PDA

View Full Version : A little-known link between SMB3 and Zelda...

bonegolem
03-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Yes, I have found a strange link between Super Mario Bros. 3 (for NES) and Zelda 1.
Now when you get the magic whistle on Mario Bros. 3, and you play it, if I'm not mistaken it plays the same tune as the whistle in Zelda! Figger that!

Starkist
03-21-2002, 06:41 PM
Yup. They look alike too. However, the whistle in Zelda is called a Recorder.

The Silent Assassin
03-21-2002, 09:46 PM
You just realized this?

Wow...I also recently discovered the Recorder noise in Legend of ZELDA, the magic whistle noise in Super Mario Bros 3, and one of the intruments in the intro theme to Ocarina of Time all have the same sound!

Dracula
03-21-2002, 10:20 PM
I"ve known about those for a long time, already. I guess its just a part of Nintendo's signitures, I guess...:eyebrow:

Mak-X
03-22-2002, 01:05 AM
Yeah, that isn't new. I've known about that since Super Mario Bros. 3 first came out for the NES and I found the Warp Whistles (or rather got the warp whistles aftering looking it up). It even has a little Tornado/whirlwind take Mario away. If you've played Super Smash Bros. you might remember there was a tornado on the Hyrule Castle stage.

inori
03-22-2002, 02:47 AM
And SMB3 and A Link to the Past share the Chain Chomp enemy. (This was a recent question in the MPQ Game.)

Menokh
03-22-2002, 02:56 AM
In Super Mario RPG, Link can be found asleep in Rose Town at one point in the game.

I've heard that the mario games take place on the same planet in the same universe as Zelda, at the same time as ALttP. No clue if thats true or intended, but hell, who knows.

mrz84
03-22-2002, 03:01 AM
that would be just spooky man. :kawaii:

The Silent Assassin
03-22-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by inori
And SMB3 and A Link to the Past share the Chain Chomp enemy. (This was a recent question in the MPQ Game.)

As did Link's Awakening. It is called a "Chain-Omp".

Dragon Omega
03-22-2002, 04:06 AM
Their story lines are pretty much the same as well.

Mario:princess peach (toadstool)gets captured, go through worlds in a certain order to, fight big ugly boss,rescue princess.

Link:princess zelda is in some way incapacitated, link goes through dungeons in a certain order, fight big ugly boss, save princess.

I'm sure everyone has notiiced this by now, and if they didn't they know now.:mischief:

The Silent Assassin
03-22-2002, 04:42 AM
OH MY GOD!
THEY WERE BOTH MADE BY THE SAME GUY!
NO WAY! THAT IS SO DAMN COOL!

Dragon Omega
03-22-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by TSA

OH MY GOD!

If you were refering to my post:
Oh hush...at least he could have been original...

If not, ignore the previous.

(Sorry I had to break up the quote, but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to do the whole quote at once...) :mischief:

Mak-X
03-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
OH MY GOD!

HOLLY CRAP! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!1
THE SAME GUY MAKES ZELDA AND MARIO!? GET OUT OF HERE!
WOW THAT'S UNBELIEVABLE! HE MAKES ALL THOSE NINTENDO GAMES!
THAT GUY SHOULD GET A AWARD FOR HIS WORK!!

Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
As did Link's Awakening. It is called a "Chain-Omp".

Bow-wow was one of the best parts of the game. While you walked him, he ate all the enemies.

Originally posted by Menokh
I've heard that the mario games take place on the same planet in the same universe as Zelda, at the same time as ALttP. No clue if thats true or intended, but hell, who knows.

No, the Mario and Zelda games do not take place on the same planet and the same universe as Zelda. Link and Samus Aran make cameo appearences in Super Mario RPG as sorta a injoke to Nintendo fans. Besides, there'd be ? mark boxes everywhere with people being able to jump on enemies to kill them along with Golf Courses, Go-Karts, and anything else that wouldn't fit into the Zelda world. They do not take place in the same world. Mario, Luigi, and Peach have alteregos in Zelda games though in the form of Talon(Mario), Tarin(Mario), Malon(Peach), Marin(Peach), Ingo(Luigi) and their doubles in Majora's Mask's world of Termina.

Another cross game character appearence is in F-Zero X. One of the racers is James McCloud, who is Fox McCloud's father in Star Fox. In F-Zero X James McCloud is human instead of a fox but his appearence is still the same with his sunglasses and clothing like Fox's. His machine is even a modified version of his early Arwing fighter that you see in a game over screen in the original Starfox called "Little Wyrven". There's also a character called Zoda in F-Zero X which is also the name of the boss of Startropics. His profile even says something about trying to take over Earth. There's also Mr. EAD who is basically a version of Mario, and I think even has a Starman on his outfit. EAD is the Nintendo team that developed F-Zero X and I think is the group Miyamoto belongs to. Also in F-Zero X on of the tracks is the Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64.

From reading Nintendo Power, in Pikmin Captain Olimar's name "Olimar" is a rearrangment of the world "Mario" with a "L" added.

bonegolem
03-22-2002, 12:36 PM
I've also noticed that Tarin resembles Mario... I think since Link's Awakening was all a dream Tarin was an incarnation of Talon! The guy in the hen house in Link's Awakening must be the incarnation of Ingo! Plus the Goombas and Phirrana Plants in Link's Awakening came from SMB...

Do you really see Link asleep in SMB RPG? I wanna see a screenshot of that!

DarkDragoonX
03-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bonegolem
Do you really see Link asleep in SMB RPG? I wanna see a screenshot of that!

I don't have a pic on hand, but he's there, and if you try to talk to him, you hear the "secret" sound from The Legend of Zelda. :)

mrz84
03-22-2002, 02:02 PM
sleep in rose town anytime after defeating bowyer to see link sleeping in the other bed. to see samus, go to mushroom kingdom after defeating yardovich or whatever his name is. between his defeat and the defeat of the megasmilax plant in bean valley, you can see samus in the mushroom kingdom castle's guest room. shes says: im resting for mother brain or something like that. she dissapears after you reach nimbus land. :kawaii:

Mak-X
03-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by bonegolem
I've also noticed that Tarin resembles Mario... I think since Link's Awakening was all a dream Tarin was an incarnation of Talon! The guy in the hen house in Link's Awakening must be the incarnation of Ingo! Plus the Goombas and Phirrana Plants in Link's Awakening came from SMB...

I never noticed the hen house guy's resemblence to Luigi, because its been a long time since I played Link's Awakening and can't remember the hen house guy. I used to be naive and claim that Marin was supposed to be Princess Zelda and Tarin looked like Link's uncle while it was obvious the other way around. Marin does resemble Princess Zelda though.

mrz84
03-22-2002, 03:13 PM
I never noticed the hen house guy's resemblence to Luigi, because its been a long time since I played Link's Awakening and can't remember the hen house guy. I used to be naive and claim that Marin was supposed to be Princess Zelda and Tarin looked like Link's uncle while it was obvious the other way around. Marin does resemble Princess Zelda though. they do sorta resemble them. :kawaii:

The Silent Assassin
03-22-2002, 03:52 PM
I think they are all in the same "universe", the Nintendo franchises. I also used to think The Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule were both in the same world.