PDA

View Full Version : New vB Tag/Code - PNG Alpha transparency

fatcatfan
03-22-2002, 11:51 PM
For those of you who know something about alpha transparency and PNG images, here's the short of it: (i'm putting spaces in here so I can show you the code. take them out).

[ PNGA=XX ]http://url.to/image.png[ /PNGA ]

Where XX should be replaced with the width of your image in pixels. Specifying different widths will not stretch your image, only clip it. This will insert your PNG image so that it will be correctly rendered by Internet Explorer with alpha transparency. So now you can have images with no jaggies. (too bad we don't have this for avatars)

For those who don't understand alpha transparency.... I'm trying to find a good online tutorial... anyone wanna step in and explain how to create images that use alpha transparency?

almost forgot the sample

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~eek8908/gradient.png

Notice how it fades to the board background color... no matter which style set you have active.

Menokh
03-23-2002, 02:30 AM
All fine and good for the IE users on the board.
Doesn't show up at all in any other browser, in any OS.
So people who use Opera or whatever or use Linux are left out of the benifits of this PNG alpha blending thingy.
And soon AOL users won't see it either.

DarkDragoonX
03-23-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
All fine and good for the IE users on the board.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

fatcatfan
03-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Tell me, Menokh, does the following image blend to the board BG color in your web browser?

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~eek8908/gradient.png

If not, then you couldn't see it as is intended anyway. If it does, then you can use the alpha transparency without using the custom tag... you can just use the standard [img] tag.

Either way... you have nothing to whine about. Either you've had this capacity all along but didn't know it, or the people who made your browser didn't bother to implement alpha transparency (which is part of the PNG standard).

Menokh
03-23-2002, 02:40 AM
No it doesn't.
Oh well not that big of a loss.
The thing is the other image doesn't even show up.

MottZilla
03-23-2002, 02:45 AM
Doesn't work here and I use IE 5 and am not upgrading, EVER. microsoft updates are evil and buggy as hell. Once I upgraded MSN messenger, made me have to reformat and start over cause it was fucked up THAT bad.

theplustwo
03-23-2002, 02:47 AM
In opera 6 the 2nd one worked but not the 1st. Weird.

Menokh
03-23-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by fmehmobile
In opera 6 the 2nd one worked but not the 1st. Weird.

Funny it won't work in my Opera, but the second works in Mozilla. The first doesn;t even show up in in IE when I just tryed it, and the second wasn't working in IE either.
Oh well. The second works in Mozilla.

hmm... I never use PNG images anyways... but if the code were to be modified to work in all browsers that could come in handy. Since the second image shows the transperancy under Mozzilla(but not IE), perhaps it could be done so IE users get the code but others don't. Who knows.

Raichu86
03-23-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
So people who use Opera or whatever or use Linux are left out of the benifits of this PNG alpha blending thingy.

Actually, Opera 6 Beta supports Alpha PNGs. All you Windoze users, either use Opera 6 or Netscape 6 if you want to see PNGs to their full power. IE is not an option. :kawaii:

Dechipher
04-05-2002, 10:09 PM
how did oyu figure this out fcf?

fatcatfan
04-06-2002, 01:06 AM
whaddaya mean? how to do PNG alpha... or how to do it on the board?

slothman
04-06-2002, 01:45 AM
I've heard bad things about Netscape 6.x being buggy. Right now I use 4.7 and it works fine, except for the transparency.

Raichu86
04-06-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by slothman
I've heard bad things about Netscape 6.x being buggy. Right now I use 4.7 and it works fine, except for the transparency.

It leaks memory. You aught to either use 6.x or no Netscape at all, because 4.7 does not support most CSS elements.