PDA

View Full Version : this better not ever happen...

Paradox
03-21-2002, 07:04 PM
sign the petition (http://www.PetitionOnline.com/SSSCA/)

supposedly the government wants to put "police programs" on computers so we cant do much illegal stuff. sign the petition or lots of people would hate the lack of freedom...

im not sure if this will ever happen, but you'd better sign to be sure...

slothman
03-21-2002, 08:05 PM
There may be another post about this petition somewhere on the board. I signed it and I think I got it from a link here.

Paradox
03-21-2002, 08:06 PM
oh well. the more people that know about this the better...

MetaStaiford
03-21-2002, 08:11 PM
This HAS been put on the forums before.

the more people who are against spyware, the better. i've had spyware-related problems before and i can already say if the US forces us to download this bullshit, im moving to canada, or assassinating american government officials... probably both.

there is stuff about me that would scare the government out of their wits most likely. not many of you know about it, and i'd rather THEY didnt know about it either

bigjoe
03-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Ill just build my own PCs. install my OS from old CDs and such. maybe use mandrake. Nothing the weiner of a government can do :shrug:

MottZilla
03-21-2002, 08:23 PM
If you read the thing it was for new hardware. So our current pcs would not be affected. I really think the government is a bunch of stupid kids that are just old. They know nothing about technology and any programmer or hardware designer that would help with this should be shot.

bigjoe
03-21-2002, 08:38 PM
If Linux OSes will refuse to adopt this system then I foresee the biggest switch of Operating Systems in the history of mankind

Weirdguy
03-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Everyone switching to Linux? This sounds interesting... I say the government should go through with this plan, and we can take out Bill Gates with one fell swoop. How intriguing... Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not realistic, but I'm just having fun with this. Seriously, the government is both evil and stupid, which does not make a good combination.

Daarkseid
03-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Weirdguy
Everyone switching to Linux? This sounds interesting... I say the government should go through with this plan, and we can take out Bill Gates with one fell swoop. How intriguing... Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not realistic, but I'm just having fun with this. Seriously, the government is both evil and stupid, which does not make a good combination.

Hell no. The law already basically states that any OS that doesn't support this kind of thing, and Freeware, would be banned. Since Linux is freeware, it would be banned.

I say if the government does pass this, and it is upheld by the Supreme Court, I'd support a violent overthrow of the federal government. This law is terribly unacceptable, even if the intent is to better enforce copyrights. This just goes too far.

slothman
03-22-2002, 12:23 AM
I was reading slashdot.org and found another site that might help. It is: http://www.digitalconsumer.org/fax.html

Weirdguy
03-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

Hell no. The law already basically states that any OS that doesn't support this kind of thing, and Freeware, would be banned. Since Linux is freeware, it would be banned.

I say if the government does pass this, and it is upheld by the Supreme Court, I'd support a violent overthrow of the federal government. This law is terribly unacceptable, even if the intent is to better enforce copyrights. This just goes too far.

LOL even better, contraband operating systems. I assume this would also make DOS illegal, as well. That would be great, going to jail for having a C:\> prompt on my screen. Frankly, I do think it's totally ridiculous that the government should be able to control what operating system you run on your computer (also, wouldn't this just reenforce the monopoly Bill Gates has on the computer industry, thereby completely defeating the purpose of the whole anti-trust thing?). I mean, that's a bit extreme. God, I understand the point, but really, it severely limits your freedom, even if you never violated any copyright law in your entire life. I'd say that is definitely unconstitutional, but then again, the constitutionality of a law is usually determined by the political climate of the time, as history has repeatedly shown us with various heinous violations of people's rights by the government in the name of "security". I seriously doubt that there's any way this law would ever get passed, and if it did, it would be immediately struck down by the Supreme Court. God, this just makes me sick.

richeva
03-22-2002, 09:11 AM
Whats the point of spywhare? People will eventually find a way to hack, sneak and ganerally fool around with it!!:rolleyes:

CH@O$
03-22-2002, 09:12 AM
laws suck, internet laws would really suck

Daarkseid
03-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CH@O$
laws suck, internet laws would really suck

Laws are necessary to maintain order in society and squelch collective irrationality as a result of individual rationality. The only problem is that we want to keep collective irrationality in control without completely irradicating individual rationality(which is what I believe such overbearing laws like this one the US government is proposing).

SiliconHero
03-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Why does it have to be up to the U.S. to decide this? That government can't police ALL of the technology...

DragonCommander
03-22-2002, 09:02 PM
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
The British won't be affected in the slightest!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
*clears throat*
I'm actually caught between laughter (contraband OSes - lol) and being serious (it would just be ignored, like every other law in existance - drugs, murder: these things still happen).

Elemental Knight
03-22-2002, 09:05 PM
I DO NOT SEE THE PROBLEM WITH SPYWARE. THE GOV-ERN-MENT DOES THIS FOR THE CITIZEN'S OWN WELFARE. I REPEAT, THE GOV-ERN-MENT DOES THIS FOR THE CIT-I-ZEN'S OWN WEL-FARE...

*click* *whirrrrrrrr*

Please flip tape to Side 2 to continue the recording.

*click* *whirrrrrrrr*