode. Any good sites with some kind of NetHack strategies? The guidebook is more of an instruction manual.

AlexMax
03-27-2002, 05:03 PM
NetHack Absolute Beginer guide:

http://www.melankolia.net/nethack/nethack.guide.html

And remember that you can engrave "Elbereth" (I think that is the spelling) in the dirt with your fingers, and monsters won't attack you on that space.

EDIT: Yep, my spelling is correct.