PDA

View Full Version : setting up the story line screens

Cronic
03-22-2002, 05:41 PM
I just need a little reminder as to how to do this.... as in one screen that link doesn't appear on which connects to the same type of screen creating a conversation.

Thanks for your help.

plith
03-22-2002, 07:43 PM
All tiles are unwalkable.
Dungeon DMap (doesn't even matter if the offset is wrong, as long as link doesn't have to walk around on any normal screens in the DMap).
Link placed at either the left or right side of the screen, at or below the middle (keeping in mind that when Link's above the middle, the person talking makes him stuck).
Alternate between left and right for each screen, and use sidewarps to switch from one screen to the next.

Cronic
03-22-2002, 07:45 PM
thanks man, but one prob... I can't get the text to display... If you like I can send you a copy of the quest I'm working on if you would like to examine the prob I'm havin.

Jigglysaint
03-22-2002, 07:46 PM
You have to set the guy or the text won't appear.

Cronic
03-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Guy is set to my invisible merchant.

C-Dawg
03-22-2002, 07:51 PM
To make the text appear, the following must be true of the screen you want a message to appear on :

1) It must be a Cave or Dungeon Dmap.
2) It must have level > 1
3) It must have a Guy other than "none". I reccommend using Fire and eliminating the fire graphics, or putting a layer over whatever guy appears and making your own.

Plith is right on one method, the off screen method. I prefer to have Link start in the middle of a bunch of warps on the floor which look like the normal floor. Then you have the option of either making a link graphic on a higher layer to make it appear as it he is stationary, or you can just let Link walk around and trigger the text as he moves. Whichever.

-C

Cronic
03-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

2) It must have level > 1

Bingo!!

Thanks C-Dawg that got it... I always leave out the simple stuff...

Complete level one demo almost achieved!