PDA

View Full Version : Too many files

Xyvol
03-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Here are two pictures relating to my Temporary Internet Files folder. Can you tell what's wrong?
http://www.xyvol.com/prop.GIF
http://www.xyvol.com/fold.GIF

Why does it say I have 6,061 files and 13 folders in this directory when that is clearly not the case.:eyebrow: This boggles my mind, and I'd like to know a way to fix it. Any ideas?

Hermit
03-22-2002, 11:47 PM
Sounds like the file size count is being misreported, it happens sometimes, no biggie. A simple scandisk will correct it.

Either that or you have hidden folders/files. Go to...
My Computer -> View tab -> Folder Options
View tab -> click the circle next to "Show all files..."
If they are hidden folders, they will show up now, if not the scandisk will correct this misreported file sizes and whatnot.

Cheerio

Chris Miller
03-22-2002, 11:52 PM
To rebut the last reply there...
run ScanDisk in DOS mode. I've noticed a fluke where the windows version can't figure it out. It may only be on my computer, but I just don't want you to end up with chronic head scratching disorder.:D

Saffith
03-22-2002, 11:57 PM
I think I see the problem: Your temporary internet files have been replaced by a pair of red X's!
Sorry. I'm not funny, I know. But I haven't been able to see pics on your site lately, for some reason.

As I can't see the pictures, I can but guess at the problem. Windows, I hear, doesn't treat the temporary internet files the same as other files. It's reluctant to let you see what's really there, and it absolutely refuses to delete them properly; deleting them from withing Windows basically just makes them invisible. So even when you "delete" them, they're still pretty easy to find if you know how. Even more so than with other files, I mean. The easiest way I know of to deal with them is to delete the whole folder from DOS.

Then again, maybe everything I've ever heard about it is wrong, but it's always seemed to work out that way for me.

(And, of course, sorry if I'm way off. Having to guess about this stuff sucks.)

Hermit
03-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Actually scandisk works fine under windows. Most people just arent smart enough to turn off everything before doing so, thats why it never works.

Just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL... a menu pops up...
Close everything except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER, then run your scandisk.

Amatuers....

PS. deleting everything in your Temporary Internet Folder is simple... open the damn thing, highlight everything and Delete... no need for all that other mess.

Cheerio

Jemsee
03-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Try and get a program called Power Defrag by e-technik.
When you run it, it shuts down PC and runs before windows boots up, so no programs are runing in background.
You can scandisk and defrag with it this way, best way to do it I think.

fatcatfan
03-23-2002, 12:26 AM
it's really quite simple. When you view your temp inet files folder in that way, Windows defaults to hiding the subdirectories from you. There are several subdirectories in that folder, all with psuedo-random names, and they are where most of your internet cache resides.

or it could be a disk problem. But more likely what I'm saying. Try this: do a Find Files, with "Temporary Internet Files" as the starting point. Choose "search subdirectories". Don't put anything for the search fields, just tell it to start. Now you'll get to see all the files in there, if they're there.

theplustwo
03-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Try this:

Click Start>Settings>Folder Options

Now click the 'View' tab at the top, and then where it says 'Hidden Files' click the radio button next to 'Show all files'.

Now go back to your Temporary Internet Files folder and see what you see.

p.s. If you are using ME, then 'Folder Options' will be in the Control Panel instead of on the Start Menu.

Hope this helps!! ^_~

Hermit
03-23-2002, 03:26 AM
It's nice having so many people copy my replies just to up their post count... pfft... :rolleyes:

Anyway....

Xyvol
03-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
it's really quite simple. When you view your temp inet files folder in that way, Windows defaults to hiding the subdirectories from you. There are several subdirectories in that folder, all with psuedo-random names, and they are where most of your internet cache resides. or it could be a disk problem. But more likely what I'm saying. Try this: do a Find Files, with "Temporary Internet Files" as the starting point. Choose "search subdirectories". Don't put anything for the search fields, just tell it to start. Now you'll get to see all the files in there, if they're there.

Kudos to fatcatfan. That was it exactly. I saved a pic of that too. I always have the "show all files" option on. Apperently these are more than hidden files. When checking the properties on a few of the files, Archive was checked. Is that why they won't show? No, that didn't make it appear. This kinda bugs me. There are some "temporary" files in there from last year! Man, that eats up hard drive space. What else is hidden on my computer that I don't know about?
Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

http://www.xyvol.com/hidden.jpg
p.s. changed the pic to a .jpg format, maybe it'll show better for some people.

theplustwo
03-23-2002, 03:02 PM
I heard that in Windows 2000 there are files that you can't see unless you type a special command in the command promt!

Saffith
03-23-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Xyvol
What else is hidden on my computer that I don't know about?

Looky here: http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

And yes, the pictures are showing up now. Bravo.

Xyvol
03-24-2002, 03:37 AM
Wow, that was really interesting. I'm gonna have to take a day and go through that list and fix my computer. It's not really the privacy that bothers me, it's the fact that all the stored stuff has to take up hard drive space, space I could be using for something more important.