PDA

View Full Version : Projection TVs and Video Games.....

Fiyerstorm
03-22-2002, 08:04 PM
I know that there's something bad if you connect a video game system to a flat screen projection TV....But what? Is there a way I can pla games on it? My parents bought one (47in.:kawaii: ) aqnd I wanna know if its GameCube safe...

Daarkseid
03-22-2002, 08:28 PM
I think the problems associated with playing systems on projection TVs are that if you leave a static image to perpetually display on the projection TV, it can burn itself onto the screen, thus ruining the screen.

This means that the only problems with playing a videogame system on the TV is to leave it alone without turning the screen off, or the system off. Allowing the image to sit there will ruin the screen. Your projection TV should be safe from videogame use as long as you remember to turn off the TV when you need to leave your Gamecube for awhile(like alot of us have done with console systems on normal TVs).

Also, doesn't such a TV require the use of Component Cables? Or can it still use the typical compisite A/V cables?

MottZilla
03-22-2002, 09:41 PM
Like Daark said, it's because they are more sensitive to burn-ins, and old games like Mario Bros on NES, when paused the image stays completly still. This would ruin a projection TV if left too long.

I once played perfect dark on a projection TV. It was about a 5 foot screen.

DarkDragoonX
03-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Actually, if you plug a video game system into a projection TV, your house will explode.

Jigglysaint
03-22-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX
Actually, if you plug a video game system into a projection TV, your house will explode.

And you know this, how?

DarkPanther
03-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
And you know this, how?

Oh c'mon, lay off. We've all made that mistake once.

;)

And the image is actually being burned into the CRT of the TV, which is most of the cost of a projection TV so yeah, basically, a still image will ruin it and make it not worth repairing.

Jigglysaint
03-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther

Oh c'mon, lay off. We've all made that mistake once.

;)

And the image is actually being burned into the CRT of the TV, which is most of the cost of a projection TV so yeah, basically, a still image will ruin it and make it not worth repairing.

Not me. I use an old Commodore monitor for m game systems. The rest are on the computer.

Hermit
03-23-2002, 12:07 AM
Apparently Jiggly didnt catch the humor there.....

Dark Templar
03-23-2002, 02:33 AM
On my cousins Sony big screen, you can pop off the screen and buy a new one for it for not that much if the screen gets damaged.

Mak-X
03-23-2002, 02:39 PM
There's a warning about playing games on projection TVs in every Nintendo system manual, and I'm sure for other systems.

AtmaWeapon
03-23-2002, 07:39 PM
It's not only if the screen stays stationary, objects like life meters and stuff that always is on the screen in the exact same place can burn in as well. Check out an old Galaga arcade game when it is turned off. You can usually read the high score burned into the screen. If you play games with no static screen objects, it should be OK.

Fiyerstorm
03-23-2002, 08:23 PM
How does burn-in exactly happen? :confused:

Jigglysaint
03-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Hermit
Apparently Jiggly didnt catch the humor there.....

Apperently my humor is a lot deeper that you think:blah:

Look, if I make the mistake and use a rear-projection and ruined it, that that would have ment that I owned one. If I use a game and blew up the house, I wouldn't be here. Since I don't own one, I wouldn't know about being blown up now would I?

"My jokes are so funny that only I get them!"

Dart Zaidyer
03-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Projection TVs operate on about the same principle as your computer monitor did a few years ago. Leave still images on without a screensaver, and it will eventually get burned in and you'll always see it's silhouette.
The way I figure it, excessive nonstop gameplay will pretty much hurt your TV over time, but taking those recommended breaks per hour will not, as long as you turn the TV off or change the channel first. =P

MottZilla
03-24-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SlasherCGE
How does burn-in exactly happen? :confused:

uhh.. heat, radiation, just general unchanging stress for a long peroid of time.